PDA

View Full Version : marchand crossovers

Jakob
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I know some of You uses these. I'd like to hear all the good's and the bad's regarding these units. If You where to decide between Marchand and f.e. a DBX Driverack, what unit sounds the best in your ears?

allen mueller
01-12-2008, 05:42 AM
I've had a DBX Drive Rack PA, and a 260. I also have and currently use a Marchand XM-26 tube crossover. The Marchand to my ears is alot cleaner sounding than the Driverack.

I also had a BSS 336T, I thought that souded better than the driverack. If you want to go digital for you crossover, i'd be looking at the higher end crossovers. Marchand makes a high end crossover so you'll have to be looking at high end digital to be in the same level of signal quality.

Ian Mackenzie
01-12-2008, 11:25 AM
The Drive rack is a totally different beast (PA application) to the analogue Marchland range (diy audio).

You need to do a lot more reseach of your own and decide for yourself.

It really comes down to your own situation and your specific needs, none of which have been mentioned here.

The Marchland range also quite prolific, what model were you referring to?

I have heard the drive rack in operation. Its a bit digital sounding, sterile, but that might be fine for a lot of applications

For those into the digital thing these have a good reputation according to reports on Pro equipment forums they are way better than even the BSS.

http://www.gtaust.com/products/xilica/index.php

Jakob
01-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Thank You for your input.

I was thinking of replacing my JBL 552 crossover with the Marcand XM44 in my home setup. What I would like to know is if the Marchands are sounding good enough to allow them in my sound chain. The JBL 552 crossover I use at the moment isn't.

Thanks Ian for the Xilica link. The DLP4080A seems amazing!

Ian Mackenzie
01-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank You for your input.

I was thinking of replacing my JBL 552 crossover with the Marcand XM44 in my home setup. What I would like to know is if the Marchands are sounding good enough to allow them in my sound chain. The JBL 552 crossover I use at the moment isn't.

Thanks Ian for the Xilica link. The DLP4080A seems amazing!

Give it a go. They have a good reputation and wont cost you an arm and a leg.

(I find a gradual progression more rewarding than an extreme make over!)

But what are you using in your system?

Ian

richluvsound
01-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Jacob,

Widget speaks very highly of the Marchand. I seem to remember reading some information about it here on the forum. I'll try and find it for you.

Rich

Jakob
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Ian:
The Marchand would be used in a ME150+2435 setup together with G.T's compensation circuit. CD-player is a Pioneer PDS-06 and preamp ARC LS-7. Poweramp for the ME150's is a NAD 218 and for the 2435 hopefully either an ARC VT50, VT60, V70 or VT100. I know these amps have more power than I need to drive the 2435's, but I will be using this amp in my other setups as well.
Since I just bought the 2435's, the H9800 horns and will be buying the tube amp in the near future (ARC is terribly expensive in Sweden) I would like to keep down costs as much as possible on the active crossover. However, if there is no cheap yet good sounding alternative, I'll just have to go with som passive networks for now. The M552 I'm using for the 2243's is ok for this purpose, but I don't want it connected to anything that is higher in frequency than 150Hz. I feel that it places a veil in front of the speakers and limit the dynamics.

Rich: Thank You, would be glad if You could find it. I have a lot of respect for Widgets opinions.