PDA

View Full Version : Jbl L7

Tuna Fish
03-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi all expert,

I am using a pair of JBL L7 now.

4 ways tower speaker, with 1", 5", 8" and 12" side firing unit.

Any comment on this speaker?

In JBL line, does the L7 belong to beginner, intermideate or high end speakers?

Thank you for your help in advance.:)

jblnut
03-08-2004, 07:36 PM
After the XPL line died, the L1/L3/L5/L7 line was the best JBL had to offer as far as a consumer line in the US (at least up here in the NorthEast). I've heard them all and my personal favorite was the L5. I have a friend who's had these since 1995 and another friend who has a HT setup with L3 fronts and L1 rears. While maybe not of the same caliber of the high-end JBLs of old, these are fine speakers that can sound very, very good.

Enjoy them and welcome to the family !

jblnut

boputnam
03-08-2004, 07:37 PM
If you've not got any literature on the L series, go here... http://lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1992-l-series.htm

Tuna Fish
03-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Thank you for your help.

Actually I got a chance to choose between XPL 160 (with original stand) and the L7.

The outlook of the XPL 160 is old and has minor scratch, but it sound very good. The L7 is now old stock, include the original package.

The most important point is the floor space requirement. The XPL (W = 14.75 inch) is wider but the L7 is slim (W = 9.6 inch). (I live in Hong Kong, which is a very small city!!!)

At the end I pick the L7. The manufacturing date is Dec. 95. (I think it is one of the very last L7 produced, the model stop production in 95.)

Since XPL200 (4 ways, with 12¡¨ woofer, 35Hz ¡V 25k Hz) is selling at $1,699 each but L7 (4 ways, with 12¡¨ woofer too 30Hz ¡V 27K Hz) is selling at $1,000 each only. Does it mean that it is down graded product? (I know that L series start production at 92 since XPL stop production at 92.)

It is sorry to hear that the recent JBL product, except for the very high-end model, is mainly focusing on AV or Karaoke line. Also some low to mid-end model already produced at Mexico. But the high-end model (e.g. 4348, K2 9800 etc) are produced at Japan.

By the way, does anyone know what current high-end model is produced at US?

Sorry for my poor English and thank you for your help in advance.

Tuna Fish
:)