PDA

View Full Version : McCauley Lens Horns

louped garouv
12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Are these pretty similar to the JBL line spec-wise for the horn cut-off and horiz. /vertical distribution patterns?

allen mueller
12-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Not sure, there are some clubs here that have them. I saw that pair on ebay and was tempted to bid. Did you win them? I have seen Sound Environments use them in some systems. I thought they sounded good. I recently got a pair of DAS 36" lenses/horns, and would have to say they sound very similar to the JBL 2395. I don't have both for a side by side, but the do sound quite good to my ears.

Allen

louped garouv
12-29-2007, 07:07 AM
nice looking Allen, i remember when you won that bid, not too long ago IIRC...

did you have a wooden horn before, or is that the case for the previous horn?

I picked up a pair of the 1" 1500Hz XO horn/lens baffle combos...

to use with some Altec 10" woofers and jbl tweeters....
should be fun...

:)

allen mueller
12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah that was me. I had to do a little work on them. The metal was strait, but the previous owner painted them with hammer finish paint and i did not like the look of them. I took them apart and paint stripped them, than repainted them black satin finish and they look allot better. On the DAS lenses I had to build a backing plate for them since they were open in the back. I was told by a couple of people that Vinyl had the same horns in their system before it became ARC and they changed to a Phazon system.

I still have the wood horns as well as some 2309/2310 lens horn combos. I plan this weekend to do allot of swapping and figure out what I like best. My first impression is that the wooden Westlake / 2397 style smith horns are the best overall performers. The lens/horn combos seem to work best for dance music.

Allen