PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter for 4411

NoEgo
12-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi there,
andyone know where I can get a tweeter for the 4411 ?

I have a recording studio and need one as they are my playback alternative reference. Long live JBL...

briang
12-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi there,
andyone know where I can get a tweeter for the 4411 ?

I have a recording studio and need one as they are my playback alternative reference. Long live JBL...

Lou,

eBay tends to have many 044 tweeters show up.

I can check my spares inventory, too. I might have one.

Also, last I heard, JBL had some 044 diaphrams back in inventory. If so, a repair can be made.

Regards,

NoEgo
12-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks Brian,
I am up in Calgary so I know there isn't one on a shelf here anywhere.

Can you let me know of a good place to send it to? The tweeter I mean?

I bought some mid replacements (not even the exact unit unfortunately) and when I replaced it I was still getting a buzz. I am hoping it's the tweeter. It isn't the crossover I don't think.

I just love JBL stuff , the old stuff. I searched for a long time for these babies and I want to make sure they are working good. The woofers are reconed too.

It look like the tweeters are mounted from the back of the baffle so I will have to remove the woofer to get them out . Does that make sense? Hey if you have any I will buy one or even two off you to have a back up. I replaced the original mid now and want to keep them all original ......Let me know I will buy them right away.
Thanks again.
Lou

briang
12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19456

NoEgo
12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks man

duaneage
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I went to a great deal of trouble to make a set of 4411 clones. They were my favorite small monitor.

NoEgo
01-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I am looking at another pair for playback in my live room for musicians.
I am definitely a lover of the 4411s. I have something going on though and maybe you guys can help me.

I thought the mid range went so I ordered a replacement pair and replaced one. No still there. Then I bought a pair of tweeters..Seemed like it was fixed then gradually started to come back. I didn't want to waste a tweeter so I didn't want to try another. There is a fuzzy tone it seems at certain frequencies not sure. Almost like a torn voice coil but the woofer and mids are fine.... Could it be the crossover? I am running it with a 175watt per channel solid state ART amplifier. I tried flipping the leads to the amp but it seems to reoccur at the same speaker, so I know it's the speaker. I was hoping it was the amp.

NoEgo
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Well I tried different components and some close listening last night and it seems that you can hear the fuzz through both the tweeter and the midrange even when I switch the mid range so I am now thinking its the crossover or something in the cabinet that is resonating.

I thought the crossover would just not send signal at different frequencies and not sound fuzzy ...

NoEgo
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Ok guys..I think I answered this myself...Why one side was affected I don't know.
I changed amps and hooked them into an Alesis unit I used for a smaller pair of JBL 4608's I thinnk, and I cranked and left a bass passage go on for an hour and nothing. They sound great.

It must have been the ART linear amp. It is rated at 200 watts and these at 150 but when I read the tech sheet on the 4411 it said that it was ok to drive them with a little more power like this.

Any, now I am in search of a P3000 Hafler...I hear they are a good match.
any comments?

duaneage
01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Sounds to me (no pun intended) like the level controls on either the speakers or an amp ws dirty. Dirty controls sometimes sound like bad speakers.

NoEgo
01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Anything is possible...Like I said when I reversed the left and right feeds it stayed on the left speaker, so I thought it wasn't the amp.
Maybe the pots on the speaker. Never thought of checking them
Good point. They are old.

duaneage
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I would replace them, although getting to them is difficult, the foilcal must be hairdryered off and all that. New pots make ahuge difference, more than fancy speaker wire or green markers on CD's

norski
02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
So, now that you discovered the real problem, did you end up with an extra 044 tweeter? I really need one as well. JBL has dropped all support for this model and has no diaphrams either. Or does anybody else have one for sale?
Thanks,
Arne

jacquesmonod
09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
It look like the tweeters are mounted from the back of the baffle so I will have to remove the woofer to get them out . Does that make sense?

I am new to the forum so please direct me to the answer, if this question was addressed before.

I just purchased my first pair of 4311b speakers to hook up to my Marantz 2238B. The tweeters are worned out but I was given replacement tweeters with the sale. I unscrewed the cabinet screws, but the tweeter plate seems to be glued on. How can I remove the tweeter without damaging the cabinet? Should I take the woofer out and access the tweeter from the inside? Thanks.

I have seen photos of used cabinets for sale with distorted tweeter holes, so I am a little concerned.

NoEgo
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I recall taking out the woofers yes.....