PDA

View Full Version : Meyer CP-10

boputnam
12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Anyone know these Meyer CP-10's (http://www.meyersound.com/products/processor_drive_systems/cp-10/)...?

I've got five of these scattered through my various SR racks - I really like them at FOH (powerful tools), but have never tried them in a "listening" setting. So, last week-end, on a lark, I swapped one into my home system (I had a few laying around from recently dismantling a rehearsal studio...:().

Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice.

I've since swapped one into my studio rack, too.

Mr. Widget
12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice. I thought we had talked about them... they are considered by many to be among the very best EQs going. If you have an extra one it should be in that home rack with your 4345s.:D

Widget

boputnam
12-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Yea, I 'spose we did, Widget - that was probably about two-years ago when I was accumulating them and putting them into all my SR racks.

And, it is. I trialed one in my studio/office for a few days and heard, I thought, an overall improvement particularly in coherence (or so I thought). So, I stuffed another one into the big system to same effect.

Last night I played that Patricia Barber CD "Cafe Blué". 'Wood is a Pleasant Thing to Think About' and 'Inch Worm' have never sounded like they did last night. It was pretty damned astonishing - every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.

johnaec
12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
- every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.Are you using these as pre-amps, replacing another EQ, or other? 'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why? Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?

'Just curious what exactly is responsible for the improvement...

John

BMWCCA
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
And I just want to know where to buy them and how much they cost. The company web site was of little to no help.

boputnam
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Are you using these as pre-amps...?No, they are passive, after the pre-amp.

...replacing another EQ...?Yes.

'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why? Than the system did, before - and it was hella good before. Sounds more natural/neutral than any system I have heard save Widget's, and now ours are comparable.

Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?There is still the same pre-amp and amp as before - only change was the EQ. PEQ's introduce notably less phase perturbations than GEQ's do. Also, the Q is highly adjustable, and the frequency can be pin-pointed. So, less of the frequency response is impacted unintentionally - the corrections are more precise.

That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve. This device just sounds, well, less... :p

johnaec
12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve.'Just curious - how did you determine the curves? SMAART? RTA? Ears? Combination?

To me, the best sound I've gotten has been when doing it by ear, based on single note sine waves at 1/3 octave ISO center frequencies, using a Neutrik Minirator as source. I plug in each frequency one at a time, first left, then right, and adjust to equal *ear* volume, then L+R together, while moving around the room, and fine tuning, taking into account intermediate frequencies. Of course, the curve will only be perfect to *my* ears but that's what's nice about being able to store setups... ;)

John

boputnam
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
'Just curious - how did you determine the curves? SMAART?...:yes:

I find it's results are less subjective and more consistent than other "methods". That said, if there is ever something clearly "not right", it get's remedied. But the more I use the Smaart platform, the more I learn about and appreciate the benefits of proper EQ. JMO...

The whole point here was to acknowledge the extreme importance of the gear you choose - at all price points. I did not expect such improvement going from the GEQ I use to this particular PEQ - they are both best in class. There is more phase distortion in GEQ use than most of us admit to. GEQ are great for SR applications* where you need to move fast and benefit from their very visible "curve", but in more static settings PEQ are a better choice.

(* - I've not had any GEQ in my SR racks for the past year or so. I get better results with PEQ's).

Oldmics
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
So the KTs are out and the Meyers is in at F.O.H. ?

Oldmics

Sicily for N Y Eve and then onto Germany for a beer with H.P.

boputnam
12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
So the KTs are out and the Meyers is in at F.O.H. ?Yea - a major change for me. The KT9848 DSP weaned me from the GEQ "crutch" - the "holyshitgrabafilter!!" reaction. The KT9848 has 12 PEQ on each input and 6 PEQ on each output - working with them over the past three-years spoilt me - the GEQ filters seem never centered where I need them. Plus, the CP-10 is only 2RU - gaining back rack space is always fun!! :)

Sicily for N Y Eve and then onto Germany for a beer with H.P.Wow, good for you, dood! You gigging or just pleasuring?? Please give our warmest regards and take some pics, of course!

I'm gigless this NYE for the first time in years. Here's me jammin' behind my little Midas Venice desk at last years gig... :dancin:

Andyoz
12-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Here's me jammin' behind my little Midas Venice desk at last years gig... :dancin:

Well, Led Zepp were jammin with a big Midas desk in London last week (I think you'll appreciate these photos Bo).:applaud:

boputnam
12-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Well, Led Zepp were jammin with a big Midas desk in London last week (I think you'll appreciate these photos Bo).:applaud:
Wow, Andy - nice! You got full credentials, dood!! ;)

I've not been on an XL8 - don't see the chance coming my way. Worked a Digidesign a few weeks back - nice control surface. Incredibly intuitive and powerful desk...

Andyoz
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Bo,

As much as I'd like to say I was there at the desk, sadly not. Those photos were forwarded to me from one of the suppliers we deal with and they supplied the Midas desk. gggrrrrrr...

I can send you the hi-res images if you like...I may get them framed myself for the music room.

p.s. can you make out what all those scribbles on the setlist mean!?!?!

Oldmics
12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Bo-Work gig (yeah right :nutz:)

Seeing more of the world thru the tour bus windows.

Notice the delay and verb settings on the set list.

any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?

Oldmics-Analogue to the death :biting:

boputnam
12-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I can send you the hi-res images if you like...I may get them framed myself for the music room.:yes:

p.s. can you make out what all those scribbles on the setlist mean!?!?!Yeah, they are cues for FX...

any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?'zactly. Yeah - if I get the hi-res I'll forward them along (I thought I had your email but am not sure...)

edgewound
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Bo-Work gig (yeah right :nutz:)

Seeing more of the world thru the tour bus windows.

any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?

Oldmics-Analogue to the death :biting:

Have fun in the EU Oldmics.

Have you heard Plant sing lately? The delay will help.:p

boputnam
12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Oldmics-Analogue to the death :biting:I hear ya...

That Digidesign Venue was pretty damned appealing. Incredible power and ease-of use. I grokked it really fast - surprised myself for a newbie. They done really well in making it "analogue-guy friendly". However, all night I found myself wanting more warmth on the vox and used the strip parametrics to gently add a broad hump through the 400-1,100 Hz range - I kept moving the center frequency and varying the Q to best result, but nothing seemed satisfactory. Everything was crystal clear - great headroom too - but it lacked body somehow. I thought it was the venue/night/no dinner/etc. Then listening to my boardtapes (CD-R) made on my machine (Sony CDR-W66) I heard the same characteristic. It is the preamps - they are lacking that good old analogue distortion we are accustomed to. Call it warmth, whatever. I was sure drawn to the incredible power of the tool - it is extremely addicting with all the call back features, routing, programming, etc - but the sound is not (yet) likable to my ears.

boputnam
12-18-2007, 06:51 PM
...any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?:yes:

Thanks, Andy!!

Krunchy
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
And I just want to know where to buy them and how much they cost. The company web site was of little to no help.

Greetings Bo!, and thank you for the heads up on this unit, looking forward to integrating it into my system :)

Now to BMWCCA's inquiry.

This model is still being manufactured and is apparently still very popular, I was told that they were introduced in the late 80's....they are currently retailing for $4,100.00.
I recently scooped one up on ebay for $603.00 (beat someone out by $3.00 :D), the unit looked like it was abused and I was a little surprised by the amount that it went for. It gets better, when I got the unit it indeed looked like it was not treated half as well as it deserved and when I hooked it up...oh boy, bad news, some of the knobs were produning very nasty snap crackle and pops when turned & I mean really nasty I thought it was going to damage my speakers (hooked it up to secondary set not the 4430's for which it was intended).

Immediately unplugged & shipped it to Meyer Sound, (great custommer service & great turnaround time, 1week). they replaced pots and re-calibrated the unit and are in the process of shipping it back to me, total cost for inspecting unit replacing faulty "stuff" and recalibrating was $270.00. This company is sooo professional, a real pleasure to deal with. I only wish other companies would begin to approach the level of customer service these guys provide, I am actually surprised that companies of this caliber are still out there.
Cant wait till it comes back :)

grumpy
02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
looking forward to integrating it into my system

Hi Krunchy, FWIW I've found I only needed 3 of the 5 bands per ch for what I
wanted to achieve...

Do you have a measurement system (sorry, if you've posted that info)? Setting
these (parametric EQ) up by ear, especially while learning about them,
could turn into a very less-than-optimum selection of settings. -grumpy

Krunchy
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Grumpy,
No I do not have a measurement system at the moment and, I agree about setting these up "by ear". I could only envision someone's (who actually knows something about this) expression if they heard what I could potentially set these to :rotfl:. Been reading a lot here and am aware of my learning curve requirements (they're vast :D ). I am proceeding slowly & with some caution, thank you for bringing it up I appreciate your concern.
My saving grace (hopefully) is that I am aware of just how much I do not know about all this stuff.
Its all new to me but I want to at least have a very rudimentary understanding of how & why some things work and some do not (even though I might think they should). One thing that I have become aware of is how much I have to un-learn about sound, we'll see how that goes, cant make any promises there ;)

grumpy
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
cool. That EQ is a very nice tool & deserves knowledgeable use.
On your way to a -very- nice setup :applaud:

Mr. Widget
02-11-2008, 11:38 PM
This company is sooo professional, a real pleasure to deal with. I only wish other companies would only begin to approach the level of customer service these guys provide, I am actually surprised that companies of this caliber are still out there.I have dealt with them on several occasions and even John Meyer himself and have the utmost respect for them and would recommend them and their equipment to anyone looking for top notch pro gear.

Widget

boputnam
02-12-2008, 02:32 AM
I have dealt with them on several occasions and even John Meyer himself and have the utmost respect for them and would recommend them and their equipment to anyone looking for top notch pro gear.Agreed.

All my CP-10's have cycled through service, to ensure they are functioning as designed. I'm not sure I understand the repair pricing structure, but whatever... I had one unit fry it's power supply - a very strange occurrence seemingly caused by my taking a split from a feed into the CP-10 (console output into my USBPre), and then trying to send from the USBPre into the console (Pink Noise). All the matrix outs and mono out were used, and there was no pfl out - a split was my only option. It wasn't happy with something about that. :blink: Meyer had it back to me within a week. :thmbsup: Anyway, now I carry a Pink Noise CD, too. :thmbsup: :thmbsup:

To Grumpy and krunchy: after you are done revelling in their power, be modest with your filters. This is an intensely powerful unit - extremely narrow, Hi-Q focussed filters can be affected. Let us know how you like their sound...

grumpy
02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
To Grumpy and krunchy: after you are done revelling in their power, be modest with your filters. This is an intensely powerful unit - extremely narrow, Hi-Q focussed filters can be affected. Let us know how you like their sound...

Indeed. I knew what I was in for from the start. ;) Thanks.
...appreciate the good words of wisdom/experience.

Listened to determine areas I wanted to focus on,
measured system to get numbers (freq, approx Q, and gain)
and to decide where to bother "fixing" things (& by how much),
set EQ,
measured again,
small EQ adjustments,
listened,
done adjusting for now.

Note that achieving perfect flatness was not my intent.

I like it because it's an appropriate tool for what I wanted to
achieve and because I -don't- hear it. :) -grumpy

Krunchy
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Indeed I have no idea what I'm in for :D but am looking forwar to it & will proceed with caution and only when I feel comfortable with the unit.
Thank you Bo, will heed your advise.

richluvsound
02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
hi Krunchy,

do you have a contact number for the service centre. There is a meyer here for £ 375 . I was thinking of sending it for a make over.

Rich.

Krunchy
02-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello Rich!

Here are the vitals.....
BTW I never sent them my sn # I just shipped them the unit, I didnt think it was that vital
:)

"We have two levels of repair for CP-10's.
Level I is verify the unit is performing to spec and calibration. $180.00
Level II is any repairs needed and calibration. $270.00

We will make the determination once the unit is in whether it requires a Level I or Level II service.

If you wish to send in the unit for service we will need a serial number. If you have any specific complaints it is helpful for us to know that information, especially if any of the issues happen to be intermittent, so that we are sure to address it.

Sincerely,

Kim Sandholdt
Service Dept. Supervisor

MEYER SOUND SERVICE DEPT.
2809 TENTH STREET

BERKELEY, CA 94710

Phone: 510-486-1166 x 324
Fax: 510-841-0753

email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Service Dept. email: [email protected] ([email protected])

boputnam
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
BTW I never sent them my sn # I just shipped them the unit, I didnt think it was that vital...It may not be, but it helps them track things.

email Kim with your S/N and you'll get a RA# in return - mark this on the outside of the carton. They will email you on completion and shipping. Say "howdy :wave: " for us!

Krunchy
02-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Good point Bo, I was'nt sure why they were requesting it, I just needed to get mine out asap.
I'll keep it in mind for next time but hopefully that wont be for a very long while. :)

Rich!

Did you wind up getting the unit?

richluvsound
02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Krunchy,

it was fubar from the pics they sent. Also, after conversations with Bo and Widget-dont shop with them either, both have more expensive taste than me :D I decided not to change.
To replace the the features in the Deqx would cost a small fortune. Plus, bo and I worked so hard to set the PEQ in the Deqx . There would be tears if I lost quality in sound now. I'm also trying to sell my organs to buy this MSB.
Not to mention another purchase that was a tad expensive:applaud:
And then theres the move to Berlin that gets put back everytime pretty Led's catch my eye. I still dont have a decent CD player yet.

Rich

Krunchy
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
it was fubar from the pics they sent. Also, after conversations with Bo and Widget-dont shop with them either, both have more expensive taste than me :D I decided not to change.I'm also trying to sell my organs to buy this MSB.

Hello Rich,
Sorry the unit did not work out,, thats too bad, I'm sure something else will come up just at the right time & I'll try to remember not to go shopping with thems gentlemen :D
Good luck with the organ auctions, just put a reserve on em and let em ride.
w Barney Gumble voice....DIBS ON THE LIVER!

E D I T:

Atually you better hold onto that particular organ if you are moving to Berlin.
All the best Rich!
:cheers:

alskinner
02-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Based on recommendations from Bo and others I decided to try a CP-10. I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP=10 beats it in terms of phase shift. I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. At some point I will send it off to Meyer to insure it is calibrated properly, but all pots are dead quiet and it functions flawlessly. I will have to get an RTA to set it up properly but for now I am having fun playing with it. Again thanks for the recommendation it was money well spent.

AL

Skywave-Rider
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Congrats to Al and Krunchy. Nice unit. I'm jealous.
Krunchy don't be afraid to twist the knobs in learning how to use it. Playing with an EQ is also good for ear training IMOP. Just don't have your amp cranked while you're boosting like crazy. (Don't forget to cut too.) I'm sure you've already tweaked and twisted yourself to oblivion by the time you've read this.

:D

boputnam
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
..I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. Gollydam, Al - that is a phenomenal price! And, with all the knobs in-tact! Good one. I have never heard of one going for that price. Nicely done.

...I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP-10 beats it in terms of phase shift. :)

Krunchy
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Congratulations Al !, now that is a great price :) :applaud: you'll be very happy with their customer service as stated in previous post.

Skywave, Been twisted for a while, now trying to de-twist, got unit back today, may hopefully be twisting tonight :)

Krunchy
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Bo! I finally had a chance to hook up the cp-10 to my office system, and :jawdrop: !!! I've never heard anything like that, just a coulple of tweaks, I am really dumbfounded. This fact with one of the first things you said to me when I joined the forum "just wait till you hear 4313B's" (which is what I have them hooked up with now) have me floored.
I cannot thank you enough! but I'll try, thank you, thank you, thank you!

boputnam
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
...thank you...I think that speaks to the core of this place. We all love to hear of user's progress through the JBL lines, and their observations.

In this case, the 4313B with a CP-10 has gotta be pretty pure stuff. Nice choices... :)

Krunchy
02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Agreed! I would not be in the position I find myself in today if it were not for the kindness and knowledge and the willingness of the members of this fourum to share their vast knowledge with all of us. I am deeply gratefull and contiue to be so for this place has enriched my life in many different ways, expanding my horizons in music and my understanding (still limited) of speakers and gear that I would not have thought of in a million years, especially bi-amping :D.

From my humble MR38s :D to the 4313b's if my progression ended here I would be in musical/audio bliss to the end of my days, the 4345's are icing on top of icing on top of cake......:homer: MMM SWEEEET!

richluvsound
02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Krunchy,

the 4345's have been licking someone. They just get better and better. "Not possible you say" How much icing can you eat Big Boy. :D I'm hoping
you will help me rekindle the the 4345 club thread. I think we should all stick
photo's of our girls on there and write a little bit about the history of the journey.

I can only reiterate the gratitude you expressed so eloquently in your last post. The 4345 is wonderful thing. That Greg Timbers guy is :D

Rich

Krunchy
02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
the 4345's have been licking someone. They just get better and better. "Not possible you say" How much icing can you eat Big Boy. :D I'm hoping
you will help me rekindle the the 4345 club thread. I think we should all stick photo's of our girls on there and write a little bit about the history of the journey.Rich
You were'nt kidding, I thought of that remark when I was playing them on saturday morning. Yeah, unbelievable Rich! I do not doubt you or anyone else for a minute. I was just playing them straight, no eq, cant imagine what they would sound like with the Meyer, the 4313B's were night and day, just speechless.
Bo, I believe you are using the CP-10 in conjunction with the Ashly cross over, did you ever use it with the 5234A?

Rich, anything I can contribute to the 4345 club I will do so with great eagerness, let me know what else you got in mind, a worthy endevour :D (chomp!)

Ken Pachkowsky
02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I think that speaks to the core of this place. We all love to hear of user's progress through the JBL lines, and their observations.

In this case, the 4313B with a CP-10 has gotta be pretty pure stuff. Nice choices... :)

Bo

I am surprised you did not try the CP-10 on the home system sooner....

Better yet, by-pass the upper 2 x-over points on that internal crossover and get Widgets Deqx to try out. I suspect, you will never go back.:rockon2:

Hope your well...

Ken

boputnam
02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Bo, I believe you are using the CP-10 in conjunction with the Ashly crossover, did you ever use it with the 5234A?...No.

Like all here, the system evolved - iterations:

#1 - JBL 5234a, Ashly QGX3102. This was a nice system, great sound. The filters proved a bit wide for my needs, but certainly far ahead of anything I'd previously had.

#2 - Ashly XR1001, Ashly QGX3102. This improved the S/N with the quasi-balanced XR1001.

#3 - Ashly XR1001, KlarkTeknik DN370. Big improvement on the EQ filter precision.

#4 - Bryston 10B, KlarkTeknik DN370. Vast improvement on crossover - clarity, soundstage, all of it. Interestingly, this change reduced much of the EQ needed in the +2kHz range... :hmm: The Bryston is much more transparent.

#5 - Bryston 10B, Meyer CP-10. Uh, that's pretty much the best I can imagine. The precision of the PEQ is more desireable for this set-up.

Krunchy
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Interesting!, thank you Bo.

boputnam
02-27-2008, 07:46 AM
I am surprised you did not try the CP-10 on the home system sooner....Yea, well, as I say...

...I've got five of these scattered through my various SR racks - I really like them at FOH (powerful tools), but have never tried them in a "listening" setting.I had no spares. Two lived in rehearsal studio racks, and the rest were deployed in the various roadracks. That band blew-up, and so I retrieved all my gear from their studio. Viola! Some spares to try for myself... :)

Better yet, by-pass the upper 2 x-over points on that internal crossover and get Widgets DEQX to try out.:no: I patiently await a custom new build of the stock network topology. You know me - I'm staying close to original as possible with these.

Mr. Widget
02-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Like all here, the system evolved - iterations:

#4 - Bryston 10B, KlarkTeknik DN370. Vast improvement on crossover - clarity, soundstage, all of it. Interestingly, this change reduced much of the EQ needed in the +2kHz range... :hmm: The Bryston is much more transparent.I'd submit the change in EQ correction was derived more by ear than by measurement. I would also bet a similar adjustment occurred in the change from the JBL crossover to the Ashly. It may have been more subtle and gone unnoticed though.

What I am getting at is that many of these "lesser" opamp based devices tend to sound a bit hard, or upfront, or harsh, or? fill in your own subjective phrase, but to my ear they tend to get a bit aggressive sounding in this region. I'd submit the more musical sounding Bryston crossover removed this perceived emphasis and therefore less "correction" was necessary.

As for the DEQX... if you can build an all analog system that really works, I'd stay in the analog domain. That said, the DEQX and a few other top digital devices can be real problem solvers. I don't think they are quite the equal of SOTA analog yet, but their day is getting closer and closer.

Widget

boputnam
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd submit the more musical sounding Bryston crossover removed this perceived emphasis and therefore less "correction" was necessary.That was exactly my point. Certainly borne-out by the reality of the exercise.

As for the DEQX... if you can build an all analog system that really works, I'd stay in the analog domain. That said, the DEQX and a few other top digital devices can be real problem solvers. I don't think they are quite the equal of SOTA analog yet, but their day is getting closer and closer.DEQX is an amazing unit. I enjoyed working with Rich's - even easy without the manual (DEQX has so far refused to send me a manual simply for study...). I'd also like to hear the KT Helix DN9848 (http://www.klarkteknik.com/dn9848e.html) - I use one in my large SR rack, and really like it. Powerful stuff. I have not tried it in a home / studio listening environment.

scott fitlin
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm using a pair of Bryston 10b,s. They drive the amps for the TAD woofers, and TAD 4002 compression drivers.

The clarity, spatial detail, and depth is pretty much some of the best I've heard. Compression drivers are so smooth, so detailed, yet, need obnly a minimal amount of EQ, matter of fact, the Bryston 10B Mc-2125 TAD 4002 is about the most most minimal EQ use I have ever had to do in my room.

DSP gets better by the day, but, ANALOG is still the best to my ears. BRYSTON IS THAT GOOD!

Ken Pachkowsky
02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm using a pair of Bryston 10b,s. They drive the amps for the TAD woofers, and TAD 4002 compression drivers.

The clarity, spatial detail, and depth is pretty much some of the best I've heard.

Yep, have only been told how sweet they sound. I never had the pleasure of hearing the Bryston.

Nice to see you Scotty......hope all is well?

Was in your neck of the woods a few months ago but was pressed for time. I surely did think about taking a couple of hours to check out your establishement but.......alas....could not get away.

Ken

scott fitlin
02-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Yep, have only been told how sweet they sound. I never had the pleasure of hearing the Bryston.

Nice to see you Scotty......hope all is well?

Was in your neck of the woods a few months ago but was pressed for time. I surely did think about taking a couple of hours to check out your establishement but.......alas....could not get away.

KenThanks Ken, NICE to see u too. WISH you could have seen the place.

In addition to winter mechanics, and body repainting this year, I have pretty much COMPLETELY overhauled the rooms system. ALL my old electronics, amps and MOST old drivers are out, NEW amps, NEW front end, NEW 15,s comp drivers w/ new horns on the way, maybe even treat myself to something special for VHF.

We voiced the system to sound proper for CD and download playback. IMO, what worked for vinyl, doesn't always work for CD,s etc. So, one day, piece by piece, the old stuff started coming out, and playing CD,s and downloads began dramatically improving.

Using the TAD woofers, and now that I have no more aluminum dustcaps on the woofers, NO RINGING! Then, listening to my JBL 2441, changed amp from Crown D-150 to Bryston 3B, to McIntosh 2125. The MAC was OMG! Then, I dunno, I put some TAD 4002,s up, on the lenses, JEEZ, THIS was what I heard when TAD demoed them 8 years ago when I first heard them. So, Bryston 10B,s, MC-2125, TAD 4002,s, = SEXY SMOOTH, SUPER CLEAR SOUND! I'm even replacing the 2395 lens horns with a more modern design.

What I can say for sure, is playing certain WELL RECORDED Jazz and Classical CD,s seems to be surpassing vinyl playback now, IMO.

I am finding the Bryston gear very outstanding indeed.

Guys if your in the neighborhood, COME BY, I would love to meet you , and show the system off.

Ian Mackenzie
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Based on recommendations from Bo and others I decided to try a CP-10. I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP=10 beats it in terms of phase shift. I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. At some point I will send it off to Meyer to insure it is calibrated properly, but all pots are dead quiet and it functions flawlessly. I will have to get an RTA to set it up properly but for now I am having fun playing with it. Again thanks for the recommendation it was money well spent.

AL

Hi Krunchy,

We will have to compare notes.

I was lucky enough to win a bid for a near perfect Myer CP-10 and have it delivered with the assistance of anther forum member recently.:)

edit: Yep it seems to have the goods. Worth having even to sort the bass out. It will be while before I have an opportunity to mess properly with it.

Mint condition other than some TLC on the rack ears and some of the push buttons are noisy but it appears fully operational. Had a peek inside. One of the best bits of audio engineering I have seen.

Special thanks to Ducatista47 (Clark) for delivery to the other side of the world.

iMac

Krunchy
03-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Congratulations Ian! :applaud: Glad to hear that you obtained one of these units, I know you'll be very very happy with its performance. I look forward too comparing notes as well :D
I have to get some sort of measuring device otherwise I'll just be bumping around in the dark.

Enjoy!

Ian Mackenzie
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I was up late twirling them knobs...a good sign.

Very intesting.

So I can figure what gives with it in the signal path a switched back to full passive (4345 network).

What its allowed me to do is sit in a preferred location overall (further back) by treating a 43 hertz room mode and the bump around 100 hertz.

Aside from a more realistic bass presentation there is an apparent increase in depth through the midange. I am only using (2) filters at this point.

As to the actual settings its quite sensitive in the bass region and I am still working on it but has really improved the bass defination. There is probably a case for installing some bass traps as well at this stage.

I changed out the compression drivers last night and installed the 2435be acquaplas. (I am quite pleased with them :))

No obvious loss in signal quality with those in either.

Its been good acquistion on both counts and dont think I have heard it running better.

Will post pic a some stage.

iMac

Krunchy
03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds very promising Ian, glad to hear you are having a good time with it.
I am waiting on a couple of XLR cables and will hook it up to the Ashly and see how it sounds. Will probably make second set of XLR's to go along with the 5235 X-over. Right now the adcoms with the 4345's can sound a bit too bright/shrill with the bass not too well defined at times. Some music sounds great but not all.
I have a long way to go in getting them fine tuned, but when they get there....Man thats gonna be incredible. When I set it up with the 4313B's it really brought them to life, I look forwar to seeing how it will mesh with the 4345's.

Tis all good!

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2008, 04:33 AM
Here it is.

The knobs are in no particular postion here, as is on removal from the box.

Krunchy
03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Lots of talk on Steely Dan here on the forum, was just looking at the liner notes of their everything must go cd (2003) and there it is under....Technical Support: Meyer Sound, Opcode, DigiDesign, Mesa/Boogie etc.

Cant get a better endorsement then these guys if you tried :) pretty neat.

Enjoy!

Mr. Widget
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Lots of talk on Steely Dan here on the forum, was just looking at the liner notes of their everything must go cd (2003) and there it is under....Technical Support: Meyer Sound, Opcode, DigiDesign, Mesa/Boogie etc.

Cant get a better endorsement then these guys if you tried :) pretty neat.

Enjoy!Yeah and on the Katy Lied remastered CD they discuss taking a pair of "Double" Magneplanar speakers and Audio Research D-76 tube amps to the studio because obviously ABC/Dunhill studio's Altec or JBL monitors just didn't do it for them. :D

On the other hand we have Pete Townsend and The Who with their stacked 4350s... I still like The Who, but for recording quality, the Maggies win. I mean Steely Dan. :rotfl:

Widget

Krunchy
03-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Yeah and on the Katy Lied remastered CD they discuss taking a pair of "Double" Magneplanar speakers and Audio Research D-76 tube amps to the studio because obviously ABC/Dunhill studio's Altec or JBL monitors just didn't do it for them. :D Widget :rotfl: :rotfl:Classic!

Big Pete & who fan, unfortunately their material doesnt all seem to be that well recorded. I'll keep an eye out for a picture with that set up.

Fred Sanford
03-11-2008, 05:36 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl:Classic!

Big Pete & who fan, unfortunately their material doesnt all seem to be that well recorded. I'll keep an eye out for a picture with that set up.

:applaud:

Krunchy
03-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Fantastic!!! Thank you je :applaud: Great Ad. Have Pete's 4311's come up on ebay yet, should fetch some nice quid :D

scott fitlin
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:Classic!

Big Pete & who fan, unfortunately their material doesnt all seem to be that well recorded. I'll keep an eye out for a picture with that set up.We been listening to " Eminence Front " on my system, seems pretty well recorded to me.

Krunchy
03-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Hello Scotty!
I was referring to a couple of bootlegs I have :D very poor.
Face Dances & Its Hard were always very much underrated IMO. There is very little material that pete has done that I dislike (pinball gizard is the exception for me) w/the who or solo, that man is a genius period.

Could talk Pete/who indefinitely ;).

richluvsound
03-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Krunchy,

great intro,but after that I agree with you about pinball Wizard. "Behind Blue Eyes" Pete can play thats for sure ! I don't find the recordings all that bad considering the age.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
03-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Here are a few images of the interior of my Meyer CP-10.

I had to swap some of filters boards around on the B channel as the bands were out of order with the front panel ranges. I suspect it has been this way for a while following a service.

As I found out it is very easy to mix up the filters and matters not if you are familiar with the unit are are using a analyser in a permanent installation.

The construction is one of precision and has some nice touches. The filter boards can be removed by simply removing the 4 Philips head screws and they pull straight out. Saves having to pull it out of a rack.

The controls appear all conductive plastic and are very quiet in operation. The passive components are of high quality and precision. The power supply is heavily shielded from the active filters by steel plates. The chips appear to be selected grades if ne5532ne and are soldered into a through hole double sides pcbs. All the boards are carefully marked with S/N , batch codes and versions no 1-5.

All this suggests John Meyer takes great pride in what comes out of his factory. No wonder Meyer are are so highly regarded.

Ian Mackenzie
03-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Here are my current settings. Until I have some spare time to this will have to do.

You can see I have some modest cut at centred at 40 and about 120 hertz to account for a room mode and room gain.

Slight boost at about 250 hz to account for a room mode at the listening position and a narrow boost at 1.7K and a narrow cut at 12K.

Switching out the filters makes a very noticable difference. The recording having more definition and focus with the filters switched in. No doubt over time I will continue to modify the settings.

merlin
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Greetings gents.

Just a quick note to say if any of you professionals come across one of these units going for a song, I'd rather like to have a play with one in my system. Finders fee of course to be discussed but we make some fine whiskies over here :)

Ian Mackenzie
06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up I am selling my Meyer CP-10 (see adverting market place).

The reality I just have too many toys and not enough time for audio these days so I am sadly rationalising and space as you can imagine is at a premium in the Tardis.

This is a wonderful equaliser and I hope it will find its way to a good home.

I have however incorporated a couple of similar discrete filters into my own diy analogue active crossover which was where the CP-10 was most useful

Ian