PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing some advice

jacks
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Guys,

My first post and I need some help.

I've been building / specing some small party sound-systems for a few years now and I've never been able to get the sound I want (tuneful mid-bass that hits, smooth mid range and classic sizzle on the highs). I normally hire gear but have decided to take the plunge and start building my own.

I'm looking to build a small system (suitable for 300 people in a confined space) I have a good quality front end (Rega arm Technics, Grado 200i, Urei 1620) and play well recorded/pressed Garage era disco records. I've got access to all kinds of power amps but I'm major confused with all the different JBL/Altec products/numbers. What speakers / horns / tweeters would you guys recommend as a solid 3 way vintage starter system? I'm prepared to shell out in the region of £3000-4000 (on speakers) and wait for the right bits to come up second hand / on the bay to make this work

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Mr. Widget
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
There is certainly a lot of subjectivity that will be involved in answering your question. Send Scotty a PM... this is certainly his area of expertise.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=35

Widget