PDA

View Full Version : S5800 Floor Spikes

WullieD20
01-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Can any technically knowledgable clever clogs tell me what thread is cut on to the floor spikes of the K2 S5800? Seems from something I've read recently that "it's a devilish American thread of some sort", but a thread is a thread to an engineer and as I suspect it's certainly not metric, I assume it'll be something like a UNF (?). Unfortunately the spikes supplied with this model are only fit for hard wood floors and not suitable for penetrating carpet to enable complete stability!! (they'll have to go!!) Cheers.;)

timc
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I cant be sure, but I would guess 1/4" threads.

-Tim

WullieD20
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks, but I don't think so as the overall diameter is much nearer 0.5" !!

Andyoz
01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Come on Gordon, post a piccie of the new recruits.:)

macaroonie
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
You are back then and with some booty. You are amongst friends here so no secrets. What where when and how much.
As for your spikes they will most likely be 1/4" or approx 6mm. You can most easily source such from a US accessory maker or go to Fyfe and McGrouther in Kennedy St and get some 1/4 " threaded rod and ask them for the name of a small eng shop to turn them off for you or take the rod to work and get your guys to do it. BAe innit ? Any dope with a lathe can do this in 5 mins, just make sure you have the correct acoustic taper. ( Morse )

WullieD20
01-30-2008, 05:06 AM
C'mon Mac, read the original post. These things are far closer to 7/16" or 12-14mm, although I haven't had the chance to thread gauge them yet. They're pretty fine threads too, like UNF. As soon as I determine the exact spec of the thread I will be able to manufacture new ones, (yep, even this dope can do that!) as the cones on the originals are far too shallow to penetrate carpets and do the intended job! More importantly, I've spent many hours pondering, demo'ing and building the savings account, so I am now the proud owner of a pair of K2 S5800s. Although just out of the box, they are absolutely sublime and can only improve with age! Photo to follow. Incidentally, how're your little babies coming along? P.S. (Thot Morse was a detective???)

porschedpm
01-30-2008, 06:32 AM
You might check the tech sheets at:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10661

They don't give the actual dimensions of the thread but they at least give a part number: 340805-002.

The Tech sheets indicate the spikes and the insert they thread into are brass. If you're making your own, I'd make them out of brass also so you don't bung up the threads on the inserts.

porschedpm
01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Do you really need different spikes though? A quick look at the owners manual indicates the spikes supplied with the speakers are good for both wood and carpeted floors. Here's an excerpt:

FLOOR REQUIREMENTS
The floor in the location selected
for setting up the Project K2 S5800
speakers must be capable of supporting
a load of 185 lb (84kg).
Because of the coupling effect of
the stainless steel feet, a flat, hard
surface such as wood or linoleum
is preferable. However, the design
of the loudspeaker’s coupling system,
along with the speaker’s
extreme weight, should result in
excellent performance on any
surface, even on carpets.
To prevent indentations on wood
or linoleum floors caused by the
weight of the loudspeaker, always
utilize the enclosed coasters. Do
not set up the Project K2 S5800
system directly on a ceramic tile
floor; the concentrated weight
might cause the tiles to crack.

WullieD20
01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks porschedpm.
The spec sheet is very interesting and the supplied spikes are certainly manufactured in brass, so I would use brass also.
However, although the instructions indicate multi purpose use, they also mention: "the coupling of the stainless steel feet", which seems to be a contradiction!
The spikes supplied will not under any circumstances penetrate a quality carpet, so subsequently the whole speaker sits on the carpet with no scope for creating either good stability (actaully non-existent) or the ability to level / adjust phase angles. Under the circumstances, the spikes must penetrate the carpet to achieve solid contact with the floor structure. Seems strange that most American speaker manufacturers supply long pointed spikes for this very purpose (See Wilson etc), while JBL consider shallow spikes (something around 120/130 degree point!) will suffice.