PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of replacement tweeter

Lawrence HF
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Did not know where to put this, I'll try here. A friend in KS, MO blew out tweet on a JBL HSC620, he is not a speaker hobby person. He took it out, found VC open, called Orange County spkr. that many use here. No fix, sealed plastic driver, $50.00 for replacement. Ordered it, $10.95 postage fee, few days later found Harmon site, $27.00+ $5.00 postage. After some e-mail OC gave him some credit back on his card to come close to Harmon price, still a bit above. Just thought I would put this little story up.

edgewound
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Lawrence...

I'll come to the defense of OCS. They are both a competitor and a friend of mine...more like associates in the same business....and very nice people.

The way Harman has treated the consumer side of business these days is to treat the servicers now as competition. It's possible that OCS had some older inventory on hand at the old price and sought to sell it. Some of that inventory is now sold direct to the consumer from Harman's website and isn't even available to the servicers at a discount to make a profit anymore.

Thankfully, the Pro division hasn't started that practice of undercutting their own service network....and hopefully they won't in the future. Harman consumer isn't real popular with servicers these days. I just tell customers to go direct unless they want to pay more for the service.

I hope that clears up the catch-22 for OCS. Damned if they do....damned if they don't.

brutal
12-18-2007, 07:11 PM
"No good deed goes unpunished."

OCS also likely invested a little time educating the buyer. That, combined with the fact that it costs money to cut an invoice, box and ship a part contributes to sometimes paying more than list for something. Many companies have a minimum as well.

Back in the day, we used to get home users calling our business computer repair co. After spending considerable time on the phone helping them make a decision, because we're polite, helpful folks, they would be appalled that our charge for their choice of mouse was 20% over BB.

Service comes with a price.

Your friend should count himself lucky OCS was willing to issue a partial credit.

Cheers!

Lawrence HF
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
He is to get one from OCS, and another from Harmon as a spare for the "next time" if these should be hard to get in future. Told him to take it easy on his ears and speakers.

BMWCCA
12-19-2007, 08:02 AM
You might also want to direct your friend to some better amplification. Take a look at this bulletin: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

Back in the old days, I fried an 075 and JBL repaired it under their lifetime warranty, and at no charge. They did include a note suggesting I carefully examine my amplifier (Kenwood receiver) for high-frequency oscillation, or just replace it. I did, 36-years ago, with a Fisher SA-1000 and, two years later, a Crown D150 and the 075 has had no problem since.

Suggest to your friend that he get a bit more into the hobby and fix the cause, not just the result. ;) Eye candy:
http://fisherdoctor.com/pictures/fisher/amps/sa1000b.jpg
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

Lawrence HF
12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
My friend had recently moved around his furniture and speakers and noticed the problem. So he does not know when it actually occurred. Crown DC300, had him check DC offset both sides, 1.4mv and 4mv. I don't think these are his main speakers, other brand I don't know. I think his amp is stable, and will warn him about pulling out plugs or making changes with power on. I asked if he has turn on/off thump but did not get answer yet. I think he just got carried away with how loud it was[perhaps altered brain function], and these things, I mean VC's failing do happen esp to tweeters too loud over too much time. It's never happened to me 40 yrs. with JBL tweeters.

edgewound
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
. It's never happened to me 40 yrs. with JBL tweeters.

That's because the the HLS620 tweeter is a little-bitty Audax...and not a JBL.

Shhhhhhhh....don't tell anyone.;)

ponz
12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Good Day,

I'm the individual that nearly paid 'double' for the blown tweeter.

1) My system is a Phase Linear rack system purchased approximately 25 years ago. It has been well cared for and this is the first blown 'anything'.

2) I have never misused or abused my system.

3) There was very little time spent on the phone. Just enough time and words to get my credit card number and assure me that was the best price anywhere.

4) Yes - I consider myself lucky for having been credited back some cash.

5) I will consider OSC for future needs, but will intensely research all other avenues as well.

Mr. Widget
12-22-2007, 10:43 PM
4) Yes - I consider myself lucky for having been credited back some cash.I was quite surprised too. They certainly didn't have to. How many stores (outside of large chains which have low price guarantees) do that sort of thing anyway?

5) I will consider OSC for future needs, but will intensely research all other avenues as well.Always a good plan. :)

Widget

BMWCCA
12-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Ponz,

Welcome. So what is the amplification you're using? Phase Linear or Crown DC300? :dont-know:confused:

I'd keep the 620's hooked up until you can give your rack a clean bill of health, now that we know how cheap the HF drivers are. (We did confirm we're talking about the HLS620 here, not an HSC?) Do a search for the HLS620 and you'll find you're not the only one with complaints of a blown tweeter. BTW, I assume you ordered a spare from Harman while they're available, and cheap?