PDA

View Full Version : 4341 Power handling capability in full passive mode question

spwal
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I just got a 200 wpc amp for my low end to be used in a biamp configuration (the process is taking a while, but i will get there).

Was curious if i could just try it out using the stock passive network. Was confused because the manual says that max input power is 75 watts at 8 ohms.

I dont want to do any damage to my expensive drivers over a little curiosity.

Not sure if values in xover could have shifted enough over the years to cause damage.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4340_4341.pdf (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4340_4341.pdf)

any advice is appreciated. I know that the 2235 will love this kind of power in a biamp setup.

thanks

spwal

hjames
01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hmmm - I ran mine with the Citation 22 for a few weeks in standard mode before I biamped them ...
... just don't run it HARD, don't hit distortion ...

Once you biamp - the woofers will unshroud and the mists will clear ...
all will be revealed ...

subwoof
01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
The "rule" for headroom on studio monitors is twice (+3db) the power handling, which is usually defined as the low frequency cone's maximum. The crossovers should be fine with more power since the caps are rated 100V and the LF chokes aren't too shabby.

The 2231A was 75.
The 2231H was 100. ( correct me if wrong )
The 2235H ( most current ) is 400.

Amazing what new glues and better manufacturing can do?

So that means 800 BUT now the 2121A's power comes into play so unless you clip the amp and create overtones with a massive amplifier, you should be fine with just about anything your wall outlet can power.

BTW - the "throttle" or amplifier level controls have no bearing on what the power output of an amplifier is. Do you change the horsepower of your car's engine by pressing more or less on the accelerator? Nope - it's still the same engine.

All you need to exceed the throttle is a transient and the amplifier will happily oblige. Extremely short duration peaks do not change the overall volume BUT make those passages and dynamics so much more pleasing and less fatiguing. Power is everything but biamping with more power is better.

sub

spwal
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
thank you all for the super fast and detailed responses. looks like i can play with my new toy, which is incidentally a carver amp i got for not much money.

damping factor is not what these guys need, but i have something to play with until i find the right thing.. hint hint subwoof...