PDA

View Full Version : how to replace tweeters for JBL 250 jubilee

kalle303
12-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi guys
I'm totally lost when it comes to replace my damaged tweeters of my 250ti Jubilee. I tried to remove the plastic front bit it's totally impossible to remove it. I tried to warm it up a bit because I heard it could be stucked with double-glue tape or something. I can probably use some violence but then the plastic cap would get damaged.

Anyone having inputs on this? I'm desperate now :-)

Thanks
Martin

Robh3606
12-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Here a PDF of the cabinet. Also is what the raw tweeter looks like. ? There is an adhesive ring holding the tweeter faceplate on. Have you tried contacting JBL?

Rob:)

kalle303
12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Here a PDF of the cabinet. Also is what the raw tweeter looks like. ? There is an adhesive ring holding the tweeter faceplate on. Have you tried contacting JBL?

Thanks Rob for your input.

Yes, this is exactly how they look like. Mine are in gold too. I can only see the center part of mine because I haven't been able to remove the plastic ring yet which is adhesived and impossible to remove. And that's where I'm stucked.

greyhound
12-04-2007, 03:00 PM
plastic ring?
where

be carefull and contact your local jbl dealer. they will cost you a lot if you make a fatal error.

are you sure its plastic and not metal
mine have a ring also but its metal, gold coloured to hide the screws.
is this what you are talking about?

because i have them and im not using them
it will be cheap to send over. and youll only pay for the stamps

and a place for me to sleap when im in your country:D

kalle303
12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
plastic ring?
where

be carefull and contact your local jbl dealer. they will cost you a lot if you make a fatal error.

are you sure its plastic and not metal
mine have a ring also but its metal, gold coloured to hide the screws.
is this what you are talking about?

because i have them and im not using them
it will be cheap to send over. and youll only pay for the stamps

and a place for me to sleap when im in your country:D

You would be more than welcome to crash at my place :-)

I knew this would be hard to explain so I try to do it again :barf:
See attached picture as well.
My problem is that I can't access the gold metal thing where the screws are so I can remove the whole thing. You see where i point my finger, that plate is stucked. So what shall I do to remove it?

Robh3606
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh boy!!! You should really try to contact a JBL dealer. You could definately get it off but it could be in pieces when you are done. It would be good if you knew if they had replacement trim rings. You can easilly make coverplates for them from sheet metal stock but you really want the trim rings. Mine came with no rings so I made covers for mine. The part number is Item 29 on the list

Sorry can't give you more help.

greyhound
12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
oops that a little bit different than i had in mind.
its probably clipped into it. you know with plastic hooks.
maybe some duck tape and just pull. try it on only one side , first left or right and also up or down
whats broken anyway. why are you replacing them.

tweetersd cost 220 euro a piece trust me i know so be carefull.
again my advice woulsd be to contact a dealer.

Maybe guido (member) knows. he knows a lot about jbl drivers.

kalle303
12-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I managed to remove the shield and now I know what I need. I need two of these golden plate with the tweeter (membranes) (see picture) because they are broken. Anyone having an idea where to find? I spoke to my JBl dealer in Sweden and they could only sell a complete set with the magnet and all = more expensive.

So where can I find just these membranes?

Best
Martin

greyhound
12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
unfortunatly i can tell you that you will NOT!!! find these membranes.
im 100% sure of it.

ive tried it for more than a year.
if you want to solve this problem using membranes You can use the 050TI, 052TI, and maybe , maybe the 035TI.
but there all silvercoloured domes. re-doming them would be a realy difficult job.

sorry mate suck it up and buy the new tweeters. 500 euro:screwy:

for a nice (not mindblowingly good) tweeter.

id go for a 050TI for 120 euro's.(a pair, inc posting) exactly the same.
orange county speaker parts or something sells them and will send overseas. just google for a while

in my case they would fall out of place since my whole speaker is gold.:D

kalle303
12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
unfortunatly i can tell you that you will NOT!!! find these membranes.
im 100% sure of it.

ive tried it for more than a year.
if you want to solve this problem using membranes You can use the 050TI, 052TI, and maybe , maybe the 035TI.
but there all silvercoloured domes. re-doming them would be a realy difficult job.

sorry mate suck it up and buy the new tweeters. 500 euro:screwy:

for a nice (not mindblowingly good) tweeter.

id go for a 050TI for 120 euro's.(a pair, inc posting) exactly the same.
orange county speaker parts or something sells them and will send overseas. just google for a while

in my case they would fall out of place since my whole speaker is gold.:D

thanks for the input.
what strucks me is that on the back of the magnet it says 050TI. does this mean that they have the original tweeter or have they been replaced once with cheaper 050TI. or is 050TI the original ones? because you say those costs 120 a pair and new tweeter costs 500??
i get a it confused now :-)

Jakob
12-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Hej!

Tråkigt med dina diskanter. Mitt tips, om du inte redan har gjort det, är att höra med Olle eller Jonathan på LN högtalarservice i Göteborg. Dom är auktoriserade på JBL sen länge och är mycket duktiga! Dom kanske kan hjälpa dig.

Forum members: Sorry for the swedish, just made a recommendation about what company in Sweden to call to get help.

greyhound
12-11-2007, 02:18 AM
thanks for the input.
what strucks me is that on the back of the magnet it says 050TI. does this mean that they have the original tweeter or have they been replaced once with cheaper 050TI. or is 050TI the original ones? because you say those costs 120 a pair and new tweeter costs 500??
i get a it confused now :-)

ive come across normal 050TI tweeters for 120 dollar (105 euro)
they are the same (soundwise) as the 050gold tweeter that cost 500 dollar.
looking at your pic. I can see that you dont have the 050 gold tweeter in there but a 050Ti with a gold coloured membrane.:blah:

so if I were you. id try to buy the 050Ti to replace yor tweeters.
the membrane will be zilvercoloured but that will be the ONLY difference.
trust me on this

if you realy want to replace the tweeters with a gold coloured dome it will cost you a lot.
i'd only do that if your planning on selling them.