PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Dynamic Range expander ?I

ALTEC9846-8A
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I have an old Dbx118 dynamic range enhancer that I brought a long time ago. I used it with records because in those days the dynamic range of records were compressed to get the max number of grooves per LP. I now have a CD player and am wondering if the dynamic range of CDs are compressed?Do not get this mixed up with compressing the file size. I think these are two diferent things.If anyone knows if I still should use this unit please let me know. Thanks

loach71
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I have an old Dbx118 dynamic range enhancer that I brought a long time ago. I used it with records because in those days the dynamic range of records were compressed to get the max number of grooves per LP. I now have a CD player and am wondering if the dynamic range of CDs are compressed?Do not get this mixed up with compressing the file size. I think these are two diferent things.If anyone knows if I still should use this unit please let me know. Thanks

Some CDs are horribly compressed -- seach for "CD Volume Wars" for more information. I'd keep the unit -- it has a compression threshold / level setting that you can adust to suit your taste...

Rolf
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi. You don't need the Dbx. If you buy well recorded CD's all the dynamic is there ... that is if you have a good CD player/Pre/Power etc .. etc.

I had a Dbx unit once, (don't know if it is the same), and I can remember it was "breathing", and did worse to the music than good.

duaneage
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I've owned a 3 band dbx compressor/expandor for over 20 years. Love it. You need at least a 3 band unit to get good results, and you can't overdo the effect or it pumps too much.

CD's usually don't need much help but onder recordings can benefit from a little expansion since they squeezed them a bit back in the day to overcome tape hiss. Like anything else YMMV and it depends on what you listen to.

toddalin
02-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I also have a dBx 118 and used to use it mainly with vinyl, making tapes, and even just a little on CDs. But, the new Yammie (RX-Z9) has three levels of expansion/compression built in that perform these chores in the digital realm so like my 31-band eq units (also done in the digital realm now), this was relegated to "closet duty." Maybe your current processor also includes some form of expansion?