View Full Version : diy MDF tractrix horns

audiovoice
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
how to make MDF tractrix horns, page 5 on my blog :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/page1/

Guido
12-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Very nice :applaud:

Please tell me, how exactly do you fix the driver to the horn?

audiovoice
12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
hi Guido

the driver is first fixed on the last plate,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/1262405753/

the holes for the driver are not made yet, on the picture.

than the last plate is screwed. you can see already the 3 hohles .

best it would be to make pictures. i will see if i can do that in the next view days.

Angelo

hallo Guido

am Hornhals besteht eine separate 3cm dicke mdf Scheibe, losgeloest vom horn. an dieser Scheibe werden die Loecher gebohrt, damit der Schraubenbolzen vom Treiber aus hindurchgeht. zuerst wird der Treiber so an die Scheibe befestigt, und nachher wird die Scheibe and das Horn befestigt. Hierzu siehst du auf dem foto die 3 Schrauben, ganz am rand, welche die Scheibe befestigen.

Woody Banks
12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
OUTSTANDING! :applaud:

Woody Banks
12-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Angelo

I checked your blog and spotted the construction photos on the speaker system. Wow! Very impressive. They are a true work of art! Outstanding work!:applaud:

Regards
Woody

audiovoice
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Angelo

I checked your blog and spotted the construction photos on the speaker system. Wow! Very impressive. They are a true work of art! Outstanding work!:applaud:

Regards
Woody

hello Woody

thanks for the compliments. i am working now on the design of a 4 way fully horn loaded system. I don't want to make 2 towers ( one mid treble, one bass ) , but all in one. So i am inserting the bass in the main cabinet, and make a backloaded folded horn, similar to Jensen imperial. See the draw on my blog.
Since my big wood lathe will be ready this week, the 88cm mid-bass horn should be ready soon. Might someone give me a idea of what bass driver best would work in such a horn.

Angelo

mbottz
12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Is there an easy way for us mathmatically challenged, to plot the Tractrix curve based on driver size?

mb

rs237
12-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Is there an easy way for us mathmatically challenged, to plot the Tractrix curve based on driver size?

mb

Hello mb,

yes you can here download

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

the tractrix horn calculator.

regards
juergen

Guido
12-17-2007, 01:09 AM
hallo Guido

am Hornhals besteht eine separate 3cm dicke mdf Scheibe, losgeloest vom horn. an dieser Scheibe werden die Loecher gebohrt, damit der Schraubenbolzen vom Treiber aus hindurchgeht. zuerst wird der Treiber so an die Scheibe befestigt, und nachher wird die Scheibe and das Horn befestigt. Hierzu siehst du auf dem foto die 3 Schrauben, ganz am rand, welche die Scheibe befestigen.

Cool,

are you german?

Mr. Widget
12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Very nice designs and execution.

What drivers are you using?

Widget

PS: I grabbed a couple of images from your flickr postings so that we would have them here.

edgewound
12-17-2007, 01:42 PM
What drivers are you using?

Widget

Radian 950's...

Yes....beautiful horns, indeed.

audiovoice
12-20-2007, 03:17 AM
hello Guido

i am swiss .
this week i got a big wood lathe ready, and i can turn MDF horns up to 1m diameter. I want to built a 4 way horn system. Ideal would be to make two towers, one satellite for the horns, and one only for the bass. Space is a issue. So i a trying to find a way to integrate the bass in the horn tower.
I am thinking if a backloaded basshorn. But, there are some compromises. Bass is not directional, however, if i cross at 150hz, i have still output at 200hz, even with a steep 18db filter. the bass waves will reflect on the mid-bass horn... any suggestion for a better solution ?

Angelo

Joe Alesi
12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
hello Guido

the bass waves will reflect on the mid-bass horn... any suggestion for a better solution ?

Angelo

Hello Angelo,

Ideally a taller/larger enclosure, but trying to reduce size as much as possible a not neccessarily better, but a different solution could be:

move the HF and mid bass horns closer together (possibly angle the mid bass horn upwards) and put the bass driver below (on the bottom of the enclosure) and have the rear output of the bass diver directed through the bass horn and out of the sides or back of the enclosure, for further reinforcement by the room walls or corner. Also it would require electronic time alignment- not sure if that was on your agenda or you were passive xover only.

If this were a problem you could maintain the same vertical arrangement shown, but move the bass driver back into physical alignment with the mid bass horn driver. Everything is a compromise.

Woody Banks
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Angelo

I was so taken with your speaker system that I printed a copy to share with my current wife. She looked at the photo and said "NOT ONLY NO! BUT HELL NO!
This is the same person that called my Hartsfields that are currently listed on AudioGon "BOAT ANCHORS". I have now decided upon my next project.:D There is a term used here in the US called WAF. It usually stands for Wife Acceptance Factor. What I think it really should be is WAP or Without Any Phallus.
Thanks again for sharing the photos and providing me with a new quest.

Cheers!
Woody

hjames
12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Angelo

I was so taken with your speaker system that I printed a copy to share with my current wife. She looked at the photo and said "NOT ONLY NO! BUT HELL NO!
This is the same person that called my Hartsfields that are currently listed on AudioGon "BOAT ANCHORS".

Thanks again for ... providing me with a new quest.

Cheers!
Woody

Errr ... what quest - a new Wife?? he he he

badda Boom! Hey, we'll be here all week ...

rs237
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Angelo

This is the same person that called my Hartsfields that are currently listed on AudioGon "BOAT ANCHORS". I have now decided upon my next project.:D There is a term used here in the US called WAF. It usually stands for Wife Acceptance Factor. What I think it really should be is WAP or Without Any Phallus.

Cheers!
Woody

Hello Woody,
My english is very bad, i understood correctly, you sell your most beautiful
Hartsfields (i ever saw) because of a woman?
If so, have you a picture of this women ??

regards
juergen

audiovoice
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Angelo

Cheers!
Woody

hi Woody

i am lucky my wife doesn't bother with my hobby. So what will be your next speaker ?

Woody Banks
12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Angelo

I love the two way system you shared with us. Mine will look different of course. but it will be a bass cabinet with the curved sides and a large wooden horn. I will be rebuilding my wood lathe this week if all goes well. :happyh:

Regards
Woody

Woody Banks
12-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Guten Tag Joergen

I couldn't find a current photo of the wife but she looks like someone in between these women!

rs237
12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Hello woody,

wow for the woman on the top picture, I would even sell my Bose speakers.
:D

regards juergen

ps i hope that I have not offended you.

A9X
12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
hello Guido

i am swiss .
this week i got a big wood lathe ready, and i can turn MDF horns up to 1m diameter. I want to built a 4 way horn system. Ideal would be to make two towers, one satellite for the horns, and one only for the bass. Space is a issue. So i a trying to find a way to integrate the bass in the horn tower.
I am thinking if a backloaded basshorn. But, there are some compromises. Bass is not directional, however, if i cross at 150hz, i have still output at 200hz, even with a steep 18db filter. the bass waves will reflect on the mid-bass horn... any suggestion for a better solution ?

AngeloFront load the LF driver and have the flare exit with the mouth at floor level, either pointing down (raise enclosure up) or bifurcate and have the mouths on either side. Edgar does something like this with the Slimlines.

Also, go active; messing with steep slopes on passives is expensive and time sonsuming.

A9X
12-23-2007, 02:18 PM
What I think it really should be is WAP or Without Any Phallus.

Cheers!
WoodyThen shouldn't you change your name? :)