PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing Model Nine

Regis
03-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I just picked up a pair of these for my brother in good shape on Ebay for $221. The woofers need new foam surrounds, but that's easy enough to do. As Boputnam said, fun for the whole family (that is, if your kids don't mind scraping the old glue off've the frames...).

The Model Nine's look like burly little speakers and from what I can gather, the woofers have die-cast frames. But I can't find out anything else, even looking these up in the library as far as component specs (magnet size, etc, etc.). How did these stack up against the JBL's like the L-166? or the L-65's? I took a chance on reputation on buying these and I hope some of the experts out there can fill me in.

boputnam
03-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I owned a pair - if you missing the grill medallions, check Marketplace. ;)

Surrounds from Rick Cobb, both for the LF's and the MF (same as for the Bose 5", but I forget which model number - Rick will know. Send him a pic (or I can) and tell him they mount on the face of the cone...).

One thing - the MF's were not acoustically isolated in the cabinet. Altec went another route, and capped the hole in the pole piece using a crummy little plastic cap glued to the rear of the MF motor. The glue didn't hold - you might hear the cap loose inside the cabinet. Need to fix that - use that Household Goop (do a Search).

As to "how did they sound"? I liked them better than the L100's, but you know me... :rotfl:

Regis
03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I've already contacted Rick. This is the fourth or so set he's sent me in the last two months! He's great people and very prompt and communicative. Mmmmm, no MF or acoustic isolation. What's the MF iso anyway but a capped piece of cardboard tubing of "X" size and an exit for the wires? (add rubber goop to make it sealed around the wire hole). I wonder if I could glue something like that in the cab? Would it really improve the performance that much or have significant benefits vs. the trouble of doing it?

boputnam
03-08-2004, 02:29 PM
On the MF, actually, no. The way Altec designed it should be fine. The cone is entirely encased in the frame - 'cept for the hole through the pole piece (otherwise handily positioned for popping-out a pushed-in dome... :rotfl: ). A good goop of Goop will secure it airtight. Actually, Bostik would work good, too. Whatever Altec used was inferior to either...

Yea, Rick's a find.

Regis
03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I'll make sure and apply a good gob of goop gregariously to the grungy gap in question!