PDA

View Full Version : L-166 resto

GTekie
12-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi Folks
I've started to refoam and the old adhesive is hard to get off. Part of this seems to be that my house is too cold (68 F).
Using a hair dryer softens it up nicely but its a black adhesive on a white cone and I don't want to damage it.
My question is how much of the old adhesive needs to be removed ?

brutal
12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Some say that rubbing the cone edge between your fingers to "roll" off the old foam works. I'm going to give that a try that on my 122a-1 before resorting to MEK when I get around to it. I think a lot depends on how dry the old foam is.

I'm apparently more of the anal type as when I did some 128H for the L112, I used a Q-tip soaked in MEK to help dissolve the old foam before using an exacto to scrape off the foam and glue residue. Just be careful not to use too much MEK that it soaks through as it could stain the visible side of the cone.

trueview
12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I did some of these a year ago and did not worry too much about the gummy residue... they glued up beautifuly.

Allanvh5150
12-08-2007, 12:34 PM
As Brutal says,rubbing the edge of the cone between your finger works most of the time. This is the method that I use. Dont be too concerned about the remaining glue that is left on the cone.

GTekie
12-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I did some of these a year ago and did not worry too much about the gummy residue... they glued up beautifuly.
Thanks loads there, that kind of advise is worth its weight in JBLs.
I did a test fit of the surrounds that Newfoam sent but won't do any glueing until I compare them with the ones I ordered from Florida.
The fit is snug as shown.