PDA

View Full Version : Venting My Dustcap

fporfidio@opton
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
ok-here goes-i'm venting a little here! i wasn't going to say anything until i read the "forum rules" now, keep in mind, i've used jbl exclusively my whole pro audio career! i've been on the road since mid 1970's (if you want a resume contact me-i don't want to bore others with that)anyway, the one thing that really burns me up is the way jbl treats thier pro users! we are the people who MADE jbl what/who they are!!! we open a diaphragm box and the warranty is void meanwhile a dj buys a box with unlimited 5 year warranty-CLEARLY ABUSES said product and all abused components are replaced-FREE OF CHARGE-how does that work??? i could go on for hours on this but i won't. anybody else care to chime in on this?? now remember, i'm not bashing the product just policy.....frank p.s. the only people who get treated worse are the authorized service centers(i worked at one for a few years)

johnaec
01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Have you checked with the guys over at prosoundweb.com to get their take? Were you dealing with JBL directly or a service center? I'm curious what exactly happened. This doesn't sound like normal JBL Pro to me. I know a number of members here that have had very good response from JBL getting recent model pro stuff repaired under warranty, even when bought used. Maybe your contact was having a bad day... :dont-know

John

subwoof
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
"we open a diaphragm box and the warranty is void "

JBL sells repair parts to auth repair centers for a reason.....improper installation ruins them and only the actual center can send the item back if defective.

Because of the tight tolerances and manufacturing variables, not every diaphram can fit into every driver. A good dealer will have *more than one* to pick from that will fit and can be aligned. If you only buy one OTC, you are SOL if it won't align.

I once had a batch of (6) 2425 dia's that were OVAL right out of the box and I sent them back to JBL for replacement. We were schedule C+D dealers but not technically a repair center so it took some yelling. I had to talk to a service tech and tell him that the micrometer measured OVER 50 mils difference on EACH one.

I've had numerous new dia's with glue spilled over onto the coil or former that had to be straightned and every once in awhile, a foam surround type kit will come into the shop WITH foam rot!

JBL service used to be great until the bean counters from the borg took over and foisted the junk lines ( TR / JRX ) onto the public. Hearing those at a function makes me cringe.

sub

edgewound
01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
we open a diaphragm box and the warranty is void meanwhile a dj buys a box with unlimited 5 year warranty-CLEARLY ABUSES said product and all abused components are replaced-FREE OF CHARGE-how does that work??? i could go on for hours on this but i won't. anybody else care to chime in on this?? now remember, i'm not bashing the product just policy.....frank p.s. the only people who get treated worse are the authorized service centers(i worked at one for a few years)

JBL does not have an UNLIMITED warranty....where'd you get that from?

TR/SF/JRX tweeter voice coils come in constantly fried to a crisp here. They don't get a free ride....they get an education on how to actually use the stuff within it's capabilites....which are always pushed over the edge.

Next time they come in for the same problem....they tell me, "oops, Ken....I fried it again....wasn't paying attention....had too many beers...feedback again. Did you say something about comp/limiter and clipping? How much is that thing?"

These entry level guys never buy what they need, but they will spend the "needed" amount over a year on repairs.

A fried coil should never be warranteed....a pro should know better.

Subwoof is right about the tolerances....they are tight and lots can go wrong without proper install prep.