PDA

View Full Version : 2 Part Question - L65 Jubals & 120ti's

chilledspode
01-21-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a very nice set of Jubals, which I like the sound of, and I have discovered a set 120ti's for sale but they are a long ways away.

Can some one tell me how the 120's will compare to the Jubals?

2nd question: I recently found some text on the internet that suggested there was a L65 and a L65 Jubal and they were quite different speakers - I have never heard of the L65 (non Jubal), what were these?

Thank you for your time

Mark

timc
01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
There are L65 Jubal, L65A Jubal and L65B

The A and B have a different woofer. You can find them under the technical references on this site.

I have compared the 240Ti's with my L65 Jubals and overall i liked the L65 better. Both the mid and highs were alot better in my oppinion. However the bass from the 14" woofer in the 240 was awesome.

-Tim

johnaec
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
There are L65 Jubal, L65A Jubal and L65B

The A and B have a different woofer.Actually, all three woofers are different:

L65 Jubal - 126A (alnico)
L65A - 122A (alnico)
L65B - 129H (ferrite)

128H (ferrite) is the recomment replacement if originals are unusable.

John

chilledspode
01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
What speaker considered the next evolution/step up from the L65 Jubal?

Cheers

Mark

johnaec
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
What speaker considered the next evolution/step up from the L65 Jubal?I'd consider it the 4315 studio monitor series.

John

jblnut
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I just purchased a set of 120Ti's from a fellow forum member and they are very nice speakers. The sound is incredibly smooth, especially in the mids and highs (love that 104H/044Ti combo). Personally I find it hard to believe that the Jubal would have a better mid/high-end than the 120TI but since I've not compared them I have no basis for that. I would expect better bass from the Jubal but I have to tell you the 120TI is no slouch in that department either. It's really a very nicely done 12 inch 3-way. Perhaps JBl's best effort in that configuration (L112 included, just my opinion).

jblnut

mike
01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
The 120Ti's are more neutral and laid back sounding. The Jubals are more forward and colorful sounding. You would probably be surprised at how different they sound being they are both 12" 3 way speakers. As to which sound is better is a matter of opinion.

Mike

timc
01-23-2008, 02:09 AM
I just purchased a set of 120Ti's from a fellow forum member and they are very nice speakers. The sound is incredibly smooth, especially in the mids and highs (love that 104H/044Ti combo). Personally I find it hard to believe that the Jubal would have a better mid/high-end than the 120TI but since I've not compared them I have no basis for that. I would expect better bass from the Jubal but I have to tell you the 120TI is no slouch in that department either. It's really a very nicely done 12 inch 3-way. Perhaps JBl's best effort in that configuration (L112 included, just my opinion).

jblnut

You are actually describing what i did not like about the 240Ti's. They were too smooth. When you got a hard hitting drum, or cymbal, the sound still was laidback. I find it hard to believe that is neutral. I agree that the L65 are a bit forward and colored, but IMO the 240Ti is colored in the opposite direction.

I have not listened to the 120Ti. Is there a big difference from the 240's?

-Tim

jblnut
01-23-2008, 06:01 AM
I haven't listened to them in the same room, but it's not hard to hear the similarities from the 120/240/250. As you go from 120 to 240 you gain deeper more authoritative bass (as you would expect). What is surprising though, is how good the bass is on the 120.
Moving up to the 250 the soundstage and imaging change a lot due to the much larger cabinet and higher placement of the drivers. You get a little more definition and impact with drums on the 250 (from the 8" driver) as well. I really like them all and I don't find them too laid back. But my horn-loaded speaker days are way behind me so perhaps I just prefer the flatter "monitor" sound of the Ti line.

To each his own I guess :).

jblnut

You are actually describing what i did not like about the 240Ti's. They were too smooth. When you got a hard hitting drum, or cymbal, the sound still was laidback. I find it hard to believe that is neutral. I agree that the L65 are a bit forward and colored, but IMO the 240Ti is colored in the opposite direction.

I have not listened to the 120Ti. Is there a big difference from the 240's?

-Tim

timc
01-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Sadly I have not been able to audition the 250's but i would guess they sound great with the added 8" :)

It would indeed be sad if we all agreed on what was best. ;)

-Tim

chilledspode
01-23-2008, 09:05 AM
The 120ti option has become unworkable and from what I am reading the Jubals are a pretty good speaker. I do like the bright forward character of the tweeters.

With respect to the 3 variants of the L65, I stumbled across a way to tell the difference but it was buried in a long thread , which I can't find now.... The reason I ask is my Jubals are out being serviced/overhauled and if there are refinements like the crossovers which should be undertaken, now is the time.

Starting at the upper left, when viewing the front of the speaker, moving clockwise, my driver orientation is: tweeter then midrange then name plate, the port is right below the name plate - is this sufficent to determine which version I have?

Cheers and thank you.

This site is a fantastic resource.

Mark

johnaec
01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
The original L65 Jubals say "L65 Jubal" on the front foilcals, whereas the later versions only say "L65A" or "L65B" - they don't have the word "Jubal" there.

John

chilledspode
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
LOL

That's too easy John. :-)

I am off to the technical forum to see if I should undertake modifications to these 1st generation L65...

By the way, in the 50 or so threads I waded through, only you managed to distill the differences down to such a succinct statement.

"read the label" :-)

Mark

SEAWOLF97
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
The original L65 Jubals say "L65 Jubal" on the front foilcals, whereas the later versions only say "L65A" or "L65B" - they don't have the word "Jubal" there.

John

Ok , next question ....L-166's. They were "HORIZONS" , but neither the 166 nor the 166A versions say Horizon anywhere.

johnaec
01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
The original L65 Jubals say "L65 Jubal" on the front foilcals, whereas the later versions only say "L65A" or "L65B" - they don't have the word "Jubal" there.I just need to slightly correct this - the L65A and L65B versions have the "A" or "B" after the serial number on the foilcals, located under the big letters that just say "L65".

John