PDA

View Full Version : How much to recap a pair of W5m's?

jerryjg
12-30-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a very good pair of W5M's that need recapping and resistors replaced as needed, and three prong cords.Just a general bringing up to snuff.Im no tech, just enjoy good music. Any idea how much on average I should expect to shell out for a job like this?

speakerdave
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
You're more likely to get an answer to this question at audiokarma, diyaudio or diytube forums.

David

doodlebug
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Dave's correct on that. I've not done up a set of W5Ms but have done quite a number of McIntosh and HK Citation amps. Since I do the work, I really can't comment on labor costs but I tend to spend about $100 or so on parts for a full rebuild. This would include power supply caps, bias circuitry replacement parts and interstage coupling caps. There are usually a few resistors that need to go due to drift out of spec, too. Depending on age and abuse, there may be some tube sockets, too.

Labor, however, will be determined by the experience of the restorer with that model amp and whether the amp inside is all-original inside. The additional problem with Heathkit stuff is that, if built from a kit, there are usually other problems with them if you can't confirm that they've been working fine recently due to poor experience of the builder. I've been there, done that....

I'd suggest you give Terry DeWick (http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm) in Knoxville, TN a call. He's one of the better McIntosh restorers in the US. His labor rates will be pretty typical, I suspect.

Cheers,

David