PDA

View Full Version : New here and a question...of course

pacopico
01-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Hello, I have perused this website for quite a while (a few years) and have found some good information.

What finally prompted me to post is that I have a pair of JBL speakers, and though I have enjoyed them for the past five (5) years I am getting to a point where I might consider selling. Now, when I bought these I thought that they were the neatest thing I had heard, and have enjoyed them immensely... but I cannot help to think that there might be something more out there.

My real problem is that if I sold these, I would want to purchase something else more or less straight across...not pulling any more money out of the pocket.

So, I have a pair of C-37 enclosure clones (which a few here seem to dislike, and say are crappy...so maybe I am deaf to like them?) with 130A's, 175DLH's and N1200's. The cabinets are very nice, have closing front doors, and are not laced with cat piss, nicotine or THC. Drivers are pristine, wax seals intact on the tweeters, cones excellent on the woofers. The only minor issue is on the crossovers, they have mis-matched knobs. However, they are close in serial number range: S/N 9356 & S/N 9672

As well, I have seen some slam-dunking of people coming here to ask pricing...so I am NOT ASKING FOR WHAT TO SELL THEM FOR!

My question is what could I find that would sound dramatically better than these speakers at a similar price point.

My system is: Concept 2QD (turntable), ClearAudio NanoPhono (phono pre), Cary SLP30 (pre), Velodyne 1012 (powered sub) and (2) RCA MI-4288J (amps, 50WPC).

Other speakers I have (in other systems) are: AR-2AX, ADS L810's stacked on JBL PSW1200's, Tannoy Mercury MX2-M, and Boston A60's.

Thanks...

Mr. Widget
01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
So, I have a pair of C-37 enclosure clones... with 130A's, 175DLH's and N1200's.

My question is what could I find that would sound dramatically better than these speakers at a similar price point.Dramatically better how?

For me your ADS L810s with subs would be "dramatically better"... not as dynamic and might miss a bit on some music occasionally, but for general listening, I'd much prefer them. The ADS speakers will not play as loudly as effortlessly, and will get a bit congested sounding when pressed, but they are reasonably neutral and have much better highs than the potato masher and if you have your sub set up properly the bass should extend deeper and have cleaner midbass... the midbass will lack some of that 130A punch though.

So again, this begs the question... better how?

Widget

pacopico
01-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.

For starters, I have never tried the ADS speakers/JBL Subs on this stereo setup...as I really have never thought to try it. After thinking about if for about 20 seconds, I'll have to give it a shot and see! The only problem with the ADS speakers to me is that the tweeter and mid are side by side, and their imaging suffers as a result. That said, the system that the ADS speakers are installed in is definitely not as fancy, and making an A/B comparison between those is not equal. However I will say that the ADS speakers are more dynamic, and have much better bass definition.

The sub addition with the Velodyne and the JBL's on this system helped, but the impact is not the same.

So, better how...well, perhaps it is easier to say what I want to keep regarding sound of these speakers, and what I am looking to add.

Current speaker strengths: Imaging, soundstage depth and breadth, clarity of acoustical instruments, and clarity of solo singers, micro-dynamics.

Current speakers weakness: weak mid/low bass response, tweeters can be shrill at times, electronic or demanding music becomes muddied when played at volume (macro-dynamics).

So, I'd like to keep the strengths and get rid of a few of the weaknesses...specifically the muddiness and mid/low bass response.

Thanks!

Mr. Widget
01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
However I will say that the ADS speakers are more dynamic...I wonder what you mean by dynamic?

However I will say that the ADS speakers... have much better bass definition.No surprise there.:)

Current speaker strengths: Imaging, soundstage depth and breadth, clarity of acoustical instruments, and clarity of solo singers, micro-dynamics.
I see no reason why the L810s or any other top flight conventional cone and dome based system couldn't best your C-37s in this regard, as long as they are properly set up.

Your high praise of the potato masher and 130A's imaging leads me to believe that the conical beaming response of these speakers is working in your room... I guess you room is on the live side... in a more controlled room a wider polar response can still image well.

Current speakers weakness: weak mid/low bass response, tweeters can be shrill at times, electronic or demanding music becomes muddied when played at volume (macro-dynamics).
No surprises there in my opinion, though there are those who don't seem to be bothered by these traits.

If the L810s and subs in a proper setup don't quite cut it, I think you can find a suitable upgrade out there for what the C-37s should get you on eBay.

Widget

pacopico
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks again Widget.

Dynamic in terms of the L810's seem more realistic in their interpretation of rock/electronic music/large orchestral...that with many sounds at once.

Yes, my music only room is too live...I have done some deadening but there is more to do!

Would you suggest another JBL product that may fit the bill?

I have had L100's but they were rather directional (likely as they are really monitors).

Mr. Widget
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Would you suggest another JBL product that may fit the bill?
:no:

I am not the right person to be asked that question.

It's so subjective... I really can't tell you what you'll like. In my opinion most JBLs are better than the 001 system that you have. I like the impact of the 130A, but I find the mids are a bit harsh and highs a bit lacking, I don't care for the very narrow and focused polar pattern of the potato masher horn, and of course the deep bass is simply not there. In general I have found stock JBLs have rarely offered what I am looking for and that has led me on the DIY path.

You might like the JBL L250s. You might like a pair of Altec model 19s. In my opinion they are a lot like the C37s loaded with the 001 system, but are far more evolved and sound a lot better. If I was in the market for an off the shelf system for under a grand, I'd consider an older pair of B+W 801s.

Widget

pacopico
01-17-2008, 11:58 PM
:no:
It's so subjective... I really can't tell you what you'll like.

I know what you mean.

I do appreciate the advice.

Cheers.