PDA

View Full Version : The CONCRETE Turntable

Hofmannhp
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi All,

here's the first pic of my new DIY turntable built complete in concrete.
Weight about 10kg (21pounds).
Built in direct drive and a SME 3009 III.

HP

Mr. Widget
01-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Cool project... how are you suspending it?

Reminds me of the Kenwood KD-500 and KD-600 turntables. Actually the Kenwoods are even heavier than yours. :eek:

Widget

macaroonie
01-26-2008, 11:45 AM
One or two suggestions. Get yourself a flat surface mat not ribbed. There are many available and you HI FI dealer will have some for sure. Try to find a Michell Gyromat. Remove the little rubber grommets at the base of the SME they do not help. Bolt the arm down to the mounting firmly.
Best wishes mac

Krunchy
01-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Very Nice HP, concrete is a highly versatile & underated "medium". What type of arm & cartridge did you use for your project?

Hofmannhp
01-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Very Nice HP, concrete is a highly versatile & underated "medium". What type of arm & cartridge did you use for your project?

Krunchy,..I use the SME 3009 III with a Shure V15 V

HP

btw: Happy B-day Macaroonie

Hofmannhp
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Reminds me of the Kenwood KD-500 and KD-600 turntables. Actually the Kenwoods are even heavier than yours. :eek:
Widget

Hi Widget,

I made the cast upside down for a good surface.
Took some exactly cutted wooden parts for the places where some parts need their position and for the cabeling. For the fastening of the screws, I built in some thread inserts. When the concrete was ready and hard, I removed the srews and the wooden parts and the thread insert were on exact position.

HP

rs237
01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Hello HP,

really CONCRETE :thmbsup:, is this a Granite Basis ?

regards
juergen

Hoerninger
01-26-2008, 01:09 PM
HP,

you are a skilled craftsman for concret (Betonfacharbeiter). :D
What about showing the bottom side - it would be more interesting for me. :yes:

["Slogan of the day" Mass can't be substituted by anything.]

Mr. Widget
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi Widget,

I made the cast upside down for a good surface.What I was wondering was if you were using springs, soft rubber pads, or any other type of suspension.

Widget

Hofmannhp
01-26-2008, 04:32 PM
What I was wondering was if you were using springs, soft rubber pads, or any other type of suspension.
Widget

no Widget,

I was going the other way....wanted to build a very stiff unit with the motor, the mass of concrete and the tonearm. The concrete will be laying on four rubber air filled shock absorbers for isolation from sound and shockwaves.

Peter: a pic from the bottom side will folow

HP

Hofmannhp
01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
HP,

you are a skilled craftsman for concret (Betonfacharbeiter). :D
What about showing the bottom side - it would be more interesting for me. :yes:

["Slogan of the day" Mass can't be substituted by anything.]

here it is

HP

Krunchy
01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Very Nice! :applaud:
You can get pretty Funky with Concrete. :D Absolutely!
A lot of achitects and designers are using it these days.
A japanese gentleman in the west coast does some incredible work with it. Must be fun!

Concrete Countertops: Design, Form, and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bath (Paperback)
by Fu-Tung Cheng (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/102-0935403-2564154?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Fu-Tung%20Cheng)

gauger44
01-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Widget
I actually have a KD-600 that hasn't been used in years. I'm thinking about dusting it off. The base is made of concrete and resin, and weighs around 30 lbs. Is it worth the effort?

jblnut
01-28-2008, 06:47 AM
By most accounts it is definitely worth it, especially if you like to play your records on the loud side :).

jblnut

I actually have a KD-600 that hasn't been used in years. I'm thinking about dusting it off. The base is made of concrete and resin, and weighs around 30 lbs. Is it worth the effort?

gauger44
01-28-2008, 10:28 PM
JBL and LOUD? Never!