PDA

View Full Version : First Post

MichaelJBL1
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey guys first post, been reading your forum for a bit now and I have to say without a doubt that I have become quite a hard core JBL nut. It all started about 2 years ago with a set of L100 that set turned into 2 sets and my music kept sounding better and better then a couple higher end JBL additions by now I think most of you guys can see were this went, and it sounds so good that after 35 years of building audio systems it almost brings a tear of joy and happiness when ever I listen to my favorite songs and think of what I have missed for all of the years in the past. I have up loaded a picture of the right channel I think? You have a great site I will make a donation.

MichaelJBL1

Sets
L100 x2
L200
L300
JRX 118

JBLHOME.jpg (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30702&stc=1&d=1201742037)

macaroonie
01-30-2008, 06:59 PM
So what are you driving that channel with then ? Head cheese 250 or 500 ?:D

MichaelJBL1
01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
The power plant for the JBL wall of sound is 2 Yamaha M85 1 SAE 501 1 Crown CE 2000 for the Subs. And my thread name should have been my 2nd post.

MichaelJBL 1

:)

SUPERBEE
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Pair that down to just the L-300, polish the woodwork and put the grills back on, get a couple of MAC 240s or 2 MC 75's plus a good MAC tube Pre and you are in business in that one room.

richluvsound
01-31-2008, 03:07 AM
Hi Mike,

I have arranged for someone to come round and measure you up for the
straight jacket ( JBL branded ) Don't worry we all have one :D
Great collection you have. All joking aside, your very welcome and I look forward
to your future threads and posts . Do you "tinker"?

Rich

Chas
01-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Welcome, your post describes a situation that is very familiar to me over here!:)

The vintage JBL stuff may not do all the tricks that some big dollar systems do today, but they push all the right buttons for me.

If you haven't modernized the crossover capacitors, you're in for another surprise. It is utterly amazing what these drivers and systems are capable of.

boputnam
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I have up loaded a picture of the right channel...

Sets
L100 x2
L200
L300
JRX 118

Very impressive. Although, you run these all at the same time?

:scold:

I worry about inter-cabinet phasing cancellations. There's a ton of opportunities for trouble in a stack like that.

For one, that JRX118S is positive - confirmed this via JBL Professional Tech Note Volume 1 No. 12C (http://www.jblpro.com/tech-library/JBL_TechNoteN1V12C_v5.pdf). The JRX series are cone out on (+), so will be outa phase with most of the other woofers you have stacked there.

Also, the L100's are positive, so will be outa phase.

Gadzooks - think of what you are not hearing... :o:

Chas
01-31-2008, 12:43 PM

Bo, I think that's the first "postive" thing you have said about L100"s!:D

JBL 4645
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Welcome aboard. MichaelJBL1 :)

Nice selection of JBL you have there to experiment with different mixes.:p

boputnam
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Bo, I think that's the first "postive" thing you have said about L100"s!:DDoh!! :banghead:

:rotfl: Good one!

MichaelJBL1
01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Very impressive. Although, you run these all at the same time?

:scold:

I worry about inter-cabinet phasing cancellations. There's a ton of opportunities for trouble in a stack like that.

For one, that JRX118S is positive - confirmed this via JBL Professional Tech Note Volume 1 No. 12C (http://www.jblpro.com/tech-library/JBL_TechNoteN1V12C_v5.pdf). The JRX series are cone out on (+), so will be outa phase with most of the other woofers you have stacked there.

Gadzooks - think of what you are not hearing... :o:

Well let me say first you are making some quick assumptions about my setup proper phasing is a must and I check this with my function generator and my O scope and couple of microphones compare right and left side for in phase operation and amplitude level output, this is one place concerning JBL speaker design that their was a mistake, and to compound the problem every body and their uncle parts out and sells the drivers to DIY repairs with the drivers and then wires them out of phase I found this with one of my L100. Concerning my speaker stack if take into account time alignment and normalize the speaker output power you can attain a near perfect sound stage and imaging the best I have heard in quite some time but it also takes alot of tweeking of the system to get there. After all I joined this forum because we all have something common we love vintage JBL speakers. :p

MichaelJBL1
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard. MichaelJBL1 :)

Nice selection of JBL you have there to experiment with different mixes.:p

Hi and thanks for the hello, I am am always tinkering with the system and listening to great sounding music as often as I can.;)

MichaelJBL1
01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Welcome, your post describes a situation that is very familiar to me over here!:)

The vintage JBL stuff may not do all the tricks that some big dollar systems do today, but they push all the right buttons for me.

If you haven't modernized the crossover capacitors, you're in for another surprise. It is utterly amazing what these drivers and systems are capable of.

I am thinking about the charge coupling Xovers I need to read up on the subject but hey if it good enough for JBL`s top of line monitors that says something.

boputnam
02-01-2008, 04:03 AM
Well let me say first you are making some quick assumptions about my setup proper phasing is a must and I check this with my function generator and my O scope and couple of microphones compare right and left side for in phase operation and amplitude level output, this is one place concerning JBL speaker design that their was a mistake, and to compound the problem every body and their uncle parts out and sells the drivers to DIY repairs with the drivers and then wires them out of phase I found this with one of my L100. Concerning my speaker stack if take into account time alignment and normalize the speaker output power you can attain a near perfect sound stage and imaging the best I have heard in quite some time but it also takes alot of tweeking of the system to get there. After all I joined this forum because we all have something common we love vintage JBL speakers. :pWell, if I think I understand what you say, that is all fine and good - but I am talking about each band pass. Uh, woofer to woofer, and mid-range to mid-range, and tweet to tweet, so to speak. Unless you have bypassed all the passive crossovers and are directly controlling each element of each cabinet, with not only phasing but also delay and gain, you cannot achieve what you believe you have.

But I'm really glad it sounds good to you! :)

MichaelJBL1
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, if I think I understand what you say, that is all fine and good - but I am talking about each band pass. Uh, woofer to woofer, and mid-range to mid-range, and tweet to tweet, so to speak. Unless you have bypassed all the passive crossovers and are directly controlling each element of each cabinet, with not only phasing but also delay and gain, you cannot achieve what you believe you have.

But I'm really glad it sounds good to you! :)

Bo first thanks for your comments, I have learn some interesting JBL information from this forum. In retrospect I should have only posted one set of speakers at a time and of course no L100`s but even this much maligned speaker can useful if tailored correctly. I now how some of you guys feel about us rackers and stackers no matter how much time and equipment is utilized tweeking and tuning the arrays so be it, my philosophy always has been what ever floats your boat and the sound that I hear hydroplanes my boat. About twice a year I stop by the local Hi End snob audio shop and listen to what there are sell for top of line audio, not even close to the sound quality of 40 year old JBL monitors and thats if you have 25k to spend and don`t forget the $600 inter connects.:blink:

MichaelJBL1
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Mike,

I have arranged for someone to come round and measure you up for the
straight jacket ( JBL branded ) Don't worry we all have one :D
Great collection you have. All joking aside, your very welcome and I look forward
to your future threads and posts . Do you "tinker"?

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for the welcome, my wife has bought me this really nice white dinner jacket the sleeves are way to long and it`s stenciled JBL 5150 straight jacket club. And yes I like to tinker.

MichaelJBL1
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Pair that down to just the L-300, polish the woodwork and put the grills back on, get a couple of MAC 240s or 2 MC 75's plus a good MAC tube Pre and you are in business in that one room.

First let me say I don`t need no stinking speakers covers at least thats what I say to my wife as I am putting the covers on the speakers with exception of the L100`s that is one speaker model that after a couple of years the cover disappear on their own. See that your a gear flipper me too 92 corvette 6 speed tuned and tricked out. Oh tube amps thats a another thread.

boputnam
02-04-2008, 03:41 AM
...I have learn some interesting JBL information from this forum. Yea, Don had vision, that's for sure.

...In retrospect I should have only posted one set of speakers at a time...I wish you had! I've lost so much sleep! Oh - maybe that is the jetlag from SanFran to Cape Town talking... :p

... and of course no L100`sNow, I think I love you... :)

Chas
02-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Now, I think I love you... :)

:rotfl: