PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about crossover

FredEmmerich
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
If there was a problem with the crossover in a speaker, would it be evident at all volume levels, or could it show up only when the volume was cranked up?

Fred

boputnam
01-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Better if you describe the symptoms for us...

Mr. Widget
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
If there was a problem with the crossover... Might be more obvious at higher power levels.

Better if you describe the symptoms for us...:yes:

Widget

FredEmmerich
01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I get mushy bass at relatively low volume on some source material. Other material I have to go a bit higher. The amp is a Mac 2205 (105 watts), Preamp is Mac C39 and speakers are 250ti. These speakers are awesome up to the point where they sound mushy on the bass. Some people have said it might be room acoustics. I had the bass drivers refoamed and the JBL shop said everything checked out okay. The amp was reconditioned by McIntosh and the preamp is new.

I raised them off the floor a bit and it does not help.

Mr. Widget
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Try a different amp... the early Mac solid state amps were notorious for having a sound quality that many considered mushy on the bottom, especially with large JBL woofers... it is likely due to the autoformers... these also give the Mac's their characteristic sound that others like.

It is highly unlikely that the crossovers are causing you to be unhappy with the sound of the lower end. Might be a combination of the room, speaker placement, the amp, and the sound of the speakers themselves.

Widget

boputnam
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I had the bass drivers refoamed and the JBL shop said everything checked out okay...I agree with Widget - your troubles are likely not with the crossover.

However, I am perplexed by the above quote: Why did you have the drivers "refoamed" - did you not have any luck finding recone kits? There are a few floating about, but they are scarce...

FredEmmerich
01-18-2008, 09:48 PM
The old foam was shot and the local JBL shop fixed them. I would not know how to put new foam on the drivers.

boputnam
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I would not know how to put new foam on the drivers.It can be learned, if you ever want to. See Thread #469.