PDA

View Full Version : 2425 Diaphram Replacement

jblbgw_man
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey folks ... I need to replace the diaphram in one of my 2425's, having not done this proceedure before I was wondering if anyone that has, could offer some guidance before I start. I do have one JBL replacement diaphram but note there are no shims included, just the diaphram. What is the best way to centralise the VC in the gap etc?

I was going to purchase through ebay a spare diaphram, does anybody know anything of the ebay seller http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/au/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/au/s.giftinmarindedospingue from Granada Hills CA?

Finally is it worth Aquaplus' ing the diaphram? and who can perform this proceedure?

Thanks in advance.

richluvsound
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
JBL Man,

Hector( tinmarine) is very reliable. Guido has 2425 dia already aquaplased
in stock. If you can get the aquaplas it aint rocket science to apply it . . Guido and I posted a thread on way to to apply it. ( Sorry ,I just looked and could'nt find it )

Rich

jblbgw_man
01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
JBL Man,

Hector( tinmarine) is very reliable. Guido has 2425 dia already aquaplased
in stock. If you can get the aquaplas it aint rocket science to apply it . . Guido and I posted a thread on way to to apply it. ( Sorry ,I just looked and could'nt find it )

Rich

Hey Rich,

By the way the 4435 crossover cards are going well .... thanks heaps for that, you don't know where another pair might be hiding (for my 4430's) .... Ok I will try and search the posts for applying aquaplas .. is it worth the effort? IYO

richluvsound
01-18-2008, 12:44 AM
My pleasure . Glad they went to good home.

Ian and I did A- B on his famous visit:D Aliminium was a waste of time ,but the results on Ti was remarkable . No graphs to show, we just trusted our ears. We found the Mids and Highs a lot smoother.Well worth the effort.
I used a turntable to rotate the dia as I applied the dust. Leave it in the foam support and centre it on the spindle (33 not 45 and dont even think about 78 :spin:) Use a watercolor brush , 1/2 " wide with square bristle. Water the dust down. Find a coke can, cut it open ,flatten it out and use the inside to test the viscosity. Steady your hand, start at the top and just move the brush down . Dont panic , its water soluable. so all is not lost if you decide your not happy with the results. You are aiming for evenness , the first
coat is your primer. 2 coats should do the trick. Dont compare your finish to the factory coated. They spray it !!!!!!! .

Good luck and be patient should be all you need !

Rich

boputnam
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Guido and I posted a thread on way to to apply it. ( Sorry, I just looked and couldn't find it )...Here you go...

Aquaplasing with a turntable thread.

;)

jblbgw_man
01-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Here you go...

Aquaplasing with a turntable thread.

;)
Thanks Bo.... at least someone else is reading the thread.:D

readswift
01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
should I do this with nos dia-s , or the old ones are jsut as good ?

richluvsound
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Readswift,

I did'nt have very good results with Al, even brand new, but would recommend using it on Ti and Be as long as they are in good shape.

Please remember , there are folks here with a heck of a lot more experience than me .

There is no-end of info about Aquaplas here on the forum may I suggest you search it . At the end of the day it has to be your ear that decides on its worth.

Rich

readswift
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
okay, so my "diy to the least bit" campaign has new milestone, Im buying blown diaphragm compression drivers, just picked up a 2426j for 35 Usd.
Afaik I can use a 2425h NOS dia and get effectively a 2426H right ?
Now what about these? These are on ebay right now (please dont snipe :p )
Seller says its the regular JBL 242x but is it for real?

readswift
02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
ahem, it makes sense that the compression drivers are 2 completely different "batch" lets say there are years inbetween, so serial numbers are nothing close... BUT , the replacement diaphragms are the same batch? Or this whole serial number stuff is nonsense and the frequency response counts ?

richluvsound
02-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Readswift,

Did'nt realize You could get Phenolic Dia for the 2425

Rich

grumpy
02-02-2008, 09:07 PM
probably 2470 diaphragm... (phenolic). :)

readswift
02-02-2008, 09:12 PM
okay so this isnt the 2425h genuine , then I wont buy it . I was suspicious too I remembered some diamond pattern stuff should be there.

Zilch
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Red dot would be a "J," also.

The seller is mondo clueless....

readswift
02-02-2008, 10:36 PM
emailed him that his auction is bogus. Now if the 34 Usd price I got on the blown 2426j is legit then I start a PA company lol.

subwoof
02-03-2008, 07:16 AM
That is a D16R2460 diaphram. As mentioned in numerous previous threads, it is the predecessor to the 2461 diaphram. It was used also in the LE175HP and the LE100S

If you look close at the coil itself you will see that is made of *copper*. the newer 2461 is made of *aluminum*.

Both are the same resin coated linen ( phenolic ) and cannot go anywhere near as high as the AL or TI types but were popular way back when because they handled a lot more power and were more forgiving than the 20 watt aluminums.

sub

BTW - ANY jbl one inch dia can fit and work in ANY jbl one inch driver. Period.

grumpy
02-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Good eye, sub :) (& info)

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1971-pro/page11.jpg