PDA

View Full Version : Need DIY Suggestion

tbcblues
12-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I have some really nice Wharfedale W70D cabinets that I'd like to use for an altec project. The internal volume of these are 2.5 cubic feet, and they're fairly shallow, only about 10" deep. I like bass you can feel, so any suggestions would be welcome. I've knocked out the front baffles, so I'm starting with a clean slate. Thanks

speakerdave
12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Is this a full-range speaker system or subwoofer?

What is your budget?

David

Earl K
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I have some really nice Wharfedale W70D cabinets that I'd like to use for an altec project.

- Run some alignment sims of different JBL & Altec woofers ( there's free software available online ) and you'll soon discover that Altec woofers typically have too high a "VAS" value to work well in that size cabinet .

- JBL woofers typically have heavier cones / & increased motor strength ( to move the heavier cones ) and ( as a consequence ) dramatically lower "VAS" values . They'll be your best choice / from the Lansing family .

- 2.5 cu ft works well enough for some JBL hif woofers ( like the 12", model 122a or the 128H series of older woofers that used 3" voice-coils ) .
- That size box can also shoe-horn in the 14", le14 varietal with decent enough results ( though 3.5 cu' is a better size ) .

:)

tbcblues
12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
would an 8" coaxial-type speaker work well? If so, would the baffle need to be ported/vented?

Mr. Widget
12-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I like bass you can feel...

would an 8" coaxial-type speaker work well? No. :D

Widget

57BELAIRE
12-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Get a pair of LE14's if you want that chest-thumping bass from a bookshelf sized enclosure.

Your boxes (sand-filled?) are the approx. size of S99's (24 x 14 x 12)
and the x-over cutout looks the right size for a LX4-1.

Even better, try a pair of LE14C composites with the built in LE20...
one less baffle hole to cut.

Then when you're ready to plot port size any number of forum members
can help you with that ;)

Zilch
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Get a pair of LE14's if you want that chest-thumping bass from a bookshelf sized enclosure.Yes. Mate with $10 PT waveguide and compression driver, BMS.

Even better, try a pair of LE14C composites with the built in LE20....Nope, they rather suck, actually....

Example LE14/PT waveguide project:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17408

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18168