PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Olympus C50 S7R and S8R?

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Hello,

I inherited a few years ago some JBL C50 Olympus speakers but I'm not sure if they are S7R's or S8R's? I reviewed all the manuals and the catalog I have and cant find an exact match. The information pack that looks like it came with the speakers says "C50 WX W/ Pris, COS S8". Here is where it gets fun. It does not have the 075 tweeter, from what I can tell it has an 077 slot tweeter (I couldn't find a close up of the 077 anywhere, mine looks like a slot with a prism in the middle of it?). I'm not sure if this is an upgraded S8 then?

One thing I know the S8 has is the N7000 crossover board which I can not locate on my speaker. Is it supposed to be mounted to the back or is it inside the cabinet? I couldn't find a picture of the back of an S8 anywhere to verify. I would imagine that if my speaker has any super tweeter then it would have to have a crossover to manage it so it would seem likely to have it.

If anyone could shed some light to help me verify that it is an S8 please let me know.

Also I am looking to sell the pair so if you have some insight on how much it is worth, assuming I am right about it being an upgraded S8. They are in excellent shape, very few issues, everything looks to be easily repaired by the future owner. I can specify in more detail and post pictures if it will help.

Thanks again for your help!

rs237
01-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Hello,

S7R = LE15A, PR15, LE85,
S8R = LE15A, PR15, 375, 075

look here

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-c50-c60.htm

I think you have a S7R system, which an upgrade with a 077.
If we knew what midrange is built, we could say accurate.

regards
juergen

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 02:35 AM
OK I just came across a close up of the 077 tweeter and that is what I have. Still don't know about the whereabouts of the N7000 though?

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Any chance there is a visual cue from the outside to spot the difference of the 375 and LE85? Where is the midrange anyway, I don't see it on the front?

Hello,

S7R = LE15A, PR15, LE85,
S8R = LE15A, PR15, 375, 075

look here

I think you have a S7R system, which an upgrade with a 077.
If we knew what midrange is built, we could say accurate.

regards
juergen

rs237
01-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Follow the connection cables from the 077 and you will find.

regards
juergen

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that :) If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?

rs237
01-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Any chance there is a visual cue from the outside to spot the difference of the 375 and LE85? Where is the midrange anyway, I don't see it on the front?

From the outside can tell the difference is very difficult to detect.The midrange horn is located behind the acoustic lens (diagonally standing slats). It could be the length of the horn outside to measure and identify the driver. The Horn for the 375 is shorter than the horn for LE85.
regards
juergen

rs237
01-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that :) If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?

No, the driver is bigger than the opening for the horn. Furthermore, the driver in the cab still attached.

regards
juergen

stephane RAME
01-13-2008, 04:45 AM
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/susumu_oiso/JBL_Olympus.htm

stephane RAME
01-13-2008, 04:49 AM

subwoof
01-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Look ma - no tools.

Remove the lens that is in front of the horn. If it's really old, it might have 4 small screws.

If the distance to the first "seam" where the driver bolts on is about 4 inches, it's a 375.

If the distance to the first "seam" where the driver bolts on is about 7 inches, it's a 175/275.

sub

Earl K
01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Also I am looking to sell the pair so if you have some insight on how much it is worth, assuming I am right about it being an upgraded S8. They are in excellent shape, very few issues, everything looks to be easily repaired by the future owner. I can specify in more detail and post pictures if it will help.

- No insight on market worth from me, but

Ok so I have to open it up to see, I was hoping to avoid that. If I remove the horn from the front can I pull the driver through the front or do I have to open the case?

- You need to provide good to great pics of all the actual components to get the best price on eBay or elsewhere ( so eventual removal of all components is recommended / therefore why not get at it now ? ) .

- Removing the PR15 ( the 15" with the pleated surround ) should be easy enough to start with. That'll allow enough access for a good look around / enough to see if it's the short-horn with the 375 or the longer horn with the le85 .

:)

oldsoundz
01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Think I would try to remove the crossover in the back of the cabinet first. 4 little screws. It should slip out far enough that you can see whats inside.

Then look on ebay and find the JBL le85 driver, and the JBL 375 driver. Those are your 2 options.

The additional crossover should be right next to the one you can see. If there is only one visible crossover, my guess is that it is an S7 updated with the slot/prism tweeter.

I am not aware of these speakers coming with the 077.

Chas
01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi, based on your moniker are you, or were you, related to Len Feldman?

hjames
01-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Whoa, Deju vue!
I just bought a HK CD changer from FenBeldman!!

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Its like opening up a gift and finding gold!

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/data//500/DSC_0246-Edit.JPGhttp://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/data//500/DSC_0252-Edit.JPG

Thanks again for everyone's help in figuring this out. I took off the lens like subwoof suggested and saw that it was only 4". After that I was looking at the driver and I didn't realize how easily it comes off, so I just went ahead and took off the passive.

Now I just have to figure out how much this set is worth. So it appears I have a custom C50 S8R with a 077 slot (Prism) tweeter. I haven't tested it out yet, everything looks in excellent shape but it hasn't been turned on in 10 years. I'm going to take it to my shop and see how it sounds, I have a few Krell Evolution amps there I can hook it up to :). I notice several people talk about re foaming the woofers? Looking at it there is no cracks and looks mint but thats not to say it wont crack if I power it up?

ifeldman
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Not that I know of lol

stephane RAME
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
http://susumu-oiso.homelinux.com/download/JBL_CAT/1973con/1973con_p36.jpg