PDA

View Full Version : L60T speakers, are they Worthy??

hjames
12-19-2007, 07:56 AM
I've been offered a pair of L60T (not T3) speakers - seem to be in fairly good shape, minimal chips, grills ok (a bit worn).

Are they worthy to add to my stable of speakers for - say $150?

Any caveats?

BMWCCA
12-19-2007, 08:09 AM
You knew you'd get a "Yes!" from me. I would say worst case you could play with them and, if you didn't like, need, or have room for them, sell them at a profit (or shift them to me at your cost!!). I recall many here saying very flattering things about them. At one point GordonW wrote:
There are two things that you can do to a pair of L80Ts, that will make them MUCH better:

1) Lengthen the vent... add about 2" to the length. This will lower the tuning frequency, and improve the bass.

2) Put an L-pad (50 watt, from somewhere like Parts Express) between the crossover and the tweeter. You can simply wire it in, inside the cabinet, set the level, and just attach it to something in the cabinet (even zip-tie it to a wire bundle or the vent or whatnot). This will allow you to return the system to stock, if desired. I expect most people will wind up with a typical L-pad turned down about 20% of its available travel range, from all-the-way-up... it's not a BIG alteration you need, but it makes a significant improvement.

Once this is done, IMHO, the L80T becomes one of the most listenable JBL models, of all... just a genuinely excellent speaker.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11375

Don C
12-20-2007, 08:58 AM
One rule of thumb that I like has to do with pro equivalents. Pro equivalent = good, no pro equivalent = not so good. In this example, yes the L60T does have a pro equivalent, it's home version of the 4408. So it's "worthy"
The rule doesn't always work though, as in the examples of my XPL200s and PT800s. No pro equivalents, so they're not worthy. But still I think that they are OK.

BMWCCA
12-20-2007, 09:17 AM
I jumped the gun and turned your L60t into an L80t but it seems the same opinions apply to most of the series. I'm quite pleased with the L20t, so on could assume....

Again with GordonW, but about a year ago he was selling a pair for $150, but I suppose you've already run it through this site's search function, too.

johnaec
12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a set of L60T's as my bedroom speakers and really like them! They have bigger cabinets than the 4408's, so bass is better.

John

BMWCCA
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
One rule of thumb that I like has to do with pro equivalents. Pro equivalent = good, no pro equivalent = not so good. In this example, yes the L60T does have a pro equivalent, it's home version of the 4408. So it's "worthy" So, that makes my L20Ts the home equivalent of the 4406? No wonder I'm growing so fond of them, 035ti vs. 035tiA notwithstanding! Looks like I'm starting a 4400 collection by accident.

So Heather, had a chance to try 'em out yet? Or did you just wrap them up and stick them under the tree with a card "from Santa" so Emma won't know? ;)

mike
12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I bought a pair about four years ago for $140. I was at the time very impressed with them. They sounded much bigger than they are and had a lot of punch to them. I seem to recall them having fairly deep bass. I also seem to recall them being revealing of mediocre amplification. They can sound harsh with the wrong amp.

Mike

hjames
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
So, that makes my L20Ts the home equivalent of the 4406? No wonder I'm growing so fond of them, 035ti vs. 035tiA notwithstanding! Looks like I'm starting a 4400 collection by accident.

So Heather, had a chance to try 'em out yet? Or did you just wrap them up and stick them under the tree with a card "from Santa" so Emma won't know? ;)

No, Emma's speakers were the L200s I was gonna sell and she asked me to keep instead ...!) I upped them to 3-ways and - you all know that tune.
besides, except for the jewelry I bought her at the Scottish festival, Emma's presents are already wrapped!

Anyway, these L60Ts may be our side surrounds for the TV room ... but they aren't connected yet.
That HK receiver does 7.1, and I haven't run it above 5.1 mode for Movies/TV yet ...

The hard part is that with the rear port, I'll need to space them out a bit from the wall, and - you've seen that room - its just not real large ...

Maybe I should just pull the L20Ts and use these instead, as flying arrays in the rear?
Maybe invert them and put eyehooks in the base -
What do you think - woofers up or down (grin)

SEAWOLF97
12-20-2007, 07:51 PM
What do you think - woofers up or down (grin)

or like the Boze guys do.....:blink:

BMWCCA
12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
What do you think - woofers up or down (grin)Sideways! :rockon2:

opimax
12-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Heather, I have 1 working and 1 not working, needs a woofer, I don't go with the crowd on this, i want to fix it to get rid of them. For surrounds they would be OK, although not much different then the 20ts you are welcome to pick up and play . I have a 2nd set of grills also but they are busted

Mark

hjames
12-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up!
Are the cabinets in great shape?

Didn't you want to part yours down to build that center channel - or do you have a more upmarket pair planned to "sacrifice" when you create that center hybrid?

Heather, I have 1 working and 1 not working, needs a woofer, I don't go with the crowd on this, I want to fix it to get rid of them. For surrounds they would be OK, although not much different then the 20ts. You are welcome to pick up and play . I have a 2nd set of grills also but they are busted

Mark

hjames
12-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Just picked them up at 1:30 today ... They had a few chips, so I got them for $130, instead of the $150 she'd originally asked in Craigslist ...

Sound is very nice - amazing full and rich sound for a 2-way ported tower - nice bass sound! I took my iPod and fed that through her Sony receiver - the usual tests: AJA, Jennifer Warnes (way down deep, Ain't No cure for love) System 7, Sylvian (Orpheus) ... they'll be a heck of a surround set!

As you can see, they look fairly good. Of course, the wood veneer was dry, but I wiped down the right speaker for this photo and the color popped right back in. Yes, they DID look the same before I wiped the right speaker down with Howard's Feed'n'wax - that stuff is amazing!

Now to find some wire and set them up as side surrounds!

So, that makes my L20Ts the home equivalent of the 4406? No wonder I'm growing so fond of them, 035ti vs. 035tiA notwithstanding! Looks like I'm starting a 4400 collection by accident.

opimax
12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Heather,

do you want a third (center maybe)and some spare parts? I am reasonable, future draft picks to be named later works for me :)

I hope to make my center from the top 3 drivers in a 250TI, modified 120 or 250 XO I have in parts and a yet to be built cabinet. I was toying with the idea of laying 1 60 on its side until this was built but I don't think it fit in the space or too heavy or something or 1 tweeter died maybe, too many other things have come up since way back then.

I was also thinking at 1 time maybe a 5.1 w/3 20 and 2 60 in the "dorm room" at one point too but too many other...don't even have the tv hooked up to a receiver yet. May go analogue in (sansui 7700?) that room, a and b; spare 120 and DQ-10s; no surrounds

w/your space I would be thinking 4 20 for surrounds , you could try a 2nd set of 20s to compare if you want borrow a set, I bet you would have a hard time w/the blindfold test in a 7.1 system telling the difference and could mount all the 20s off the ceiling. In my receiver all 4 surrounds get the same choices; all mounted high or all mounted low, XO the same for all speakers set to small. My last receiver all could be set individually

how flexible is the low pass xo in the receiver you use? If you can adjust each set independently even more reason for the 20 compared to the 60(imho)

I thought the 60 was the only speaker to use this woofer, not so???

Mark

hjames
12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
The receiver is a Harman-Kardon AVR 335 - I can set all channels separately for size and for crossover freq. I suppose I could hang another set of L20s from the ceiling on the sides, but the L60Ts sit on the floor ok and do add a bit of bass to the room. Unfortunately I don't have the room in the back to put another pair of L60Ts back there - the hanging L20s do fine for that (plus they don't have the rear ports to deal with). But if you want to dump your 60s we can talk after New Year - they'd certainly be worth having as spares!

For sound checks all I did was put the Harmon in 7 channel Cinema mode and play a bit of the KingKong movie, but Emma gave me the new Bladerunner box set, so I may try a bit of the new version to check the surround ... classic Vangelis!

Heather,

do you want a third (center maybe) and some spare parts? I am reasonable, future draft picks to be named later works for me :)

I hope to make my center from the top 3 drivers in a 250TI, modified 120 or 250 XO I have in parts and a yet to be built cabinet. I was toying with the idea of laying 1 60 on its side until this was built but I don't think it fit in the space or too heavy or something or 1 tweeter died maybe, too many other things have come up since way back then.

I was also thinking at 1 time maybe a 5.1 w/3 20 and 2 60 in the "dorm room" at one point too but too many other...don't even have the tv hooked up to a receiver yet. May go analogue in (sansui 7700?) that room, a and b; spare 120 and DQ-10s; no surrounds

w/your space I would be thinking 4 20 for surrounds , you could try a 2nd set of 20s to compare if you want borrow a set, I bet you would have a hard time w/the blindfold test in a 7.1 system telling the difference and could mount all the 20s off the ceiling. In my receiver all 4 surrounds get the same choices; all mounted high or all mounted low, XO the same for all speakers set to small. My last receiver all could be set individually

how flexible is the low pass xo in the receiver you use? If you can adjust each set independently even more reason for the 20 compared to the 60(imho)

Mark

hjames
12-27-2007, 06:45 AM
More extended comments on the L60T in side surround mode ...

For music use (AppleTV, CDs, and vinyl) I run everything to the Receiver's preamp outs, then to the Biamped 4341s in the front. I just play the system in Stereo mode (no surround), so the L60Ts and the L20Ts aren't engaged for music-only sources.

For DVDs and TV, I have the HK receiver set to 7 channel cinema mode.
That leaves the biamped 4341s on the LF/RF, that Beech JBL center speaker, and the bridged Citation Amp & B380 for sub use. The L60Ts do the side surround, and the hanging pair of L20Ts for rear surround.

Overall the sound is quite good - Blade Runner: The Final Cut was very fine (the newly remastered version), and a bit of Moulin Rouge was a hoot. Think we'll watch more of that this weekend - its an exhausting movie, but fun.

opimax
12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
come get these "spares" so I quit trying to repair them. happy holidays :)

Mark

hjames
12-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Mark

Hey, Happy New Year's Eve Eve to you, too!

We woke to a power outage here - heard a rumble and saw a Dominion (the Old Dumb Onion?) VA Power truck outside ... guy boomed up the pole and found a smoked squirrel on the transformer! Poor little guy (who will tell his family??)

Anyway, the tech got everything back up pretty quick, but it shot our morning momentum ...

just getting around to breakfast - talk to ya later!

richluvsound
12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Heather ,

best of the season to you both.

That is a nice find congrats :applaud:

Rich

hjames
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Okay, just won some L20T3 tweeters , cabinets and Xovers - tho I'll have to grab them in the next week or so ...
Its been real crazy around here - trips to Roanoke and such over the last couple weeks, plus dropping the HK into 7.1 mode - still sorting some things out (... need more Power, Mr. Scott!)

But it does make sense to have all the surrounds of the same series ...

Still got those spares?

Mark

Heather,

do you want a third (center maybe)and some spare parts? I am reasonable, future draft picks to be named later works for me :)

Mark

BMWCCA
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Funny, but the JBL consumer site still lists the grilles and crossovers as available for fairly cheap: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/partlist.asp?Parts=L20T3OAK&BrandId=JBL&MarketId=HOM&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

000000000000070784 http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/pixel/trans_pixel.gif GRILLE L20T3 http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/pixel/trans_pixel.gif $27.44 1/24/2008 Add to Order (http://www.harmanaudio.com/cart/cartadd.asp?Product=000000000000070784&Part=TRUE)

NL20T3 http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/pixel/trans_pixel.gif Crossover Network http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/pixel/trans_pixel.gif $2.01 1/24/2008 Add to Order (http://www.harmanaudio.com/cart/cartadd.asp?Product=NL20T3&Part=TRUE)

opimax
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Sure , currently watching some woofers, having a ping pong (or game)day Sat come then, any time after 4, most will be late, 10 people max, friendly

Don't make me fix them :)

Mark

hjames
01-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Sure , currently watching some woofers, having a ping pong (or game)day Sat come then, any time after 4, most will be late, 10 people max, friendly

Mark

He he he - I checked my back stock - I have a pair of scruffy 4406 cabs & grilles - without xover/drivers or that front slot port.
Got L20T3 cabs, xovers & tweeters I won yesterday, the L20Ts and L60Ts that are working as rear and side surrounds when in 7.1 mode ... so, depending on what you have, it may good to replace my current center (EC25-Beech) so all the surrounds are at least from the same series.

We are going to a Memorial service for a friend Saturday - not sure how thats going to tear up the day ...

opimax
01-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I suspect it may start and run late, and getting smaller, may go to Auto show Sunday.

I have 4 l20, 2 20t3, 2 18ti, the 60 , an extra set of grills for the 60s, and some spare 120tis,we should be able to figure out something

Feel free to call if you still have my number

MArk

SEAWOLF97
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
bot a pair of L80t's last week. Appear to have the same driver load as a 4410. They are OK, nothing to write home about...seem really BRIGHT and have no trim pots to tame that.

good condition, 'bout 2/3 what those l60t's were .....

opimax
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
the 80t3 have a great reputation,haven't heard them to verify. They are very different then the 2 way 60s except the tweeter, is there a pro version of the 60s?

Mark

hjames
02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Popped by Mark's last nice for some wii fun and to pick up the test speakers - one of his spare pair. Big fun time, as always!

Sunday AM - I just brought the L60T pair in from the truck.
I hooked one up on the floor in front of the TV. It sounds real fine, but once I set it on the shelf over the HD CRT - ugh - blotchy colour spews! Its not shielded, so it not usable as a center channel speaker. What a shame. Moved it back off and cycled power (auto-degauss) and the monitor is fine again.

With it back on the floor, I found Etta James on Austin City Limits - the sound is very nice for center channel use. It sounds better than our current Beech EC25 ... ah well.

Thanks for the test time, Mark!

Mark

opimax
02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
time for a new TV!!! Something big enough to go with the big sound instead of that dinky thing :D Most newer style TVs aren't bothered by magnets.

See Problem solved w/o messing w/speakers for once

Always enjoy the time together, forgot what i was going to call Emma from now on though

Mark

Tweeter available when needed, did you take the broken spares to fix?

And did you look at the tweeter mounting on the monitors?

hjames
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey now! The big telly is fine, its a 34 inch HDTV widescreen CRT style, got lovely contrast and all of that stuff, was a fine buy at the time - its still under warrantee & should hold us another few years. It fits our teeny tiny teevee room!

Of course, it does get affected by magnets and weighs 300lbs, but otherwise?

I got the working L60T, plus the other one with the good tweeter and frozen woofer (shifted pole piece). Plus the 4 grills. I did forget to go back in for the spare tweets, but that gives us a reason to come back for a visit Real Soon Now.

time for a new TV!!! Something big enough to go with the big sound instead of that dinky thing :D Most newer style TVs aren't bothered by magnets.

See Problem solved w/o messing w/speakers for once

Mark

Tweeter available when needed, did you take the broken spares to fix?

And did you look at the tweeter mounting on the monitors?

opimax
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
the 4406 takes a 35ti, not 044ti so I don't think this are what i was looking for, 4106 I think is what I am after...and of course you don't need a reason to come back , just come back :)

Mark

hjames
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Odd tweeter thing. I thought the right tweeters for the L60T and the L20T was the 035Ti, but your L60Ts had the 035Tia. Si, I opened my L20Ts, I had the 035Tia tweets also! Guess now I need to build a pair of the CC networks for them, like the ones 4313B had talked about ...

I got that pair of 115H-1 speakers of ebay - I had planned to use one to replace that frozen woofer in your L60s and one as a spare for later.
Anyway, once I opened the box and checked I found they were glued to the fronts, glued off-center, and not completely glued down flat. I just didn't feel right about them so I took some photos and packed them back up.

We emailed back and forth and he agreed to take them back, so I shipped them back Saturday for a refund. USPS says he received them 2/19,
but I guess now I have to wait and see how long he takes to refund them. Maybe I can find a single one to fix your bad L60T.

the 4406 takes a 35ti, not 044ti so I don't think this are what i was looking for, 4106 I think is what I am after...and of course you don't need a reason to come back , just come back :)

Mark

dirkmc3
07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Just picked them up at 1:30 today ... They had a few chips, so I got them for $130, instead of the $150 she'd originally asked in Craigslist ...

Sound is very nice - amazing full and rich sound for a 2-way ported tower - nice bass sound! I took my iPod and fed that through her Sony receiver - the usual tests: AJA, Jennifer Warnes (way down deep, Ain't No cure for love) System 7, Sylvian (Orpheus) ... they'll be a heck of a surround set!

As you can see, they look fairly good. Of course, the wood veneer was dry, but I wiped down the right speaker for this photo and the color popped right back in. Yes, they DID look the same before I wiped the right speaker down with Howard's Feed'n'wax - that stuff is amazing!

Now to find some wire and set them up as side surrounds!

You have to love Sylvian's Orpheus......you are one of the few! great dist to test any stereo

JBobL
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I gave my L60Ts to a friend couple years ago, still in the box. There was a factory note inside to treat them as 6 Ohm speakers. They sounded best when cranked up. Had to get the woofers refoamed almost immediately but local shop did both fer 'bout $98 after I removed them from the cabs. He mounted them to boards for shipping too. I liked them very much but bought new stuff for HT. Enjoy:)