PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this Crown?

Skywave-Rider
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Is this a good amp, or will it amplify DC and smoke my voice coils? I'm looking for a good power amp which will be used for my Altec 9844-8b speakers for general listening and maybe my EV Sentrys for some studio monitoring.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=260190019719&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

I would consider a new QSC, but there are so many model lines, though the "budget" lines are what I'd look at.

Thanks!

lgvenable
12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I bought a PS 400 to drive my subwoofer. Outstanding specs, it does 660W bridged or 550WPC at 0.05 THD bridged. Great amp and great specs. My fleaBay PS 400 is extremely quiet and did not blow up any of the speakers I tested it on. In fact they sounded outstanding, loud; but outstanding.
You'll love it.
Larry

manual ->> http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

BMWCCA
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
The PS-200 is a nice amp, never causing any trouble. I have two of them.

The PS series is an update to the D-series and adds turn-on delay and DC/LF protection They are rated on their spec sheets at 100-watts-per-channel at 8-ohms, if that's enough for you. If space, weight, and money are no objects, the PS-400 is twice the power with no more noise than the quiet PS-200, but there's nothing wrong with the 200. (I paid $103 for a PS-400 last week, my second, but that's a bit unusual.). Price is probably low for the one you're watching since the seller made the mistake of selling two at once in different auctions. That's a definite no-no if you're trying to get the most money out of your sale. As a data-point, I paid $112 for a PS-200 and $145 for a PS-200 still in the box just returned from Crown with full service and checkout repair complete with receipt and MOD/X adapter. The bill from Crown was over 50% more than I paid for the whole amp! (They said they replaced a "faulty IC in control circuitry, tightened power-supply filter capacitors...replaced stereo/mono switch that felt too 'loose', updated the Control module..." and ran a "...full and complete bench test, re-calibrating it as needed, and burn-in. The amplifier passed all tests.") Four parts total. Included Crown Proof of Performance Report after repair tested at "full output" and THD run at 90W @8 ohms.

The version you're looking at is the charcoal earlier version with the little plate around the signal lamps. The MOD-X input module is a nice piece, too. I've paid as little as $5 for the modules or had them included as in your auction link. Be careful with it so the locating pin doesn't brake off. Hopefully you're close enough you won't have to rely on the seller to pack it properly of get the module off without breaking it. There should be as many as four plastic barbs holding the module to the amp but if you wiggle it to remove it you'll likely break the locating pin. I can send pics to show you what it looks like from behind if you want to remove it.

They're great amps, sound very "musical" to me, and Crown will back them up with excellent service for the foreseeable future. In almost 35 years I've had to send back one D-150A for a hum, and had another D150A-Series II (from ebay) repaired for free (one transistor) by a Crown authorized repair station courtesy of a friend.

Go for it! Buy both of 'em! Good luck!

just4kinks
12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I also have a PS-200 and a PS-400. They are great amps!

However... I would bench test ANY used amp before hooking it up to my speakers. But overall these are reliable and you shouldn't have a problem.

allen mueller
12-12-2007, 04:59 AM
I've got a PS200 and PS400 paid $100 each to get mine. Very good amp, and the go for very little used.

Allen

BMWCCA
12-12-2007, 06:45 AM
The two PS-200s this seller listed each went for over $170, or about $200 including shipping. Shows a pretty stable price for this model if you toss out the high and low anomalies. Pretty pictures help on Ebay. The hard Crown to buy cheap remains the D75A. Apparently size matters to some and smaller is better.

Skywave-Rider
12-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks, guys. I can't seem to find any that are going in the c-note range, and I did lose those auctions. But looking at a couple more, so we'll see what happens. Don't want to get my hopes up:)

BMWCCA
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Their are a couple more languishing around $100. And there always seem to be one or two available. If it's any consolation (or if you needed a rationalization to spend more...) I'd never sell mine for less than $200! :thmbsup:

I was a Crown fan for decades but it was a departed list member, Tom Loizeaux, who inspired me to acquire more. In his memory, this photo he sent me a while back shows his dedication to these amps.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/PileofCrownampscopy.jpg

scott fitlin
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Yep those older Crowns and Altecs work nicely. For sure, you should love the bass Altec and Crown make. IMO, nothing else makes bass quite like a Crown, theres just something about them.

BMWCCA
12-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Skywave-Rider: The PS-200 you're bidding on at least has cheap freight! i was looking at it, too, since it's so close to me, but I'll let you fight the fight. Just in case you don't succeed, at this price level and output you might want to consider the Urei amp in this post: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19278

I think Heather, among others, is familiar with that series.

Good luck.

hjames
12-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Skywave-Rider: The PS-200 you're bidding on at least has cheap freight! i was looking at it, too, since it's so close to me, but I'll let you fight the fight. Just in case you don't succeed, at this price level and output you might want to consider the Urei amp in this post: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19278

I think Heather, among others, is familiar with that series.

Good luck.

Thanks, but Subwoof is the ultimate insider here for the JBL/Urei amps ... aligning and repairing them is one of his many specialties!

I like mine, plays quite well and the prices have been reasonable ...
I have a 6260 running the woofers on my biamped 4 ways, and a 6230 running the upper 3 drivers.

Funny enough, it was that same departed list member, Tom Loizeaux, who encourage me to acquire JBL/Urei amps! Seems Tom influenced a lot of us ...

BMWCCA
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Skywave-Rider scores! The other bidder made you pay up but the low shipping cost on that one makes up for it. Looks like it was gently used surplus. A little Goo-Gone and that sticker will be history. If you decide you need rack handles for it, I believe I have all of Crown's inventory of that item! ;)

Let us know what you think when you get it and don't be afraid to request the seller do a decent job of packing for shipment. No bubble-wrap inside a flimsy box. Bagged in plastic with cut-to-fit foam, or foamed-in-place the way Crown does it, and then heavy box or double box is the only way. Subwoof knows how to do it better than anyone!

Enjoy!

Skywave-Rider
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
YES! Hhahaha. Thanks, guys.

The price all tolled went for about the same as the first two I tried for. So remarkably consistent. I hope it arrives OK. I mentioned what you suggested in my paypal remark, maybe I'll send an email too....

Anyway, looking forward to it.

BMWCCA, you might hear from me re those handles -- glad to know you! :)

I'll let you know if it arrives alive.
Thanks again to all.

BMWCCA
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Very curious! Why does the PS-200 in this craigslist ad look just like the one Skywave-Rider bought on Ebay? http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/507266492.html

This one below from Craig's List: This one belowfrom the Ebay auction:

http://images.craigslist.org/010112010203010310200712121a3f2417267b1a0a7f00702d .jpg http://i4.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/ca/4c/94c9_2.JPG

Someone in Austin check it out for us, please?

Skywave-Rider
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh man. Well, I'm hoping that the Craig's Lister copied the photo from ebay; who is apparently a legit seller, from all the feedback. Hmmm...I got a tracking number, and some bricks totaling 35lbs are hurtling my way. I'll let you know in about 5 days......:(

Skywave-Rider
12-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Got the amp, tested yesterday, works!
Dirty input connectors, apparently, got to clean them.

Can the 1/4" inputs on these amps be used bal/unbal? I would at times use unbal 1/4" tip/sleve, other times bal 1/4" trs.

Hope to really test it today.

Thanks guys.

doodlebug
12-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Congrats on getting the amp in time for Christmas. As to the question of balanced/unbalanced inputs, the data sheet (http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k1072-6.pdf)indicates that the 1/4" inputs are unbalanced but that an optional balanced adapter was originally available in both active and passive versions.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

David

scott fitlin
01-04-2008, 04:37 AM
The manual for the PS-200 says electronic balanced modules are needed for balanced inputs, you need either the PS-MODX, or the PS-MODA balanced input modules. The PS-MODX is a transformer balanced module, the PS-MODA active electronic balanced.

Ill see if I can locate something for you, if your interested.

Skywave-Rider
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Scott!
I would be interested in the transformer bal version as I like that sound and should be better for ground loop immunity.
Amp seems to work great.
Just got some nice fat 12ga Carol wire for it. Awesome and industrial! Cable says "Made in the USA" on it too. :D

Krunchy
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
The hard Crown to buy cheap remains the D75A. Apparently size matters to some and smaller is better.

Here's one for you, seems pretty cheap!?? at least in the same ballpark as the ps 200. How does this unit work (excuse my ignorance), I do not see any inputs as in the ps models? Can the ps units be used on regular speakers or are they geared towards a bi-amped system.
Aslo, what is considered a fair price on the 400 units.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250202965193&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

scott fitlin
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Here's one for you, seems pretty cheap!?? at least in the same ballpark as the ps 200. How does this unit work (excuse my ignorance), I do not see any inputs as in the ps models? Can the ps units be used on regular speakers or are they geared towards a bi-amped system.
Aslo, what is considered a fair price on the 400 units.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250202965193&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015Basically, the PS SERIES, and Crowns attempt at the consumer market the POWER LINE SERIES ARE enhanced versions of the D SERIES AMPLIFIERS. Both the Power line 3, and PS-200 are one in the same, silver face on power lines, with RCA inputs. PS series black face, balanced input options. Same amp

The Crown amps will drive anything, and as long as its enough power for you, your fine, but, in pro use, the PS-200 was used for mid horns, with its 1.2v input sensitivity, and compression drivers not needing high power!

Krunchy
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank You Scott! How are the crowds in your neck of the Boardwalk? Enjoying this balmy weather I hope :)

scott fitlin
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Having bumper car bodies repainted, scheduled mechanical overhaul, new lighting, sound work. Sound will be KILLER this year. Alot of work!
:)

johnaec
01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
So Scotty - 'ever get that digital camera? ;) :p We wanna' see pics of that system! :applaud:

John

BMWCCA
01-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Both the Power line 3, and PS-200 are one in the same, silver face on power lines, with RCA inputs. PS series black face, balanced input options. Same ampI don't believe the Power Line Three or Four have the connector for the balanced-input adapters. Never owned one, but that's my recollection. I'm also assuming, from looking at the back of the Straight Line pre-amps they were compatible with, that they may not have grounded (three-wire) power cords, either. The Power Lines' were available in not only silver but also the black and the charcoal finishes of the two different vintages of PS amps. Just for the record.

BMWCCA
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
The hard Crown to buy cheap remains the D75A. Apparently size matters to some and smaller is better.Well, I paid exactly what I paid for my last perfect PS-400 but I got a nice D75A for a couple-of-bucks over a C-note. It arrived today sticking out of the side of its box, wrapped in nothing but a sea of Styrofoam peanuts. (This is why I don't own a gun.) Luckily the rack ears were fine and the sheetmetal case was easily straightened. Had a hard time finding wires with bare ends and had to strip the Pomona plugs from a set of cables to hook the darn thing up. I haven't played with one in over 35 years. It's a sweet little amp I just couldn't pass up.

When I was contemplating my first Crown purchase back in St. Louis in the early '70s to replace the Fisher SA1000 on my JBL 030s, the folks at High Fidelity Showroom told me to take home the D75, D150, and DC300 and try them out. Goldilocks story: I loved the D75, then liked the D150 better, and swooned over the DC300 but decided money was more important than power and bought the D150. Still working like a champ in the bedroom connected to the L112s since they were new nearly 30-years ago. Still hooked to the same Mac C20 I bought when I was in high-school, too.

The D75A is currently playing Al Di Meola's "Kiss My Axe" on the converted L80T/3s. Sounding great, just a bit brighter than the PS-400 they're used to, and more so than the newest PS-200 I've been testing recently. Probably more the lack of LF rather than overly-bright HF. Nice though. Don't really have a use for it but it'll make a great small system with a pair of L20Ts for one of my daughters, I'm sure. Nice and compact.

Does such a thing as a female banana plug exist that I could permanently wire to the barrier-strip speaker outputs on this thing? I've never found any. I miss the ease of dual-banana speaker-cable connectivity.

Nothing like responding to my own post to dredge up an old thread...

SEAWOLF97
07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Does such a thing as a female banana plug exist that I could permanently wire to the barrier-strip speaker outputs on this thing? I've never found any. I miss the ease of dual-banana speaker-cable connectivity.

Saw some Yamaha speakers with the old Marantz style spring loaded connectors...owner had inserted 5 way posts into the spring load hole, giving banana connectability.

BMWCCA
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Saw some Yamaha speakers with the old Marantz style spring loaded connectors...owner had inserted 5 way posts into the spring load hole, giving banana connectability.Not a lot of room for that on the D75A. I was thinking more of some banana jacks with short wires and spade connectors at the barrier strip.

...or maybe these?

lans3r
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
there's something that's comparable to the crown amps which is amp from Spyn Audio. have you heard of them?
check em out.

Lee in Montreal
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
there's something that's comparable to the crown amps which is amp from Spyn Audio. have you heard of them?
check em out.

And it's you first post? SPAM? :eek:

Or let us know how similar to Crown they are. ;) How many models do they carry? Do you have any specs?