PDA

View Full Version : LE5-2 cone color?

L88P to L100
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my L88Ps to L100s. There are several LE5-2s on ebay right now. One pair is priced low right now but the cone color looks brown. Isn't it supposed to be gray. Seller claims the seals aren't broken. I emailed questions about them being reconed to him but he hasn't answered. Auction ends soon. Need info quick. Thanks for your help. Any other advice is appreciated.

Don C
01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
They were dark gray when new, they tend to age to brown. If the grilles were thrown away, (as often happened after the foam rotted) and they were close to a window, the sunlight accelerates the aging. Then they'll sometimes be tan. Some cones age to purpleish. Old LE5-2s seem to have a high failure rate, apparently age has affected the glue on the voice coils as well as the cone color. Don't buy them as untested, like you see on ebay so often. I'd try 140H-2s instead.

L88P to L100
01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe these were used where there was a lot of smoke. Every other LE5-2 looks much more gray to me. The seller still hasn't replied to questions. I appreciate your help. I've read there are off brand recones that don't meet specs. Any idea where to get the 104H-2s? Does JBL still sell these?

Joe Alesi
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my L88Ps to L100s. There are several LE5-2s on ebay right now. One pair is priced low right now but the cone color looks brown. Isn't it supposed to be gray. Seller claims the seals aren't broken. I emailed questions about them being reconed to him but he hasn't answered. Auction ends soon. Need info quick. Thanks for your help. Any other advice is appreciated.
Hello L88P...

Yes just as Don said it is a sign of long term exposure to light, more particularly probably the UV component. I also have a cone just like those shown. I removed the dustcap as part of a experiment to add a phase plug- guess what I saw? The small part of the cone that had been shielded by the dustcap, was a wonderful new looking dark grey, like some other newer LE5-2 drivers I have.

I have always wondered whether it would be possible to somehow renew faded cones like this. There is a french polisher's trick that can renew light and age faded greyish timber to a near original redish/brown colour using Oxalic acid. I once used this method on some old table legs and it worked very well. Not sure it would work with paper cones, But I am aware of opinions that it is not a good idea to wash/wet paper cones. How about grey watercolour paint.:blink:

I would look for some non faded cones, unless you are happy to hide these under grill cloth. A pair of non faded cones can typically be had for less $100 on eBay or more if willing to pay a premium for a buy it now.