PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

richluvsound
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
folks

I'm looking for an amp to bi-amp my 4345's and this came up AMCRON DC300 superb power amp (Bryston quality) I know its a pro amp but from what era ?

TIA
Rich

1audiohack
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Crown introduced it in 1967 as the DC300. They sold them under the Amcron name when exported to some countries.

Look on Crownaudio.com there is some news on this amp as they celebrate 60 years.

AETechron is now the authorized service center for them so no worries on repairs or parts.:)

BMWCCA
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I never saw a DC300 with the Amcron label until the DC-300A Series-II, but that doesn't mean they didn't make them. But the later the version the better. If it has input-output comparator lights and circuitry it's the later DC-300A version. If it's black, then it's the Series-II, the latest one. The three versions in chronological order are DC-300, DC-300A, and DC-300A Series II. The D-series was so popular here and the demand for them so great, Crown continued the 300 even after replacing the series with the PS series which had several improvements and a slight increase in price. DC300s go anywhere from $100 to $400 here, depending on condition. I have no idea what they sell for in Great Britain. To download a spec sheet, repair manual, or schematic on all the different DC300 models, go here:http://crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

A PS-400 would be a more modern version with slightly more power and some protection advantages. They usually sell for about the same as a DC-300. Is 150-watts per channel all you're looking for?

schloerch
12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
folks

I'm looking for an amp to bi-amp my 4345's and this came up AMCRON DC300 superb power amp (Bryston quality) I know its a pro amp but from what era ?

TIA
Rich
Hey Rich:
you should really consider trying a tube power amp on the mids and high frequencies and a class A power amp on the low end; actually these have been my very best experiences with the 4345's and also with the 4350's. There is no real reason using 200W or more power amps in the living room or studio-absolutely not necessary because our monitors are so efficient.:blink:

richluvsound
12-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Hey Rich:
you should really consider trying a tube power amp on the mids and high frequencies and a class A power amp on the low end; actually these have been my very best experiences with the 4345's and also with the 4350's. There is no real reason using 200W or more power amps in the living room or studio-absolutely not necessary because our monitors are so efficient.:blink:

thanks Guy's,

the amcro is £ 500 ,too much money. I could bring one in from the states for less.

There are many options at the moment .

A Krell KSA 100 Class a seems a good idea for the high end, and SAC'c for the lows.

Rich:blink:

greyhound
12-13-2007, 07:13 AM
the crown is a great amp. you shouldnt have to pay more than 250,- for it.
im my humble opinion its just as good as a Krell. but with krell you'll pay more than 500,-;)

my exprience is that valves and mosfets can sound exactly the same.
if the design is good they will be very hard to recognize in a blind test.however if the design is "myfi"there is a world of difference.
trannies cost less.
but nothing will beat the looks of a nice valve amp