PDA

View Full Version : Bummer! Check your speakers when purchased!

johnaec
01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
So I finally got around to opening up the boxes with the last two Sub1500's I got new from that Parts Express sell-off a couple years ago, only to find that one is completely frozen in place. :banghead: 'Not capable of even the slightest movement. :( It doesn't look like the magnet's shifted, but I really don't know what else it could be. Pole piece?

Obviously, it's unlikely Parts Express will do anything at this stage. So 'just a note, (to myself and everyone), ALWAYS check out speakers when you first get them while you can still do something about it! Don't assume because something is new, unopened in the box, that it will be good!

'Anyone still have a Sub1500 kicking around they'd care to part with? I've got one I've been *heavily* using for live bass guitar the last couple years, but I'd like to get a mate for the unused one that's still working, for home sub duty.

John

Chas
01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
John, that is bad news. Even though they were a great deal, you still paid good money for them.

A few weeks ago, I opened up a pair of 2426H's I bought from Parts Express a while back, only to find that the three bolt holes in the snouts were drilled way out of alignment, partially blocking the throat when mounted to my 2307's. Being in Canada, it is a pain in the butt to get them fixed.:(

I wish I had bought more SUB1500's too....

johnaec
01-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I opened up a pair of 2426H's I bought from Parts Express a while back, only to find that the three bolt holes in the snouts were drilled way out of alignment, partially blocking the throat when mounted to my 2307's.I actually have a couple of those 3-hole screw-on adapters kicking around - let me know if you need one.

John

mikebake
01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
'Anyone still have a Sub1500 kicking around they'd care to part with?

John
What is the current market on them?

johnaec
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
What is the current market on them?'No idea - maybe someone has some they haven't been able to get rid of... :p

John

mikebake
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
What project are you using sub1500's for, and how has the unit for bass guitar held up?

johnaec
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I want to use the SUB1500's with PT800's I have here.

The "live bass" SUB1500 has held up amazingly well! I play gigs fairly often, (plus rehearsals - at least 200-300 hours of full-tilt total), and drive it with one channel of a Crest CA-9, which puts out 900 watts/ch. at 4 ohms. I've managed to hit the clip lights quite a bit, (several times every gig), and that sub just keeps on going! It's in a 4628B cabinet, and I don't hesitate to EQ it for maximum lows when necessary. I've never seen another 15" that can come close to keeping up with it.

It's because of this use that I don't want to consider matching it with the unused one for home sub use. The new will never come close to seeing the stress I've put the live one through, (unless I switch it to live use for 3 years to catch up), and I'm afraid they might not match sonically until then...

John

mikebake
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Your 4628B cab has the 2118H and 2404H in it, too?

johnaec
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Your 4628B cab has the 2118H and 2404H in it, too?Yep. I keep the HF control all the way down.

This cabinet is good down to around 40hz. I plan on making a larger cabinet for about 30hz response so I can use it better for 5-string bass, and include a doghouse for an E110 instead of the 2118H, and no 2404H.

John

scott fitlin
01-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Johnaec, JBL may be able to fix the frozen woofer. They bake the driver, gap opens slightly, they recone, then remagnetize the woofer. It can be done by the factory. Shipping + repair may cost, but, seeing as you really want this driver, and their unavailability.............

A thought! :)

johnaec
01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
...they recone,'Still waiting to hear on the availability of the C4RSUB1500 recone kit. Harman parts emailed me back to ask if that's a consumer or pro part... :( I sent back that it's the driver used in the Ti-K Sub, (I believe).

John

pelly3s
01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah Harman consumer seems to always have a problem with that part number whenever I talk to them about it. not the brightest people in the world down there. The driver certainly can be repaired though

scott fitlin
01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
What about trying JBL PRO? 1-800-8JBL-PRO. Its worth a shot!

Mr. Widget
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
The "live bass" SUB1500 has held up amazingly well! I play gigs fairly often, (plus rehearsals - at least 200-300 hours of full-tilt total), and drive it with one channel of a Crest CA-9, which puts out 900 watts/ch. at 4 ohms. I've managed to hit the clip lights quite a bit, (several times every gig), and that sub just keeps on going!That is amazing... I have a pair that I have seriously abused in HT action and they have held up well too. It is too bad that a few of these woofers were glued incorrectly and then there is your frozen one... that is really bizarre.

Whatever happens don't toss the frame. As Scott said, it is likely JBL can repair it at the factory...

No promises, but let me see if I can dig up a replacement for you.

Widget