PDA

View Full Version : 250ti question..

WarEagle
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I own a pair of l100t3's, l80t3's and 250ti's. I bought the 250ti used. I am the original owner of the l100t3 and love them to death. I bought the 250ti about 2 years ago. The 250ti have never knocked me over like the l100t3. Something about the upper midrange and and the highs that seem to disappoint me compared to the l100t3. Shouldn't the 250ti sound superior? What can I do to improve my listening experience with the 250ti?

After reading some on the internet I was worried I had gotten the L250. I checked, nope, it is the 250ti. Currently the speakers are in my living, hard wood floor, about 8 ft apart and I listen from a couch that is about 8 ft away from each speaker.

I haven't messed with the bus bars on the back yet. I think I'll knock down the midrange a little. Oh, the speakers are connected to a Sansui g9700.

Things I have considered.

1. I'm too close.

2. CD player is a cheapo.

3. The network inside was swapped out by previous owner (I haven't checked, but I don't think he did).

4. I don't really know what good stereo sounds like.

Well I am a stereo noob and this is my first post. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Guido
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
3. The network inside was swapped out by previous owner (I haven't checked, but I don't think he did).

Welcome Eagle

could you please precise this point?

mike
12-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I think that the 250Ti can sometimes sound unimpressive because it has such a flat response and laid back character. The other JBL's you own probably intentionally have a more forward character, which in a lot of instances is more enjoyable to many.

The other thing to consider is that the 250Ti will be more revealing of the rest of the system than your other speakers are. I'm not a big proponent of expensive cables and super high end electronics but the sound of 250Ti's will change quite a bit with different electronics and to an extent with different interconnects and speaker cables. I've heard my 250Ti's sound not very good on one amplifier and sound excellent on another amplifier. The same two amplifiers would probably not sound too noticeably different from each other on my L96's.

I think that if you experiment a little you might find that you can make them sound more to your liking.

Mike

WarEagle
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I appreciate the responses. As far as network, I mean the crossovers or guts inside the speaker. Like I said, I'm a noob.

I have thought about connecting my yamaha cr-2040 to the 250ti but haven't done so.

As far as cables, I've read about silver interconnects but haven't tried any yet. I did buy some monster interconnects but they didn't seem to make a difference. So would you suggest I invest in some silver interconnects and what would be a good brand?

As long as I'm posting about jbl's, my current set up is the l100t3 in the bedroom for music, the 250ti in the living room, in the den I have l80t3 as rear speakers, l200t3 as front speakers, center channel is sc 305 and some other jbl's in the basement which I can't remember the model number. Also I'm playing cds through a yamaha c-750.

LIke I said, I appreciate everyone's responses.

Jakob
12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi and welcome to the best forum in the world!

I agree totally with mike's post. If You have the early 250ti version with adjustable midbass, mid and tweeter, I would recommend to experiment a bit with the bars. For now I have my midbass down one bar, mid 2 bars and tweeter 3 bars.

And as for electronics, remember that these speakers are "almost-vintage" high end stuff. Maybe they are the strongest link in your sound chain ( I don't know what electronics You use) and reveals that you need to upgrade your amp or CD-player?

BR: Jakob

JBLnsince1959
12-10-2007, 06:09 PM
So would you suggest I invest in some silver interconnects and what would be a good brand?

No..... ( but PSS is the best for the price on silver)

You're going to have to find out what the "Problem" is first..just throwing money at it won't help...."Measure twice, cut once"....

first thing I would do is to put all the equipment ( l100t3 and sources) in the same room as the 250's and do a A/B test with the same amps and sources on both the 250 and l100t3 to see what's really happening.

there are too many variables here ( room, electronics, wires ) to make a "quick" conclusion, work out the problem first....

(also, silver is great for upper mids and highs and can suck with mids to lows)

AdamimAdam
12-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I know what your sayin.

Ive just begun my second year with these JBL 250ti classics. I have received two posts of advice/comment from seasoned members that held true to the ith degree.

These speakers do not turn any o'l music into fireworks.
Hence perhaps only 1 in 6 cd's will only be super duper.

My Hafler 500 Amp does not provide enough current for these speakers,
but I still like it.

In summary.
When I do happen upon the right music/volume/warmup time I get the magic.
I recently heard a Madona song reaching behind me off a cable TV music channel when both speakers were in front of me. No lie.

I have "heard" the light with these speakers enough times to realize they have the capacity to truly shine on a more regular basis if given the right stuff.
Im moving up to a Nad 208 Amp this holiday. I HOPE!!!

DavidF
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I own a pair of l100t3's, l80t3's and 250ti's. I bought the 250ti used. I am the original owner of the l100t3 and love them to death. I bought the 250ti about 2 years ago. The 250ti have never knocked me over like the l100t3. Something about the upper midrange and and the highs that seem to disappoint me compared to the l100t3. Shouldn't the 250ti sound superior? What can I do to improve my listening experience with the 250ti?

After reading some on the internet I was worried I had gotten the L250. I checked, nope, it is the 250ti. Currently the speakers are in my living, hard wood floor, about 8 ft apart and I listen from a couch that is about 8 ft away from each speaker.

I haven't messed with the bus bars on the back yet. I think I'll knock down the midrange a little. Oh, the speakers are connected to a Sansui g9700.

Things I have considered.

1. I'm too close.

2. CD player is a cheapo.

4. I don't really know what good stereo sounds like.

Well I am a stereo noob and this is my first post. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Too close could be a problem. You may be sitting under the high/ultra optimum dispersion pattern. Tell us where the speakers are in relation to the surrounding walls. Corners, or even close to corners, are not so good. Too much close-in boundary support could give too much emphasis in the bass/lower mid range. This could unbalance the overall spectrum and make it seem as though the highs are withdrawn or muted. These systems do like room to breath.

DavidF

JBLnsince1959
12-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Too close could be a problem. You may be sitting under the high/ultra optimum dispersion pattern. Tell us where the speakers are in relation to the surrounding walls. Corners, or even close to corners, are not so good. Too much close-in boundary support could give too much emphasis in the bass/lower mid range. This could unbalance the overall spectrum and make it seem as though the highs are withdrawn or muted. These systems do like room to breath.

DavidF

exactly!!!!!:applaud:

WarEagle
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
thanks for the responses. I have to admit, when I stand up it did seem like the speakers sounded better. I believe they are about 1.5 feet from the rear wall and have about a 3 foot clearance on both sides.

Of the three busbars that you can adjust (ultra high frequency, high frequency and midrange(?)) I dropped the midrange down one setting and that seemed to help.

So, how far away from the speakers should I be? How far from the back wall?

Once again, thanks everyone for the help.

brutal
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
A few good resources and reads.

By your measurements, the back wall is 18' across? They're too close to the back wall for sure. We all know how difficult it is to find the room to pull them out and away if needed. Everything else, distance apart, listening position, sounds close. Have you toe'd them in a little?

http://www.higherfi.com/softwar2.htm

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/speaker.html#INTRO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=822273