PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Horns?

BigT
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I bought a pair of JBL 2382a horns a while ago really cheap. They were cheap because both horns had cracks. One has a small crack on a long side between bolt holes and the other had a larger crack about 4" long starting from a bolt hole. This crack had been filled with epoxy and seems to be strong, but I haven't mounted it yet to really know.

At the price I paid ($49) I figured that even if only one horn was usable, that would be ok. What I need to know is if these cracks are likely to spread no matter what sort of repair is done? Is there a mounting method - perhaps fitting thin metal around the rim - that would prevent these cracks from spreading? Or ought I to be looking for replacements?

Thanks!

crtstudios76
12-11-2007, 11:21 PM
If the cracks are not in the horn where the change in surface can mess with the sound you ought to be ok. If the cracks are just near the mounting holes, I'd just make sure they are epoxyed, and maybe install a support stud across the inside of the cab that the driver can rest on, taking most of the pressure off of the horn. That's my two cents worth!

grumpy
12-12-2007, 08:12 AM
If you support the compression driver (as was already suggested) and don't move the cabinets around much,
you should be fine (home use). -grumpy