PDA

View Full Version : Altec 19's

rvito
03-08-2004, 03:09 PM
I have a set of 19's and I was wondering if anyone here Could help me? The bass does not Feel real I quess you would say deep. I'am powering them with a Yamaha m-85 Amp. They just don't seem to have that punch to them on the low end? Any Suggestions?.......Thanks, Rich

boputnam
03-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey, Rich - welcome... :wave:

I've been pondering your post - this makes no sense! Those are fantastic woofers (down to 40hz... ;) ), and their pleated surround should not decrepitate. Anything visibly wrong with them, or that cabinets that would compromise the acoustic performance of the cabinet? :confused:

Mr. Widget
03-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Those are fantastic woofers, but they do not have an exceptionally deep response. The bass is quite rolled off below about 40Hz. This is normal for any high efficiency design.

Widget

ngccglp
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I have heard a pair 19s at a local LP shop. I must say I agree with Widget. The bass production is very different from JBL, which is why I chose JBL. The bass of the 19 is more rounded and full whereas the JBL has more 'kick'. Play a drum track and you can tell the difference right away in the way the kick drum is played back.

If you are using tubes, maybe using solid state amps may tighten up the bass a little.

David

mikebake
03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by rvito
I have a set of 19's and I was wondering if anyone here Could help me? The bass does not Feel real I quess you would say deep. I'am powering them with a Yamaha m-85 Amp. They just don't seem to have that punch to them on the low end? Any Suggestions?.......Thanks, Rich

What are you comparing them to?