PDA

View Full Version : Should I Sell My L300's?

bill8888
01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I’ve had my L300’s for 25 years now, and I always expected to hand them down to one of my kids (age 10 and 13) when I die. I don’t really listen to them much, but I figured they were a nice heirloom that my kids could hand down to their kids. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw an auction on Ebay for a pair of L300’s. The seller inherited them from his father who recently died, and it seems he couldn’t wait for the body to get cold before he’s hawking them for cash. So then it occurred to me that my kids might do the same thing when I die, so I ask myself why I’m holding onto these speakers. I mean I could sell them for $3K and buy myself a nice Rolex or something. My wife think I’m nuts.

bloatedpig
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
can you post some pics?..............what condition, year...etc. If you have any doubt whether your kids would enjoy them, than they probably would sell them in a heart beat if they knew what they were worth. Probably buy a Play Station 10 or whatever is around in 30-years or so...........................KEEP THEM!......or better yet, you could make a nice coffin out of them if you wanted and take them with you!

regards

Robh3606
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Ask yourself this. What are you going to replace them with??

Rob:)

macaroonie
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
:(

oznob
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
You could adopt me and hand them down to your new #1 son! I PROMISE I would keep them forever, Dad!:p

Audiobeer
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't let these guy's get to you. Speakers, Wives, Fast cars, Burn'em then turn'em baby! That's how we roll! :applaud:

hjames
01-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I’ve had my L300’s for 25 years now, and I always expected to hand them down to one of my kids (age 10 and 13) when I die. I don’t really listen to them much, but I figured they were a nice heirloom that my kids could hand down to their kids. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw an auction on Ebay for a pair of L300’s. The seller inherited them from his father who recently died, and it seems he couldn’t wait for the body to get cold before he’s hawking them for cash. So then it occurred to me that my kids might do the same thing when I die, so I ask myself why I’m holding onto these speakers. I mean I could sell them for $3K and buy myself a nice Rolex or something. My wife think I’m nuts.
Price varies from time to time.

But, if you are prepared to ship them offshore, and they are absolutely pristeen (no veneer nicks, the nicer color grills, etc), you might be able to get whatever the high end of the market is at this time.

oldsoundz
01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Seems your kids are about old enough to start getting into this sort of thing. My opinion is keep them another 5 years and by then you will know what the kids would do with them. Seems to me they can only go up in value.

Good luck whichever way you go!

JBL Dog
01-18-2008, 11:24 AM

The wifey and I have two kids and two Metregon's. The nine year-old has already put in a word for the tawny walnut and the fourteen year-old wants the dark walnut version. Since we've had both units roughly six years each, our kids were still young enough that we convinced them we would "come back" if they listed them on eBay before the fill-dirt settled.

:D

pangea
01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I had a pair of L300's an sold them to a friend, I think it was in 1989, for just a bit over 1k, in US currency.
You can't imagine how many times I have regretted that sell...:banghead:

/Roland

mikebake
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes.

cooky1257
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
The only thing I plan to leave my kids is in debt.:D

Maybe if you listened to them more the kids would grow to appreciate and value them?

Rolf
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
The only thing I plan to leave my kids is in debt.:D

Maybe if you listened to them more the kids would grow to appreciate and value them?

Kids don't care. I have a daughter who cares more about "boom boom" than music. So what do I do? Yes, we are going to live our days, what we have left in the 20-30 years to come. We are going to use our money, our "fortune". The "kids" can take care of them selves. Like we had to do.

SEAWOLF97
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I have a daughter who cares more about "boom boom" than music.

Hope that means something different in Norway. :o:

Rolf
01-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Hope that means something different in Norway. :o:

Eee? "boom boom" is a lot of bass, and a lot of other sounds (noise) I don't like.

What did you think?:p

MuthaFunk
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
With the MP3 format taking over as the dominant format for youths today, sound quality is less of a requirement. Convenience is more sought after then a pair of 125 LB speakers. Kids now prefer the little Bose docking station for their Ipods or their earbuds.

If your not using them, sell them to someone who will. They are beautiful speakers that should be used and cherished in a high end audio system. Just my thoughts.....

jimd
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't write the younger generation off just yet, they simply have not been exposed to the sound quality of a larger loudspeaker. Those I know that have been cannot believe the difference. As a former sound contractor, I am having trouble with the much lower standard of reproduction that most people now expect, the newer stuff sounds awful in comparison to many of the older systems, especially those older ones with Lansing related components. The awareness just isn't there these days, but, I think that will change as more people slowly become aware of the better equipment. Remember the Hi Fi revolution of the 70s, could just happen again.
I would keep your L300s, everytime some one comes over, blow them away with the sound quality, you won't regret it, quality speaks. And I am an ALTEC guy........ JIM

donsof
12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
All
This was a good read, and I can tell I like this Jimd character by his words.

I recently have been watching the ever growing number of smartphone people, glued to their devices.
They just barely get out of the driveway, and they are on them.
Teenagers texting at dinner tables, during family meals.
Adults with earbuds every where on the Chicago streets.
9 year olds with I phones.
A friend laid a smart phone on my driveway, with some audio coming out of the speaker, and I told him "sounds like s**t, turn it off please".
He thought I was going to like his music, but it was inaudible.

I think the obsessive phoney people will lose their cool when everyone finally gets a smart phone, and even the hillbilly's have them.
Then the tides will turn, and I almost feel the tide is moving right now. I am locally seeing an interest in vinyl, big sound speakers, and old 70s HIFI.
This could be compared to the Blues Brothers movie smashing the disco trend, in the 70s.

True musicians will have to suffer through this period, and its going to be a special interest to have "the good ear"
But cool will always be apparent when a historical view is taken.
Thanks to all the people here for keeping "the good ear" alive!

Maybe if we had more HIFI showoff events, record store days, top notch live audio events like The Redstone room in Davenport Iowa, we could see people coming back to good heavy stuff. Locally we have ragged records who sell vinyl and gear. We have lots of local live shows, and some good sound people.

I told my 5c I-phone brother, about this whole world of purists out there, who are getting great satisfaction from old gear, and he was listening, but probably thought I was archaic. After all I just use a flip tracphone, and can wait to get to a computer.

I am looking forward to listening to some L300's someday, and I also like the entire mid century period. I tell my girlfriend we had the greatest generation, then the less great generation, then less great and beyond less great. Its got to turn someday right?

Don

SEAWOLF97
12-05-2013, 08:35 AM
True musicians will have to suffer through this period, and its going to be a special interest to have "the good ear"
But cool will always be apparent when a historical view is taken.
Thanks to all the people here for keeping "the good ear" alive!
Don

I am really gratified that my 31 y.o. son (who grew up with JBL's) is a vinyl nut (sells lots of records on www.Discogs.com) and has an L-100 system with PHONO as the only source.
He took a music appreciation class in college and most likely knows more than I do. Although born in 1981, he loves the 60's genre ( I think he has all the "Nuggets" series) and loves to talk about that period. His "home genre" is PUNK , which of course derived from 60's Garage Bands and especially enjoys classic SURF tunes.
Am sure that when I kick the bucket, he will take good care of my 250's and smile in remembrance of Dad when he plays them. ;)

It feels good to think that there will be an appreciative caretaker of the system that I put together. :applaud:

and yes, I know what you mean about the cellphone crowd. I go out to lunch and nobody in the restaurant is talking, they are just hunched over their little shiny electronic leashes.

audiomagnate
12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Your kids have probably found out how much they're worth. They won't wait for you die to sell them, they'll wait till you're too infirm or senile to know what's going on and sell them for 1/3rd of their value to the first Craigs List vulture that shows up with cash. I shipped my son a nice two channel setup for his dorm room last year and I just found out he left it there when he moved out. This hobby is as oddball to them as Ham radio or orchid breeding is to most of us. It's just the way it is.

robertbartsch
12-05-2013, 04:41 PM
...and what do you think they will do with the Rolex? they will probably pinch it off your wrist before you are cold.

PS watches are dumb unless you don't have a cell phone.

audiomagnate
12-05-2013, 10:58 PM
...PS watches are dumb unless you don't have a cell phone.

And Porsches are dumb if you have Yugo?

robertbartsch
12-06-2013, 03:36 AM
A Yugo is dumb unless you do not own a bike...

SEAWOLF97
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
A Yugo is dumb unless you do not own a bike...

a classic Yugo joke:

Q: why do Yogo's have heated rear windows ?

A: To keep your hands warm when you are pushing them. :rotfl:

tomt
12-08-2013, 12:16 AM
a nice Rolex

these are the 'bose' of watches.

much hype.

and thats about all.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `

clown gets question about watches,

gets mad, drops f-word, rants about giving gifts -

http://youtu.be/26v_6_0GWtE

http://bubblehead.la/images/bhlogotran.png

Rick614
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I know how you must feel, my nephews couldn't cars less about my system's and JBL speakers, I however still dream of owning a pair of L300s. I currently have 4406's, 4408'6, 4410's & 4412's and even some CF 150's a couple of sub's & a Northridge serise set of speakers, would trade many of them for 1 pair of L300's or pay cash! :)