PDA

View Full Version : Need Connection Advice

Scooter
12-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I too have become tired of funding capacitor research, and I have switched to using an active crossover for my home setup. Now, I have connections with RCAs at one end, and XLRs at the other, and I need to know the preferable way to get connected--should I use microphone cable or just signal cable? How should they be soldered in either case, since I will have a leftover wire or connector depending on which I use. Input appreciated (pardon the pun).

Scott

podger076
12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
This what I used to hook up an Ashly in my system. Plain mic cable.
I went with the first (left option). No noise, worked fine.

boputnam
12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Or, if you've got good sources at-hand (or can order through Parts Express, etc), Hosa (http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/adaptors.html) has a terrific plethora (is that redundant... :blink: ) of adaptors. They are very well made.

XLR adaptors, shown...

Mike Caldwell
12-29-2007, 05:26 PM
If you get the needed adapters I would open them up just to confirm the correct wiring connections.

Mike Caldwell

johnaec
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Rane has an exceptionally good page on audio interconnections, (much more other good info at their site also): http://www.rane.com/note110.html

John

Scooter
01-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I decided to use the Dayton microphone cable and soldered as mentioned below. Working okay, though I did have some hum, which taught me not to cram things together and solder with patience. My budget only allows for Carvin amps and a Behringer crossover thus far, but I'm having fun doing something new. By the way, the adaptors from Parts Express are flimsy and do not fit well.

Mike Caldwell
01-03-2008, 07:17 AM
What conductors did you solder to what pins.
The shield should be soldered to pin 1 and 3 of the xlr or tied together
at the RCA end on the outer shield connection.

Mike Caldwell

Scooter
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I followed the top diagram in the #2 post below. I had not soldered this type of connection before, and so I had left too much wire inside which became bunched and in contact. Trying to do it too fast. Sounds fine now, considering the price. It's interesting to hear how a tweeter's characteristics change with changing crossover points--without having to pull out the whole network! Wish I had done it years ago.