PDA

View Full Version : Great Plains Audio

neanderthal
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a pair of 4350s and in the process of having them restored and making them 100%,restored cabinets,new 3107's,new OEM JBL diaphrams,new OEM JBL recones on everything.I went to Great Plains Audio yesterday to have the magnets recharged,regaussed,remagnetized (choose your preferable wording),because I did not want to have anything with the 4350's questionable and not 100%.One hell of a nice guy and he couldn't believe I drove all of that way to have this done.I told him that Great Plains Audio always came up when I asked about it and so here Iam.The woofers might not have needed it but now I know they will be 100% and nothing at all questionable when they are done.People seem to have different views about having it done,just as the JBL pro that is going to reconing them,he said do not worry about it they will be fine.Anyway when I walked into Great Plains he jumped on them which suprised me and explained the procedure which was interesting. I watched him do one of the 2231a's.He had to take the posts off of the baskets to fit into the fixture correctly.The fixture looks like a heavy duty what I will call a cup that had a wall thickness of approx 1"-1 1/2".The inside of the cup was lined with what looked like foam of approx 1/2"-3/4" thickness I assume was to keep the outside of the basket from contacting the walls of the inside of the cup it was put in.The woofer sit in it with cone facing up and all of the magnet was down into the cup.He had plates that he used to shim the speaker(magnet) height to the top of the cup.I was going to ask him if I could take a few pics (I know you guy's are big on pics)but I did not want to make him feel uneasy by a stranger he never saw before walking into his business snapping pics of everything.He had to hold the woofer in place as he said it could actually jump out of the fixture with as much as he is charging into it.The machine that he hooked to it had as he said was full of capacitors and had two meters on it,and was approx 3 ft high and 2 1/2-3 ft wide when he hit the switch the one meter swept up as the capacitors charged and this thing fired off he did it twice and that was all there was to it.If he didn't have to take the posts off of the baskets he could of done the 4 2231a's and the 2202a's in 10min no problem.When I came back to pick them up he said they are 100% charged like new and were easier to do than he first thought and wanted to charge me half of the original quote. I told him I appreciate it but no one gave you your equipment or knowledge so I will gladly pay you the original price,and was happy you got them done as fast as you did. He also had some Altec horns hanging from the rafters.They were pretty dusty and he said they were just some he came across over the years.Actually there was alot of stuff all over the place.I wish I had some knowledge of this stuff and know more of what is going on as I find it really interesting and to me it is like trying to understand japanese without babel fish,if that makes any sense.I read posts on here alot and do not have any useful knowledge to be able to add my .02.I guess I should of spent more of my younger years educating myself on this stuff or anything of value and legal,instead of concentrating on things that get you in trouble.I can only sit here and think how much of an idiot I was back in the day for wasting all of that time I can't get back.

JSF13
01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey ya know sometimes I wish I was an engineer,or as knowledgeaable as a lot of the people here to build and test all these systems,but I can thank God every day that at least I have a thirst for good sound and the help of some good people to find the best that I can afford.;)

Did you get to see any of the new 604 type drivers at GPA?

Joe:)

doodlebug
01-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I've been meaning to get over to GPA. Bill reconed a set of Altec 604s for me a couple of years ago and even supplied a missing horn for one of them. We're quite fortunate to have someone like him in our midst these days.

Cheers,

David

neanderthal
01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey ya know sometimes I wish I was an engineer,or as knowledgeaable as a lot of the people here to build and test all these systems,but I can thank God every day that at least I have a thirst for good sound and the help of some good people to find the best that I can afford.;)

Did you get to see any of the new 604 type drivers at GPA?

Joe:)
I didn't hang around all that long I didn't want to make him feel pressured,hurried ect to get the woofers done.I told him take as long as you want and we are working around your schedule and however long it take is just how long it takes.He did have a bunch of stuff,quite the interesting guy and very easy going,glad I drove them there instead of shipping them to him.

neanderthal
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I've been meaning to get over to GPA. Bill reconed a set of Altec 604s for me a couple of years ago and even supplied a missing horn for one of them. We're quite fortunate to have someone like him in our midst these days.

Cheers,

David
If you go there just remember it doesn't say Great Plains Audio on the front anywhere.All you have to go on to find the correct door is the number on the door 7127.One hell of a nice and knowledgable guy.

spkrman57
01-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I have bought many items from Bill and always satisfied totally with everything I have bought from him.

He is very personable and easy to talk with.

Great guy!

Ron

dbALE
01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
New 604

What's new or different as I will be ordering some soon.
thanks
Bryan

spkrman57
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I bought a pair a few years ago and they are at a friends house.

Very nice, but I have gone to a different project and hoping my cabinet maker who likes them will keep them.

I like the bigger compression drivers (1.4" and 2") over the 1" drivers.

Regards, Ron