PDA

View Full Version : JBL D110-F dustcaps

Roy Boltz
01-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I recently bought a Fender solid state amp dated from 1970, one of the zodiak series "Taurus" 2x10 combos.
It has a pair of JBL D110-F speakers, but the dustcaps are an orange or copper color aluminum.
Does anyone know if they could be factory with these dustcaps, or are they aftermarket?
Any help will be apreciated!

Roy

edgewound
01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
I recently bought a Fender solid state amp dated from 1970, one of the zodiak series "Taurus" 2x10 combos.
It has a pair of JBL D110-F speakers, but the dustcaps are an orange or copper color aluminum.
Does anyone know if they could be factory with these dustcaps, or are they aftermarket?

Roy

Could be discolored from age and smoky nightclubs...or a smoky house.

Pics would help, but it's not unusual to see yellowed caps.

Roy Boltz
01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Could be discolored from age and smoky nightclubs...or a smoky house.

Pics would help, but it's not unusual to see yellowed caps.

Well,,,these are definately an orange copper color, they almost look like they are anodized this color as the speakers are clean & mint.
I don't now how I can post pics as I switched servers recently & have yet to figure out how to store photos on my web space.
I could send an email to you if you would be interested in seeing them.

Roy

BMWCCA
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Just scroll down to "additional options" below your reply message and click on Attach Files "manage attachments" and you can upload photos from your computer to this site. It's pretty self explanatory and doesn't require you to have another photo hosting site. Or you can get a free photo-hosting account at any number of sites such as Photobucket.com and link to your account which will display images in your LH posts as long as their URL stays the same.

John
01-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Take a look.

Don C
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
It looks like it's been alodine treated.

Roy Boltz
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks John for posting that for me!

Alodine treated? what is that Don?

Roy Boltz
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Just scroll down to "additional options" below your reply message and click on Attach Files "manage attachments" and you can upload photos from your computer to this site. It's pretty self explanatory and doesn't require you to have another photo hosting site. Or you can get a free photo-hosting account at any number of sites such as Photobucket.com and link to your account which will display images in your LH posts as long as their URL stays the same.

Thanks alot!!!,,I didn't know you could do this here,,,,that's great!

Don C
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
We used to do it at work, it improves the corrosion resistance of aluminum. Do some googling.

johnaec
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I seem to remember way back when and seeing those orange domes peeking through a certain series of Fender grilles.

John

Roy Boltz
01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the input! I was hoping someone would have seen these before,,,good chance they are indeed original I would think.

johnaec
01-25-2008, 06:19 AM
My memory *might* not be perfect. :) There's also a chance it may have been done after the fact, looking at the slight discoloration of the cone, like something was absorbed/wicked off...

John

Roy Boltz
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
My memory *might* not be perfect. :) There's also a chance it may have been done after the fact, looking at the slight discoloration of the cone, like something was absorbed/wicked off...

John

Indeed, you could be right, personally I just don't think they have been reconed though.

John
01-26-2008, 06:19 PM

John

I have seen that discoloration on many 110,s and they did not have the orange dust caps.:blah:

LenMinNJ
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM

I have a 1970 Fender Libra amp and it has four factory-original JBL D-120F 12-inch speakers. All of them have the copper-colored dust cap.

Roy Boltz
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow, 4x12's, that must be some serious air getting pushed with that amplifier.

LenMinNJ
03-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Oddly enough, though its rated at 105 W, my early 70's non-master volume Twin Reverb is much, much louder.

Roy Boltz
03-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, 100 tube watts are much louder, if you used those speakers with your twin it would be crazy headroom.
I recently heard a Rivera type Fender combo at the Vancouver guitar show with a single D130 & it was lovely clean.

John
03-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah, 100 tube watts are much louder, if you used those speakers with your twin it would be crazy headroom.
I recently heard a Rivera type Fender combo at the Vancouver guitar show with a single D130 & it was lovely clean.

Hey Roy, How did you manage to haul all your guitars to Van?:rockon1:

Roy Boltz
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Roy, How did you manage to haul all your guitars to Van?:rockon1:

I went with PODS, it worked out perfect, just managed to fit it all in a 8'x7' container.;)