PDA

View Full Version : Help my 250 ti crossover is not reaching the tweeters

AdamimAdam
01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Shoot their broke:(:(. 250ti Classics aren't supplying any juice through their crossovers to either 035 tweeter . I ran a signal directly to the tweeters and they are working fine but through the crossovers??? zero. I can get some pictures tomorrow to confirm the crossover part, Made in Taiwan? I'm surely no electronics buff but Im dedicated to keeping these as original as I received them. All suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Andyoz
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Sounds weird...did the problem start in both speakers at the same time?

AdamimAdam
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds weird...did the problem start in both speakers at the same time?

As far as I know, yes.
Must be weird as nobody seems to have a clue so far?

opimax
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi

to lose both at the same time... sounds like maybe a strong signal from the amp, is there a turn on/off thump or noise? What amp is driving these?

how close to DC are you? I should have enough spare parts to diagnose the problem (none for sale) , happy to help :) , send a pm if you want

Mark

AdamimAdam
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi

to lose both at the same time... sounds like maybe a strong signal from the amp, is there a turn on/off thump or noise? What amp is driving these?

how close to DC are you? I should have enough spare parts to diagnose the problem (none for sale) , happy to help :) , send a pm if you want

Mark

The o'l Hafler 500 did put out a nasty short loud erghhh!!! not long ago??
No noises with on's or off's. Ive got the weekend to take a real good look/ see, and measure here and there kinda stuff. Thanks for your interest and I'll get back to ya next week.

sourceoneaudio
01-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Since you say you have the 035Ti in them that means you own 250Ti LE's correct?

If they are both out is is possible you popped something on the board. I have some detailed pictures of that network, and I see no protection fuse for the 035Ti, one would hope it would be that easy.

I also wonder if the HF switches are bad??

Earl K
01-12-2008, 09:33 AM
For those losing track ;

I ran a signal directly to the tweeters and they are working fine but through the crossovers??? zero.

If they are both out it is possible you popped something on the board. I have some detailed pictures of that network, and I see no protection fuse for the 035Ti, one would hope it would be that easy.

- As a start, I'd clean all the padding switches with a contact cleaner . I use Caig(s)' Deoxit ( the red stuff ) for connectors & switches .
http://store.caig.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1352&c=ACCT113328&h=c17a40a79d156656eb11
- Specifically, what I have here is "D5" in a non-pressurized" spray pump ( though the manual pump-style looks to be discontinued ).
- This http://store.caig.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1698&c=ACCT113328&h=aa95b829d6d02df07615 pressurized version is more typical .
- Caig Laboratories Inc. (http://www.caig.com)

:)

Earl K
01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
The o'l Hafler 500 did put out a nasty short loud erghhh!!! not long ago??

- I suppose it's possible that your amp has blown the series capacitors found in the UHF section of the crossover . Given the DC voltage rating for these caps / the amp would have needed to have gone into some form of UHF oscillation to be able to pop the caps .

- If you feel the amp is a suspect in this case ( causing Xover damage ) then it ought to be bench tested by an experienced tech before it's put back into normal usage .

<> :)

AdamimAdam
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM

If they are both out is is possible you popped something on the board. I have some detailed pictures of that network, and I see no protection fuse for the 035Ti, one would hope it would be that easy.

Has anyone figured out how to get the rear crossover panel off the actual crossover? The speaker posts have smooth gold rings to finish the throughway but is does not look like they are threaded on? Or how bout the midrange and mini midrange being in a glued wooden enclosure?

Am I going to have to cut the Monster Cable??

Am I going to have to risk a repair shop to gingerly not destroy the networks to get access to both sides???

Doesnt anyone know the true meaning of Christmas??

AdamimAdam
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM

That sure looks like my network. I noticed you did'nt get the panel off either?
250 ti Classics w- my bad,,035tiA Tweeters.

opimax
01-12-2008, 03:25 PM
They are NOT TI classics w/35tia tweeters or those XOvers. the XO is a different shape w/Buss bars and has a 044ti tweeter which comes out from the rear. What color are your speakers? Piano Black?

Mark

AdamimAdam
01-12-2008, 04:38 PM
They are NOT TI classics w/35tia tweeters or those XOvers. the XO is a different shape w/Buss bars and has a 044ti tweeter which comes out from the rear. What color are your speakers? Piano Black?

Mark

Yes piano black. The tweeters say 35tia. The Speaker badges say Classics? Im getting pretty confused right about now.

opimax
01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
might be my own definition and i don't realize it, sorry. The original 250 had a different midrange made out of paper a different tweeter and a different Xover.
then what I was thinking was the classic would probably be the original TI , 250ti, with the buss bars a plastic mid 104, the 044ti tweeter(Mine originally).I think in the US the next version was yours w/the 35 TIA, physically smaller Xover (yours). The 044ti tweeter which was no longer in production. there was a different ver produced for Europe

I purchased some Charge couple XOvers from Guido (in germany) who purchased some COvers that look just like yours but say just 25oTI, "classic", so even more choices.

I think reading my explanation might be confusing and not real good. Search on the forum, you can start w/the suggested threads at the bottom of the thread.

Sorry if I confused the situation. Send me a pm w/phone number or in it tell me you want mine , we can chat. i am surei can help a litlle at least

Mark

sourceoneaudio
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Am I going to have to cut the Monster Cable??

Am I going to have to risk a repair shop to gingerly not destroy the networks to get access to both sides???

Doesn't anyone know the true meaning of Christmas??

First thing do not cut!!!!!!!! If you do not have enough slack to remove the x-over, which the one I pictured is removed from the rear of the cabinet, you will need to remove all drivers first then pull x-over to examine the issue at hand.

It is a involved job and will take some patience. So to keep things stock, don't cut. The drivers are not glued in they have a gasket which over time forms a great seal and makes it appear that they are glued in. Gentle prying, and protecting the surface of the front of the cabinet is what needs to be done to remove drivers. Once this is done you can safely remove the x-over from the rear. :D

Post some pics if you have time of the rear of the array.