PDA

View Full Version : Studer pro CD parts info, please!

Bob Womack
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi!

I've managed to secure a working Studer A730 CD player for home - lovely thing, actually - used by many mastering labs as their reference player. Mine was in service for several years in a studio. It still works, but the transport is beginning to mis-track and sometimes won't recognize CD-Rs. I got it by dumper diving. :D To my understanding, the A730 uses the Phillips CDM3 CD transport, plug and play. Does anyone know a reputable dealer who might have some pf these around, and what one might expect to pay to get ones hands on one of these?

I'm seeing the occasional CDM3 drive on Ebay, fetching anywhere from $69-$800. Quite the range, that. :D Many are offered form Hong Kong, and I'm trying to avoid the usual international purchase hassles by looking for domestic sources.

I happen to have used a couple of A730s for the last few years in the studios where I work. I'm pretty chuffed by the clear, smooth high-end and marvelous sound stage they offer when compared to many others. I also have a penchant for rehabilitating studio gear for use at home. ;)

Thanks,

Bob

Here's a pic of the player borrowed from Ebay:

http://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/d3/40/d866_12.JPG

Bob Womack
01-22-2008, 05:14 AM
No ideas? Thinking caps!

Bob

Earl K
01-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Bob,

Try FilmCo . (http://www.filmcO.ca/)

They may be able to offer up some leads , for parts or servicing of your A730 .

<> :)

Bob Womack
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks a bunch! I'll check with him.

Bob

stephane RAME
01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
STUDER Brochure A730

stephane RAME
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
STUDER Part list 2004

stephane RAME
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
STUDER D730 Brochure

Bob Womack
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the brochures!

Earl K
01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Bob,

- Here's a thread over at d.i.y.Audio on "wordclocking" the Studer A , D730/1 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1408650) ( amongst many other interesting tidbits of good info ) .

- You'll see you're correct about your assumption that a Philips transport is utilized in this player .

- You may want to register there / and jump into the conversation .

<> :)

readswift
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
wordclocking aka. slaving is highly recomended !!

Bob Womack
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks again. Interestingly, I've used the unit via both the AES output (clocked ) and the analog outputs, and I like the analog output better. Of course, I was running the balanced outputs into an SSL console for analog. :D I think what I've been attracted to is the Studer's A to Ds - they are very smooth but present on the top end and tight on the bottom. The resultant translation produces a very nice sound stage. I've compared several of my old analog recordings between the Studer and record playback, and have been very satisfied with its sound.

FilmCo discussed alignment for about $200 and transport replacement for about $800, plus shipping to and from, both prices being quite reasonable. The former is do-able for me, but of course they'd need it to be in their hands before they can tell me which of the two is necessary.

Thanks again!

Bob

readswift
01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Im restoring a Neve DAC (and adc fyi ), came out of a huge format desk, they going to have AES input :)

Bob Womack
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, our four control rooms are all AES. We've got a pair of Neves for live work and the post production rooms are based around Nuendo and Yamaha desks for I/O. The SSL was sold to a studio in Canada. I miss it. I also miss our classic Neve 8058s. They featured two-inch diameter control room volume knobs moving a wiper on a gang of resistors, rather than a volume pot. Very precise. Of course, our job is much easier and much more repeatable in the digital world. We've still got the 2" Sony with Dolby SR as an interchange format but mostly use it to bring back legacy material.

Bob