PDA

View Full Version : 2235H Substitutes?

objektivityNY
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok I have had some bad experiences with some re-cone jobs on 2235h's. We do a lot of dance music at high levels and the 2235's foam job seems to just go kaput. Anyone had any good experiences with using TAD 1601b's as a replacement? Or for that matter any other drivers....anything that i would have to adjust or account for in the process? Thanks alot...you guys are great here.

peace
Dennis Ferrer

readswift
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.bobhodas.com/pub3.html
:idea:

ehm i might need some voice coils can i contact you then ? :)

A sealed subwoofer wont blow on you , thats for sure.

SMKSoundPro
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Are you using 2235 - 15" woofers for high level dance music?

Dood!, We gotta talk!!!

Welcome to the forum! There is SO much to learn around here. Please stick around and tell us more about your rig.

Scotty.

Zilch
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Help me, now:

JBL never used 2235H in an SR system, right?

Robh3606
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
JBL never used 2235H in an SR system, right?

Yes that's right. Cinema?? Not sure, they used 2225/26/27's with subs under. 2242 would get the job done.

Rob:)

objektivityNY
01-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Are you using 2235 - 15" woofers for high level dance music?

Dood!, We gotta talk!!!

Welcome to the forum! There is SO much to learn around here. Please stick around and tell us more about your rig.

Scotty.

LMAO!

in my 4430's yeah. seems like a i've got a bad recone job on em...so i'm looking for a replacement. Gonna try the guy down in Pompton Lakes tommorrow...for another recone. I'll cross my fingers but if anyone again has any suggestions...lemme know

jbl4ever
01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Are you spinning a TT. Put a 30Hz filter on. I have destroyed many 2235's
4 in 1 listening session 2 Christmas's ago. Also the amps tripped both 20
breakers on the back of them. Quite a bit more than they are rated for.
Krells 1 JBL-4:biting:

readswift
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
digitl crossover provides DC filtering too

SMKSoundPro
01-22-2008, 07:01 AM
LMAO!

in my 4430's yeah. seems like a i've got a bad recone job on em...so i'm looking for a replacement. Gonna try the guy down in Pompton Lakes tommorrow...for another recone. I'll cross my fingers but if anyone again has any suggestions...lemme know
Here is the literature for those:
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

Also check out the JBL Service center list:
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/index.html

I don't know of any other cone drivers that are "better" than the 2235 for this box. Remember, the foam surround deteriorates with time. Sometimes the mass loading ring in the voice coil comes un-glued, and rattles.

Other than that, contact a JBL service center and recone. You might try some subs, or just turn it down.

Not being a smarta$$, just commenting on the facts.
scott.

speakerdave
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
You've provided no details about what you are doing---Portable or fixed installation? How big is the room? . . . so the amount of helpful specific advice you can get is limited.

I'm guessing you are EQing the bass, cranking the volume or both. Whatever. . . you are obviously overworking the 2235. If you like the sound of that woofer and want to keep using it, you need to get more of them. But if you are going to start changing your rig, you should probably redesign from the bottom up.

David

speakerdave
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Methinks something like this would solve your woofer problem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-SR4733X-SPEAKERS-X-4-WITH-DUAL-15-WITH-HORN-SRX_W0QQitemZ290198867263QQihZ019QQcategoryZ47094Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

I have no connection with the sale or seller, nor am I recommending this deal or the seller, but something like this is what you probably should be looking at. The bid price is for four of the two-way cabinets. The dual 15 subwoofer below does not seem to be included, and you wouldn't need it anyway. You'd need to make a road trip to the Carolinas. What would be wrong with that?

Edit: He has the subs in another auction. They are JBL cabinets with EV drivers, which I know nothing about. His prices seem high for the run of used PA stuff, but if they are as clean as he claims, they might be OK at that price. He already has one bid, though.

mikebake
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
LMAO!

Don't use 4430's for that application, or if you just, then use them filtered as mid/high tops with a sub under, as indicated above. And/or turn them down, as also suggested. They can "get it going" pretty good, but still are not PA material. Use the right tool for the job, bro.