PDA

View Full Version : XPL-20O A for surround system

djg21
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I own a set of XPL 200A speakers that I have owned for about 10 years and which are in virtually perfect condition. I'm in the process of starting to put together a home theater, and was hoping I could use the XPL 200As as the front channels of a 5.1 surround system. Has anyone done this, and if so, what kind of components (i.e., sub, center-channel, satellites) have you used?

A JBL rep told me I may have a problem because the speakers aren't "voice-shielded" (I assume she meant either/both voice-matched or magnetically shielded?). She suggested I try it with JBL's current Venue series.

Also, can someone recommend a receiver that will amply drive such a set-up.

I like nice audio, but cannot afford truely exotic audiophile equipment.

If it matters, I will be using a SONY KDL-52XBR4 LCD television.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer!

Doug

BTW, if this can't be done, my XPL 200As will need a new home.

speakerdave
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
The most satisfactory results will be had from using other speakers in the XPL series for surrounds and center. They do pop up on ebay occasionally, but not very often, and when they do they usually sell for substantial prices. However, if you are willing to spend the time and the money you could realize such a system. You should know, though, that the midrange and tweeter domes from this series are no longer serviceable at JBL.

It is not absolutely necessary to do that for strictly HT use, however (although quite necessary for SACD and DVD-A surround sound), so you could probably do quite well with speakers like the L100t3 or L80t3.

Some of our members have some experience with the Performance series. Perhaps they'll have some helpful suggestions.

It must be said, though, that your sales consultant is correct; it might be better in the end, and certainly simpler in the beginning, to go with the Venue series or some other current models.

As for the electronics, receiver or otherwise, it all depends on what your standards are. Harman has as good a series as any and better than many.

You can begin to study JBL's current offerings here: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=PER&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

David

jay
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
If it matters, I will be using a SONY KDL-52XBR4 LCD television.

As far as using the XPL200's, I'd say you're more than halfway there already. LCD tv's aren't susceptable to the stray magnetic fields of unshielded drivers the way old CRT tv's are. Go ahead and use the 200's and put them anywhere you want them. Merely add small, inexpensive rear surround speakers (maybe Control 1's?) and you've arrived.

H/K makes decent for-the-money receivers with ample current to drive multiple channels. If you watch eBay, they go for surprisingly low $$$ as "factory remanufactured" units, direct from Harman, fully warranted and everything.

jblnut
01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd keep an eye out for a pair of XPL140's or 160's to use as surrounds. You could even put a single 140/160 under (or over) the TV for a nice matched center.

HT is really about what sounds good to you. Things will sound more realistic with 5 identical speakers, but it's by no means the only way to go. Most of us using classic JBLs have to make do with with what we can because there were no matching centers until fairly recently.

If you have a newer receiver with a mic that can auto-equalize each channel then it's even easier to just use something fairly close. You might be surprised how good it sounds with something as basic as a S-Center and 2 S38's for surrounds. They are easy to find used and pretty cheap.

jblnut

djg21
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd keep an eye out for a pair of XPL140's or 160's to use as surrounds. You could even put a single 140/160 under (or over) the TV for a nice matched center.

HT is really about what sounds good to you. Things will sound more realistic with 5 identical speakers, but it's by no means the only way to go. Most of us using classic JBLs have to make do with with what we can because there were no matching centers until fairly recently.

If you have a newer receiver with a mic that can auto-equalize each channel then it's even easier to just use something fairly close. You might be surprised how good it sounds with something as basic as a S-Center and 2 S38's for surrounds. They are easy to find used and pretty cheap.

jblnut

I haven't decided for certain on a receiver. I'm presently using a NAD 2700 THX Amp and 1700 Pre-Amp with the XPL200As. I've always liked NAD's offerings because they seemed to offer a good deal of bang for the buck. I'm really curious about the new NAD T775 receiver, which I understand does use a mic to auto-equalize, but the price is probably prohibitive and refurbished ones are not yet available. A refurbished T773 or T765 more realistically would be in my price range. Then again, if I can use the xpl200s, I can save the expense of the front channels.

Don C
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
XPL200s work just as well for home theater as they do for stereo. I used mine with L20T3 for surrounds.

djg21
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM

jblnut

I've decided to go another route: I think I'm going with a Torem Acoustic system together with an Arcam Diva receiver. If anyone wants some XPL 200As in pretty munch mint condition, my wife says that I'll entertain offers (so I can buy something smaller and "cuter" for the living room!)!

Thanks for your suggestions.

jblnut
01-07-2008, 06:46 AM
You've got mail...let's see if we can keep these beauties on the East Coast. We need all the JBLs we can get out here :).

jblnut

pasadena
01-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Djg21,

Not sure if you've sold your 200's yet or not but I thought I'd throw in a few words in.

I have a pair XPL-200A's and use them in both 2CH and HT and they do an extremely excellent job in both situations. (hint of bias :D) I also have a B&W Nautilus HTM1 centre speaker, which until recently, was powered by my denon receiver. I have no surrounds as I have no room for them and I find the bass extension on the 200's doesn't warrant the use of a sub. I don't have room for a sub anyway and just as well.

If you do decide to keep the 200's try bi-amping them and I'm sure you'll be astounded by what you hear. Unfortunately, bi-amping requires more amplifiers, more this and that and therefore a heavy constraint on the budget.

I used to run the 200's with a Denon 2800 HT receiver, a late 90's model that was able to run the speakers, but that was it. The 200's are inefficient speakers and won't do them justice running them with amps that lack muscle and finesse. I bought myself a NAD 208THX to run my now sold B&W 801 Matrox Series Speakers and are an excellent match for the 200's. The 208THX is able to drive speakers down to 1ohm stable and setup as a monoblock, has enough juice to power a city ;) and sounds great.

I was also, (had to) use the 208THX through the Denon's pre-out section but as I find out and in 99% of most HT receivers, the preout section completely sucked. Most companies builiding these one box HT receivers don't invest any money into the pre-out sections and you therefore have to resort to seperates, another excercise in money spendin to start seeing some serious performance gains. If you decide to keep the 200's buy yourself a couple of 208THX's and I'll guarantee you'll be a happy man.

This was also the case with the B&W centre speaker, running through the pre-out section of the Denon didn't do it any justice, even through the Denon itself didn;t have the grunt to run these suckers, which inherits the same inefficiencies as the XPL'200A's.

I got rid of my Denon and bought myself a secondhand Meridian 568.2mm pre-pro, which is widely regarded as the best buy at the moment and offers the best bank for your buck. I have a couple of Pass Labs XA120 Monoblocks being built for me and will use these in conjunction with the NAD 208THX to run my 200's bi-amped. I forgot to mention, you need a DX-1 (if you can find one) to bi-amp the 200's....another added expense.

Separates to think about are Rotel's RSP-1098, integra's pre-pro, outlaw. There's a myriad of pre-pro's out there to suit the budget minded to the money guzzler enthusiast but it's a matter of finding something that sounds good to you and is kind to your wallet.

Is it me or is this all starting to add up to lots of money!! :banghead:

Where does it all end. ;)

Good luck.

Pasadena.