PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 19's - 1000 bucks...?

DaCarlson
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Is paying 1000 bucks for model 19's to much? They're in great shape. I'm not really sure what these are worth.

edgewound
01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Is paying 1000 bucks for Model 19's too much? They're in great shape. I'm not really sure what these are worth.

That entirely depends on what you plan to do with them.

Enjoy them? Resell them? Are they worth that much to you? They probably are worth more to some....less to others.

If your intent is to make a quick buck by reselling you'll probably be unsuccessful...especially right now. It's a buyer's market.

If you plan on enjoying them for a while, you could do worse.

It's all full of grey areas.

lgvenable
01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
More like platinum, not gold coins.
PM me if interested; I have a great set I'd let go at 20% of that price.
Larry

spwal
01-23-2008, 06:02 PM
model 19 altecs guys. 1000 is a pretty sweet price in great condition. i paid alot more for mine. alot more.

TnTn
01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
$1K is a very decent deal but I have not checked the current market price. Not sure how picky you are but make sure the wood is in good or renewable shape. The base should still be there but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I would probably bring a small mirror with handle that could be put through the cabinet slot. I would check to make sure that the woofer is 416-8B (Alnico and not the 8C which is ceramic). You might want to do some quick searches on the buy/sell forum as I posted some inspection tips for this speaker a while back. Good luck.

John
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I would check to make sure that the woofer is 416-8B (Alnico and not the 8C which is ceramic).

And what if it is the ceramic?

edgewound
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
And what if it is the ceramic?

I doubt it makes a bit of difference. That's like saying all the JBL ceramic drivers are useless.

I guess a seller could make a point that alnico is worth more...but then again the price should be about what the seller is willing to settle for.

That's what determines value.

RussinOhio
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
You really would not need a mirror to check the woofer. Just slip your hand into the slot like I did when I first bought mine. The back of the woofer should feel like what the pic below looks like IF it is a 416-8B....meaning the magnet should be "stepped" as you see in the pic. The ceramic -c magnet has FLAT sides on the magnet. As for the difference, well the Alnico 416-8B has more value to purist-collectors while the ceramic does not. Both sound exactly the same to me however.

TnTn
01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Russ,

Good idea. I don't remember if the slot is big enough for the forearm (sp?) to get through though. I have a pile of other speakers (Model 14 and 4311) sitting in front of my Model 19 so I don't have easy access to it. The 19 is still the best of the bunch though.

John,

I don't have any direct experience, but from reading on the Altec forum, it seems like the cabinet is tuned to the 8B and that the bass sounds kinda light with the 8C. Maybe I should have suggested to the OP to do some readings as well. I think Russ has a pair with 8C so I am a bit surprised he didn't chime in.

T.

RussinOhio
01-27-2008, 01:24 PM
My hand easily slips into the slot halfway up my forearm, FWIW. I was able to confirm that I had 416-8Bs although the 1978 mfg. date on the connection panel could have confirmed that as well. If I'm not mistaken, the 19 system was made from 1976 to 1982 and units 1980 & beyond have 416-8C woofers. The 1979 year possibly having 8Bs OR 8Cs. Anyhow, I'd advise anyone poking their hand around in the vent to proceed carefully so as not to accidently put a finger through the cone! (NO....I have'nt done THAT.:)