PDA

View Full Version : gigrac output query

henapen
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi

I'm trying to link up my gigrac to my jbls but having some problems with the linking on the speakers - does anyone know if I am likely to damage the amp by putting two 8ohm speakers out of the same channel by using the jack output for one and the speakon for the other?

sorry to be such a novice :o:

hen

SMKSoundPro
12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to Gigrac page explaining your question.
http://www.gigrac.com/gigfacts/pluggingout.html

Two 8 ohm speakers jumpered from one to another is a 4 ohm load. Your gigrac will be fine with that.
http://www.gigrac.com/gigfacts/pluggingout.html

Good luck.

Scott.

boputnam
12-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Your gigrac will be fine with that.Yes, Scotty's got it, provided you are using either the "amp 1" or "amp 2" outputs (see attachment).

The gigrac also has a "Main" out TRS jack which is post EQ and post main fader (gain) but is before the internal amp(s). For your set-up, you would not be using this. Use this if you ever want to run through an external amp.

henapen
05-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Yes, Scotty's got it, provided you are using either the "amp 1" or "amp 2" outputs (see attachment).

The gigrac also has a "Main" out TRS jack which is post EQ and post main fader (gain) but is before the internal amp(s). For your set-up, you would not be using this. Use this if you ever want to run through an external amp.

Thanks for your help with this question - I've used the gigrac successfully with 4 speakers now but I'm finding that it clips quite easily (probably down to the drain from the big JBL cabarets I'm using as subs) so I'm planning to use a xover with my bass amp to power the subs. I assume that by putting the xover between the main output on the front and the bass amp as a slave I will be able to split out the low frequency. However, I was wondering if there was a way of just getting the mid/high frequency into the satellites via the gigrac - or will I just have to have full range?

Cheers
hen

boputnam
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
...I've used the gigrac successfully with 4 speakers now but I'm finding that it clips quite easily (probably down to the drain from the big JBL cabarets I'm using as subs)...Which model Cabarets are you using?

...I'm planning to use a xover with my bass amp to power the subs. I assume that by putting the xover between the main output on the front and the bass amp as a slave I will be able to split out the low frequency.Uh, no - that would be the wrong signal path. Active crossovers are meant to be used (inserted into the signal path) BEFORE the amp, not after. Anything coming out that Gigrac Main Output is post the amp, so that would not work. As example, the Ashly's have an input impedance of 20kΩ.

...However, I was wondering if there was a way of just getting the mid/high frequency into the satellites via the gigrac - or will I just have to have full range?The Gigrac outputs are full range. Do not try to do this with the GEQ - it is not intended to be used as a HPF.

Frankly, I think it's time you grew up, and geared to your ability!! :scold:

:rotfl:

henapen
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Err confused! :o:

you say.....

Uh, no - that would be the wrong signal path. Active crossovers are meant to be used (inserted into the signal path) BEFORE the amp, not after. Anything coming out that Gigrac Main Output is post the amp, so that would not work. As example, the Ashly's have an input impedance of 20kΩ.

but previously you point out

I've probably missed something (being pretty slow on the uptake...) but can you just clarify that for me please? the main output is before the amp and can be sent to a slave via a xover?

thanks!
hen

boputnam
05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi, Hen...

Sorry - did not mean to abandon you! I lost track of this thread.

You are correct - I answered wrt the Speaker Outs. However the "Main" out is post EQ and post Fader, but PRE the internal amps. So, you could use this for an external crossover.

Excerpt from the manual...

henapen
06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi, Hen...
the "Main" out is post EQ and post Fader, but PRE the internal amps. So, you could use this for an external crossover.

thanks for the advice - I've done that and got the low frequency going through a slave amp OK but it's pretty hard to get a good balance of sound as the full range output from the gigrac still sends all the bass to the satellites - any thoughts on how to set this up to optimise the performance from the setup? - a couple of JRX112's, the big cabarets (4691B) + gigrac 600.

thanks for any ideas!

boputnam
06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi...

I think to get proper balance here, you are going to have to not use the powered outputs from the gigrac. Anotherwords, the powered outputs are full-range - there is no means I know of to HPF that, rolling-out the LF. You could use the on-board GEQ, but using these as a crossover or HPF is real amateur and results are poor.

I'm afraid, you are outgrowing the gigrac. As good as they are, they are a wonderful stepping stone to deeper waters. You are there... :)

henapen
06-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Hi...

I'm afraid, you are outgrowing the gigrac. As good as they are, they are a wonderful stepping stone to deeper waters. You are there... :)

yeah! about up to my neck :o:

thanks for the advice - I think we need to start looking into a new amp/mixer setup....