PDA

View Full Version : Santa was early this year! A new 2 way

Guido
12-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Santa came last night and brought me 2 awesome speakers.

The cabinet is simply STUNNING. Richards latest miracle.

A MASTERPIECE it is

:yes: and :yes: and :yes:

Guido
12-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Woofer: ME150H
Midrange/Tweeter: 2435 aquaplassed on H4338 Horn

Low Pass: slightly modified S3100MK2 circuit
High Pass: modified GT network, 1 maybe 2? notches added, HF EQ added, crossover region modified, sensitivity changed
Audyn and Mundorf Caps, Aircoils, CC technology
Yet to be tweaked to perfection.

Cabinet app. 140 liter tuned to 34 Hz. Lack of low end? Huh what's that? A new Bose invention?

Wood: Santos Rosewood

Sound at the moment is already incredible, believe me.........

hjames
12-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Woah! Stunning ...
There's always a place for beautiful wood in THIS forum, especially if it sounds as good as that looks!

Guido
12-23-2007, 07:15 AM
I was excited like a child when I unpacked them.
The installation of the crossovers and drivers was pure fun. The very first notes where already perfect. OK I developed the crossovers the last 4 month with test cabinets otherwise such a drop in isn't possible.

I'm SO happy. Thank's Santa Rich ;)

Robh3606
12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Just stunning:applaud:, so I quess you were good this year:tree:

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Congratulations to the both of you. :applaud:

Widget

Mr. Widget
12-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Audyn and Mundorf Caps, Aircoils, CC technology
I have been planning on working up some networks for a friend who has asked that I use Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Oil caps... do you think that using caps of this quality would benefit from CCing? Using twice the number at twice the value it would go from crazy expensive to insanely expensive. Have you done any experiments to see where/if the line of diminishing returns gets crossed?

Widget

crtstudios76
12-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I thought my new cabs were cool! Man...That's some incredible craftsmanship there!! Enjoy!!

Guido
12-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I have been planning on working up some networks for a friend who has asked that I use Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Oil caps... do you think that using caps of this quality would benefit from CCing? Using twice the number at twice the value it would go from crazy expensive to insanely expensive. Have you done any experiments to see where/if the line of diminishing returns gets crossed?
Widget

Widget, honestly I do not think those silver/oil caps are necessary at all. I did some tests and IMHO they are overrated and very overpriced. But they are fashionable these days. I use regular mundorf supremes and they are very good. Even better are audyn plus or audyn reference.
Everything more expensive is "Silver/Snakeoil".
But what do I know? Nothing....

Mr. Widget
12-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Everything more expensive is "Silver/Snakeoil"That is more or less my opinion too, however I have never built a network using them so my opinion is merely conjecture... and in any event my friend who wants the networks is the sort who buys into $2K speaker wires and the like. I laugh on the inside, but heck, if it increases his enjoyment and he can afford it, why not.

Widget

Guido
12-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Charge-coupling with the Solen-fast Caps is an important part of the JBL House Sound.

I haven't build a solen cc network. I'm completely satisfied with my audyn cc networks. All people that use my audyn cc networks are also satisified.
So I don't care about solen.
JBL use a UHF driver in the K2-9800 system. I personally do not care about those bathunting devices.

Many people go and use digital active crossovers. I wouldn't even touch one.

One need to develop an own taste and style and not just copy what others do. I always did it this way and it works fine.

It's as you said:

I think you have to find what works best in an individual system.

When you get your other diy amp going see what you think then.

He Ian. I just finished those XA160's. What other amp should I build?

pos
12-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Very, very nice !! congrats! :applaud:
Is this the first product of a R&G joint venture?

merlin
12-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Lovely to see those babies finished Guido. I saw the cabs at Richard's recently and they looked superb - far more adventurous than mine will be.

I'm using the Silver/Oil on the midrange but Hovlands for the HF unit. Why anyone would spend a fortune on these is beyond me but I guess if it makes them happy.

Ian, what do you mean by some capacitors being to revealing?

Guido
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Is this the first product of a R&G joint venture?

I would say the 3rd product.
1st 4345
2nd 4333
3rd ...

Guido
12-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I saw the cabs at Richard's recently and they looked superb

YES YES YES

Ian, what do you mean by some capacitors being to revealing?

Please not another capacitor thread. :no:

richluvsound
12-23-2007, 03:44 PM
So thats what they sound like. These amps ROCK Guido.

Thanks for getting me arrested for Christmas :banghead: It was'nt so bad, I love a girl in a uniform

I'm eating german chocolate:D

Rich

Guido
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for getting me arrested for Christmas :banghead: It was'nt so bad, I love a girl in a uniform

Come on 30 minutes at the police station isn't arrested :p

I'm eating german chocolate:DRich

Really? Or is it Swiss?

Don't blow those toy 18ers

richluvsound
12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Try and oil them soon. You house is a lot warmer than mine and less humid.

Ian Mackenzie
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Rich,

can you tell use a bit about the construction and type of wood and brand of goop dy goo you used?

Ian

rs237
12-24-2007, 02:58 AM
@ rich : great work :applaud:

@ guido : Congrats beautiful box, especially on the horn can be envious

:xmas: at all.

regards

juergen

Jan Daugaard
12-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Hi Guido

Congratulations on your DIY 2-way system! And merry Christmas!

While I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the 2435H, I'm enjoying the bass of the ME150H in my four S3100 every day.

I hope to present another DIY 2-way system soon. Rs237 knows what I mean ...

(Ich hoffe, bald ein anderes 2-Wege-System präsentieren zu können. Rs237 weiß, was ich meine ...)

Guido
12-24-2007, 04:12 AM
I hope to present another DIY 2-way system soon. Rs237 knows what I mean ...

(Ich hoffe, bald ein anderes 2-Wege-System präsentieren zu können. Rs237 weiß, was ich meine ...)

Can't wait :bouncy:

richluvsound
12-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Rich,

can you tell use a bit about the construction and type of wood and brand of goop dy goo you used?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Merry Christmas down there in the sun and sand. Xmas lunch on the beach:banghead: Thats just plain sick:p

I should really start a thread for the whole build ,but in brief; I laminated 2X 9mm flexy MDF and 4mm birch on the inside. I used epoxy / cotton fibre adhesive. The cotton fibre absorbs some of the resin and prevents the wood from sucking all the epoxy into the surface of the timber- this can cause delamination and voids. A fine glassfibre layer would do the same thing, but making sure the curf of the flexy was filled was my main concern.

This is the same adhesive technology they use for building the F1 Maclaren ,aircraft and the huge racing boats that mad people put there trust in when they get down to the southern ocean ;) It aint cheap gear !

I used the same resin for the diffraction lips above and below the woof ( i have another name for them,but I dont want Heather and Magnet 3 chasing me with a shotgun:D) Anyway , I added ground slate to the resin , but you can add just about anything to this stuff. SONOGLAS is pretty much the same thing.

The curved front section is laminated 25 mm MDF.

The baffle is 38 mm ,the sides are 24 mm ,back 18 mm , top and bottom 2x 15 mm laminated , base section is 2 x 25 mm laminated.

Hoerninger
12-24-2007, 04:58 AM
Guido and Rich,

what a beautiful work - congratulations!

:xmas:

Besides all the millimeters what about its height -
it is quite a bit, isn't it?
:sleigh:

richluvsound
12-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Please post questions

Rich

PS
Its important to note that too much catalyst ,although it speeds up the curing time ,makes the resin brittle stick to the recommended ratio unless your Widget;) I have see his resin work:applaud:

richluvsound
12-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Guido and Rich,

what a beautiful work - congratulations!

Besides all the millimeters what about its height -
it is quite a bit, isn't it?
:sleigh:

The Germans hate " and ' So , 1350mm = 53 1/8 " for the USA crew;)

JBL 4645
12-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Guido

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30139&stc=1&d=1198417313

Very nice and sweet, you suck!:applaud: Now which way did you say Santa was heading? Like the screw fixings on the back. Why is the loudspeaker cable going though the bottom port duct?

:happyh::window::tree:

Ian Mackenzie
12-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Bloody Box Builder.

I wasn't asking how good you are.
But by god your freakin good..mate!:applaud:.

I think we should commission you to make the E3.

Its one thing to make a box that looks good but also sounds good.

Dont worry about the sand..the saw dust gets in worse places:D

JBL 4645
12-24-2007, 05:17 AM
richluvsound

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30158&stc=1&d=1198496961

What’s this then, a wine rack system, for getting pissed up this season? :D Got to hand it to you Rich, you’re darn good at building some clone JBL loudspeakers.:applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
12-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Rich,

Seriously your work is an inspiration.....:bouncy:

Ian

Fangio
12-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Those turned out superb Rich. :applaud: Really beautiful finish.

Congratulations, Santa definitely meant it well with you Guido. ;)

Hoerninger
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
The Germans hate " and ' ... ;)
Why? It is Xmas time :) .

Inches for the Americans, millimeters for the Europeans :D.
I do not mind, it is to the calculator to do the job :p .

Guido
12-24-2007, 07:32 AM
SONOGLAS is pretty much the same thing.

Huh! SONOGLAS isn't a miracle material not used at NASA because it's too expensive ?? :hmm:

The baffle is 38 mm ,the sides are 24 mm ,back 18 mm , top and bottom 2x 15 mm laminated , base section is 2 x 25 mm laminated.

Russian Tanks are build this way. But they do not look as sexy :D

briang
12-24-2007, 07:53 AM
WOW!:applaud:

richluvsound
12-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Huh! SONOGLAS isn't a miracle material not used at NASA because it's too expensive ?? :hmm:

NASA Just called to ask what I used . I said I'd have to kill them if I told them.

Anyway , I know who the BOSS is , What has Claudia said ? And, FYI RITTER is German Chocolate.

I also learned at little bit of German yesterday " FOLGEN BITTE"

If you cant find any Swedish oil. YOU CAN SOME OF THAT VERY EXPENSIVE

SKIN MOISTURISER I SAW IN THE BATHROOM. :D

Guido
12-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Anyway , I know who the BOSS is , What has Claudia said ?

Well, NO idea what Bruce Springsteen would say, but Claudia is absolutely enthusiastic. :banana:

A new Fan you have :yes:

herve M
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
:presents:CONGRATULATIONS Guido!!!!

Ein andere pair ( for hervé) !!!!!:applaud:

toddalin
12-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Beautiful!!! :applaud:

cooky1257
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Rich they're Bootiful-and I don't mean tomorrows turkey/
F

JBL 4645
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM

National Audio Sound Authority (NASA) :D

Mr. Widget
12-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the in-progress shots and description Rich. :)

Sorry if I missed it, is that Teak veneer?

Widget

richluvsound
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Widget,

the veneer is Madagascan Rose Wood. I'm not a great fan of Teak splinters...!

BTW , I hear I have a little something under Merlins Christmas tree thanks to you:p.

Many thanks.

Rich

spwal
12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
gorgeous. merry christmas all!

Joe Alesi
12-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Congratulations Guido

Simply SUPERB :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Rich

So how much does a pair of those cost given the time it takes to get the parts together, I like the look of the top and bottom part, has they stick out, very tidy looking. :applaud:

richluvsound
12-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Ashley,

I dont think its wise of us to advertise the value of our gear on the open WWW. Not all who surf the net are honest ;)

Rich

Zilch
12-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Everything us DIY hackers make is crap.

We mostly build with junk found at the curb on bulk rubbish pickup day.... :yes:

hjames
12-25-2007, 12:51 PM

We mostly build with junk found at the curb on bulk rubbish pickup day.... :D
i fix my bad serrounds with rubber from my bicycle innertube - werks real gud -
why pay high ebay prices to MerryMelodies on ePay when tubes R cheep!!

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!

RKLee
12-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!Can you please supply me the T-S specs for your endeavors?

Merry Christmas everybody!

richluvsound
12-25-2007, 04:03 PM

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!
Heather,

dont shatter the Illusion . You tell everyone our DIY secrets and your gonna drive up the prices of JUNK. The price of used innertubes will shoot through the roof and a tube silicone will be more expensive than an new 1500 al

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
12-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Rich,

Poms are hoarders so I am shore you have a the odd door stoppers kicking around.

Apparently, the prices of junk went up as a result of Ebay ( the cyber trash recyclers) a long time ago.

readswift
12-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Many people go and use digital active crossovers. I wouldn't even touch one.

I'll bite: cause "once you start using Digital Room Correction - there 's no way back" ? :p

joke aside (hope I hit funny nerve) , these are surely the neatest pair of speakers I ever saw!

JBL 4645
12-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!

LOL she’s having us on, hey Heather, on your bike.:D I tried using (glue solution) that is used for repairing (inner tubes) on one of the JBL control 5 this year, really no wind-up I have the glue on the desk next to me still, damn it was messy, I’m telling you, I was desperate to fix the rubber surround to the cone and it was a dogs dinner I’m telling you.:banghead:

We mostly build with junk found at the curb on bulk rubbish pickup day.... :yes:

Rich

Then a pm would be advisable I guess, I mean I can guess on some figures for the parts, but it depends on where the parts come from? The timbre really isn’t an issue, just about any good ole timbre yard has good prices.

I noticed you didn’t use MDF, I’ve seen that timbre before, in fact my dad likes it so much he’s used for other things that don’t included loudspeakers, its called (strand board) I think?

Mate up in Scotland was using the same type for his JBL project this year, looks like a lot of sanding down on those edges to get a neat and tidy smooth finish. :)

Krunchy
12-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Guido, congratulations, looks like the big guy was indeed very good to you this year, hope you get many good years of listening enjoyment out of them.

Mr. Rich, you have produced another elegant set of speakers once again, you are on a roll. I remember seeing them in the "Dinner in England" thread and its nice to see your project completed, you must be very happy with them.

Very nice!

merlin
12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Poms are hoarders

Not fair that Ian - although I am sitting here looking at quite a pile of Be and Alnico at the moment ;) To Westlake or to give generously to the 4345 cause? That is the question.

I've now commissioned Rich to build some lovely Kinoshita clones as his next project. His work is remarkable when seen up close and his attention to detail and diligence in research is first class. I just don't have the time or anything like the woodworking skills that this guy has.

Guido, do you have any plots yet? I'm particularly interested in your use of the 140L cab for the 1500FE. Bet you are having a ball down there this festive time of year!

richluvsound
12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Not fair that Ian - although I am sitting here looking at quite a pile of Be and Alnico at the moment ;) To Westlake or to give generously to the 4345 cause? That is the question.

I've now commissioned Rich to build some lovely Kinoshita clones as his next project. His work is remarkable when seen up close and his attention to detail and diligence in research is first class. I just don't have the time or anything like the woodworking skills that this guy has.

Merlin,

your too kind. It really is a lot of fun . I neglected my wood skills for many years- People just want fast and cheap these days. ( hardly worth sharpening my tools for ) But , thanks to this forum I'm really enjoying the splinters again. The bonus being" the people I've met" oh yeah , and the quality sounds I have in my life.:applaud:

Now , about help with this Deqx . The manual is the same size as a copy "War and Peace". BTW, If I build westlakes, I'm building 2 pairs.;)

Rich

Guido
12-29-2007, 09:02 AM
BTW, If I build westlakes, I'm building 2 pairs. Rich

Pffffffffff Westlakes.......
What is a Westlake compared to my christmas present? Nada!
I'm a happy man :bouncy:

Jakob
12-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Congrat's to You Guido for a stunning pair of speakers! And my hat's of to you Rich: they are gorgeous!

I'm really interested in how they sound. As you know Guido, I have a pair of ME150's, and I recently couldn't help bying a pair of those Ebay 2435's as well. My thought was to loose my 2450 and 2405 and use the 2435 instead. So, how do they sound? Do you miss anything above 15kHz?

Best regards and happy holidays on You all!

Guido
12-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Guido, do you have any plots yet? I'm particularly interested in your use of the 140L cab for the 1500FE.

No, I didn't have the time to make plots. I just HEAR.
I don't use the 1500FE. I use the ME150.
The cabinets have app. 145 liters volume and are tuned to 34Hz. Richard managed it to hit the tuning/volume of both speakers within one Hz.
The low end is amazing. Can't imagine what additional improvement the 1500AL will bring. It will bring some though :)

So, how do they sound? Do you miss anything above 15kHz?
Sure NOT! I have some plots from the test cabs used for xover design and modification and they show extension to 20kHz. Actually they go higher than a 2405.
Be aware that the GT network for the H4338 have a rolloff starting at 14kHz!
The overall sound is extremely balanced and smooth. I can hear sax sessions for hours without problems.
The imaging of these horns is unbelievable.

The plot below is a combined graph. Low end is measured nearfield.

Robh3606
12-30-2007, 06:57 PM
You can get usable output above 15K out of them. It may not be as good as a dedicated tweeter would be but what's there works for me. If you could live with a pair of 4430/35's you can certainly live with these.

I use my 2435's above 1.5K in a 3 way. Here's what mine look like on SR waveguides. The top pair is the actual measured and the bottoms are the predicted.

Mr. Widget
12-30-2007, 07:41 PM
It may not be as good as a dedicated tweeter would be but what's there works for me. If you could live with a pair of 4430/35's you can certainly live with these.That is the best way of describing it I have heard... :applaud:

Widget

Zilch
12-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Heh. You guys are SO second tier:

Only *I*, me, the Zilchster, qualify to be summarily thrashed for pushing 2435HPL out to 20 kHz....

:nanana:

Robh3606
12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Only *I*, me, the Zilchster, qualify to be summarily trashed for pushing 2435HPL out to 20 kHz....

Why should you have all the fun

Rob:D

timc
12-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Very nice work!

-Tim

Guido
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
You don't need to push the 2435 to 20kHz.
They are still damped 4dB at 20 kHz.

Robh3606
12-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Mine is a bit more agressive. I have 2db of padding left at 20K. I hit unity at about 22K and have a rise to about +4 at 30K. Anything above unity is out of band.

Mr. Widget
12-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Mine is a bit more agressive. I have 2db of padding left at 20K.I think there is a fair amount of unit to unit variation above 10-12KHz with these drivers. One pair of drivers may require quite a bit more kick than another pair.

Widget

Robh3606
12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
I think there is a fair amount of unit to unit variation above 10-12KHz with these drivers. One pair of drivers may require quite a bit more kick than another pair.

Hello Widget

Yes that's true there is some variation from driver to driver and between pairs in that 10K-20K window.

Ian Mackenzie
12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Widget I agree.

I confess I was impressed with Rob's Be when I was in N.Y.

We compared titanium and the Be. I liked both but I think Be was more accurate. You get so used to a certain presentation after a long time its hard to let go of somethings.

But I think people get too excited about the extension to 20,000 hertz thing.

In reality most of what hear actually hear goes on below 10-12 k hertz.

I know for example adding a 2405 really adds air and ambiance to an otherwise wanting titamium diaphragm that has really slowed down and is heavily into mass rolloff at 9000 hertz.

As I recall the 045 in the 9800 systems only come into play much higher up.

If you spend a lot of time playing DVD forget about what happens above that region. Perhaps that is a clue as to why Greg is content with running his horns wide open.

What matters is the transient performance or self damping of the diaphragm in the 4-8 Khertz area. That is where Be had the advantage and it holds pistonic action out much farther than titanium.

As mention above when Rob and I compared both Be and Ti the titumium rings and emits a nice warm shine which can sound really good but its not necessarily accurate.

The Be driivers sound like they go up higher because the notes are more easily discerned by the ear. The decay of the titanium with acquaplas is better over the stock titanium but it does not have the life and speed of the Be.

The exit angle of the 1.5 inch drivers is also different and that has a significant effect on how well the mating horn works up high.

Zilch
12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
You don't need to push the 2435 to 20kHz.
They are still damped 4dB at 20 kHz.I believe that's harder than I've ever pushed 2435s, Guido, and if my sims are correct, 6 dB harder at 20 kHz than the Timbers filter:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=136534#post136534

I've never run the voltage drives on that, but can easily do so. 4313B may have posted them here somewhere, tho.

I certainly agree with the concept of shutting it down rapidly above 20 kHz, as I've discussed here before.

I don't have aquaplas'd 2435s yet, and they may take the boost more gracefully, but....

Also, I don't understand the reference to "Unity," or zero dB at the high end. The amount of boost is relative to where it begins, and, using the notch at 1.8 kHz as benchmark, Timbers has 14 dB to 20 kHz from there, whereas you've got 20 dB, looks like....

Earl K
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Nice project Guido !

& Hats off to Richard ! for all that fine woodworking that's on display .

Nice voltage drive, on that horn circuit .
( Is there an inline series LCR creating that "bump" at 20K ? )

:)

Guido
01-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Nice project Guido !

& Hats off to Richard ! for all that fine woodworking that's on display .

Thanks Earl!

Nice voltage drive, on that horn circuit .
( Is there an inline series LCR creating that "bump" at 20K ? )
:)

Sure there is a LCR inline

Generally I must say that producing curves is important but i always trust my ears in the last round of crossover design.

You guys need also to conider serious impact of your amps when judging speaker sound, especially through the midrange and top end. As long as you don't use a serious Class A design you shouldn't blame speakers for harsh sounding midrange or top end. With horn speakers this is even more important.

I had to learn this and use nothing else than Passlabs designs with my speakers any longer.
OK a pair of SAC 150's from time to time as they are much easier to carry than these 45kg room heater beasts ;)

Robh3606
01-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Moved a couple of posts on compression driver compensation to a new thread.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19493

Mr. Widget
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Generally I must say that producing curves is important but i always trust my ears in the last round of crossover design. Absolutely! :yes:

You guys need also to conider serious impact of your amps when judging speaker sound, especially through the midrange and top end. As long as you don't use a serious Class A design you shouldn't blame speakers for harsh sounding midrange or top end. With horn speakers this is even more important.Yes and no... I absolutely agree that when I used a SET amp or a nice little First Watt from Nelson Pass my mids and highs were much nicer, but the nasty bits and lack of stage depth that I have heard from other designs weren't there when I used some rather pedestrian Mosfets either... I was listening to Bo's 4345s recently and even with his very basic QSC amps they still managed to sound most excellent with the mods to his system that he has made. I'd be tempted to change the high frequency amp and keep the QSC on the bottom, but I don't think the character of his system would change, just one more layer between us and the music might get lifted.

I had to learn this and use nothing else than Passlabs designs with my speakers any longer. I like Pass Labs a lot... but ARC and a dozen or so others also make some pretty excellent amps.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
01-02-2008, 01:56 AM
With due respect its no secret Bo uses far less active EQ now than he did at the outset with the Ashly crossover and the Onkyo preamp and whatever active EQ he had at the time. No doubt the Tad driver also helps in that regard.

I think that is the point Guido was trying to make.

The whole signal path is just better and the more of it that you clean up the better it gets..and the less likely you are going to fidget around looking for what needs fixing.

We've been over this before. Its not just one fix or upgrade but the whole chain.

Of course with a hi end two way it can be a simple as a CD player with a remote volume and a hot power amp.

In the broader sense Ed and I messed with this a while back and Ed is quite content with his Pass Labs X1, X150.5, X250 and Pass diy active crossover and external hi end passive crossovers.

Widget, as you well know the best systems around have far from a ruler flat response on paper and seldem will you ever see a graphic Eq in the setup.

A great amplification set will really bring out the very best a loudspeaker can deliver. If it changed the character of a system I would say the amp was fairly colored and there are amps that will do that.

There is no question the Pass Labs amps make the big JBL's sing.

If Bo ever gets around to installing a cute class A amp on the highs we would find him permanently perched on the bar stool

Mr. Widget
01-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I think that is the point Guido was trying to make.

The whole signal path is just better and the more of it that you clean up the better it gets..and the less likely you are going to fidget around looking for what needs fixing.I certainly agree with the less is more approach even though I am not always able to follow it myself.

I took Guido's post to imply Pass Labs or nothing... this I have problems with. There are many excellent amplifier choices out there, Pass Labs certainly being among the very best.

Widget

Guido
01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I took Guido's post to imply Pass Labs or nothing... this I have problems with. There are many excellent amplifier choices out there, Pass Labs certainly being among the very best.
Widget

OFF TOPIC ALARM!

I was misunderstood again. I didn't want to say that Passlabs is the one and only company being able to build good amplifiers. I mean that with a crap amp even a good horn with a good driver connected to a well designed filter can sound annoying. Using a good amp solve a lot of horn speaker "problems".
I'll go and practice my english and return later.

Mr. Widget
01-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I'll go and practice my english and return later.
Yeah... me too. :rotfl:

While it is sometimes tough to adequately communicate through this medium, I still thank Al Gore for inventing the internet...;) this world wide discussion and millions of others just wouldn't be possible without it.

Now back to the subject at had...

Guido, get some oil on those babies and lets see them with the finish glowing.

Widget

macaroonie
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh yes , so I was. Rich it is super to finally see what you were beavering away at. Congratulations on a wonderful outcome, they look simply stunning.
I for one would apreciate some more blow by blow pics of the construction if you have them. :applaud: