PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads Guitar Festival

Ducatista47
11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Forgive me if this is old news, but I finally fell out from under my rock when I came home from work tonight and caught some of the 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival on PBS HDTV. Two things stood way, way out to me.

I saw Steve Winwood playing guitar incredibly well in Chicago in the (sixties?) with Blind Faith. He hasn't lost a step and he blew Clapton off the stage with his talent. He was even more exciting than Derek Trucks.

And my man, Jeff Beck. Introducing me to...Tal Wilkenfeld. Have you seen/heard this woman? Never mind that she looks about fourteen. She is the most fun bass player to hear/watch since Jaco. Perhaps she plays too much, but Jeff was digging it too. That anyone her age could toe to toe in sync with the best living electric guitarist is amazing, but they were good together.
Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGCOq89a2o and this http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&fg=rss&vid=5b66095f-67a9-4f9e-b08e-aa321ae8d250&from=imbot_en-au
From her album:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zO6HPgQ3w&feature=related
Is the sound any good on the DVD? I read it came out on the 20th of this month.

Clark In Peoria

BMWCCA
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I saw that tonight, too. I think I'm hitting Best Buy tomorrow ($19.95 in stock). I have the previous Crossroads DVD set and the sound is great (Johnny Lang is amazing on it as is John Mayer, incredibly). But I'm only into 2-channel. I heard it was shot in HD so the picture should be good. My middle daughter was brought up listening to Winwood (the others have their own taste!) so she'll be blown away. I sent her a UTube link to "Had to Cry Today". Trucks was quite good in his set with his wife and his band. Watch his hands. It's players like Trucks that caused me to give up guitar...

speakerdave
11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I saw what was played on PBS tonight.

I wouldn't say Steve Winwood blew Clapton off the stage. I would say he played very well some material that seemed rather tried and true. And I would also say that Clapton didn't do anything exceptional in the bits that were shown tonight.

Tal was a surprise and a treat to watch. I think that delight is genuine.

As for Jeff Beck--I sat through most of his ????? before I realized he was never going to play any music, and that from beginning to end it was going to be simply a series of loosely strung together tricks-done-with-guitar. It was such an excruciatingly pretentious bore. I've been hanging onto a mint copy of BeckOla in hopes that something would happen to help me see what I was missing, but what I saw tonight confirms me in my first impression. I'm sure his friends are hoping he'll get back to basics at some point.

I enjoyed the John Mayer song "Gravity" enormously. He is a tremendous talent and is maturing personally very well indeed. I will be looking for some CD's by him.

You just might see me at the Best Buy looking for this DVD.

David

priji
11-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Grammy AwardŽ-winning guitar superstar Eric Clapton once again teams up with fellow "guitar gods" to present another Crossroads Guitar Festival, this time from Chicago, America's blues capital. Like its predecessor, the concert was a benefit for Clapton's Crossroads Centre in Antigua, a drug and alcohol education and treatment facility. "The Crossroads Festival is the realization of a dream for me, to gather a group of amazingly talented musicians to perform on one stage," says Clapton, who remains on stage virtually throughout the entire concert. "The Crossroads performers are all musicians I admire and respect." Hosted by comedian and actor Bill Murray, the program features a once-in-a-lifetime gathering of guitar superstars, including Jeff Beck, Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Los Lobos, John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Robbie Robertson, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmie Vaughan, Johnny Winter, Steve Winwood, and more.

Eric Clapton's autobiography, CLAPTON THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY, was released in October 2007, and here's what he writes about first encountering blues music:

"It's very difficult to explain the effect the first blues record I heard had on me, except to say that I recognized it immediately. It was as if I were being reintroduced to something that I already knew, maybe from another, earlier life. For me there is something primitively soothing about this music, and it went straight to my nervous system, making me feel ten feet tall. This was the feeling I had when I first heard the Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee song on Uncle Mac, and the same thing happened when I first heard Big Bill Broonzy."

Big Bill Broonzy, Memphis Minnie, and Tampa Red were among the early blues artists who migrated from the South to Chicago and began performing and recording in the city before World War II. Discover more about the events and individuals who helped make Chicago a mecca for the blues, especially during the 1950s, in the essay (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/essay1.html) by contributor Robert Santelli. Watch excerpts of "Who Do You Love? (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/video.html)," "Anyday (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/video2.html)," and "Dear Mr. Fantasy (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/video3.html)," and browse photos from the festival in the Multimedia Presentation (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/multimedia/index.html).

Bob Womack
11-29-2007, 06:40 AM
And my man, Jeff Beck. Introducing me to...Tal Wilkenfeld. Have you seen/heard this woman? Never mind that she looks about fourteen. She is the most fun bass player to hear/watch since Jaco. Perhaps she plays too much, but Jeff was digging it too. That anyone her age could toe to toe in sync with the best living electric guitarist is amazing, but they were good together.Well, Jeff is an acquired taste, to saw the least. He's gotten bored with standard technique and now does things that pique his interest. Or not at all...

I appreciate the way he has been giving young female players a venue (first Jennifer Batten, now Tal). And now, about Tal:
A. She's simply great. Now playing behind Chic Corea. Gotta have her chops up for that.
B. She's cute. (It doesn't hurt)
C. She's got that guitar face, "take that!" attitude thing.
D. She's clearly enjoying herself.

What could be more fun?

Bob

opimax
11-29-2007, 07:40 AM
I had it set for my DVR and then checked it out in HD, doesn't show here till next week in HD.
I prefer my 1st time of hearing something I like in the best available environment. For me it is my system (best of everybody I know :) ) so I will wait till next week :( and then decide that I will buy it :)

Any opinions on which of the 2 was a more enjoyable show, the original or this ?

Mark

jblnut
11-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I saw Jeff Beck when he toured with Stevie Ray back in the late 80's. I was incredibly excited to see him as "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" were two incredibly important albums for me while I was growing up. They introduced me to a new world of instrumental jazz-fusion that I didn't know existed.

Words can't describe how much he sucked at that show. He decided to tour with a drummer and a keyboard player - no bass. This isn't necessarily a big deal as I play both bass and keys myself and can usually lay down a decent bass line on keys (even better with pedals). But there was literally no bass at all - just a wall of noise with no foundation. I felt sorry for him 2 songs in, as Stevie Ray had flat out rocked the crowd. They (and I) had no idea what to make of this strange bass-less noise-fest.

Most artists are able to play their old tunes as well as the new ones. This allows old and new fans to find some common ground during live shows. Beck sorely needs to learn this lesson. I still love listening to "Wired" but I'm never going to waste my time seeing him again...

jblnut

As for Jeff Beck--I sat through most of his ????? before I realized he was never going to play any music, and that from beginning to end it was going to be simply a series of loosely strung together tricks-done-with-guitar. It was such an excruciatingly pretentious bore. I've been hanging onto a mint copy of BeckOla in hopes that something would happen to help me see what I was missing, but what I saw tonight confirms me in my first impression. I'm sure his friends are hoping he'll get back to basics at some point. Meanwhile my copy of BeckOla is available for the first $10 donation to LHF. PM me a copy of your receipt and your address.

I enjoyed the John Mayer song "Gravity" enormously. He is a tremendous talent and is maturing personally very well indeed. I will be looking for some CD's by him.

You just might see me at the Best Buy looking for this DVD.

David

BMWCCA
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM

You just might see me at the Best Buy looking for this DVD.When you get his "Continuum", arguably his best work, please let me know why the AE decided to take a good recording and give it the sound of an over-driven car stereo. Is it to make it sound like someone over-driving their car stereo when they play it in their car? I enjoy it in the car, but at home on a decent system it's aggravating to hear intentional distortion apparently keyed to the kick-drum. I haven't listened to it in a while to remember when or where it occurs, but you'll figure it out. He was doing something similar with his voice on the Crossroads program. Don't know if that was on purpose or not.

Ducatista47
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, I sure didn't mean to start something. First, I missed a word of explanation or two. In Blind Faith's Chicago gig, Winwood was playing keys for a while while Clapton was the only guitarist. Then Steve switched to strings and did blow Eric off the stage. I know that Clapton has repeatedly admitted that he was hobbled by drugs 24/7 for decades at a time, including that era. Even so, sometimes you are listening to a fine musician and then someone else plays and seven notes later it is clear the second player has more god-given talent. Eric has never claimed to be as talented as some of his famous peers; he does not personally think he is. What he is, is one of the most accomplished musicians of the popular era, no small feat. He has said than he realized early in the game that he could never play like some of the figures he admires. Like what Pete Townsend says about himself.

Jeff Beck probably is the only electric guitarist still playing who a) has been considered great and b) can still play at the top of his form and sometimes does. That would be electric, not amplified guitarist. Like Jimi Hendrix or Harvey Mandel, not like Jim Hall. By the way, I witnessed a great gig about 1976 in Peoria. Jeff's problem with playing/not playing is not that he hates music. He has always hated to participate in the music business, perhaps an extreme example. He even finds trying to repair antique cars less frustrating. ("At least I can throw the wrench.") I can tell that he could still play every note he ever played, but getting him to do so would be tough; it no longer motivates him. I think Carlos Santana could still be in top form too, but he has found that playing with popular vocalists requires a lot of laying back. To each his own, they are after all their own lives to live.

For what it's worth, it seems that all three of the "Gods" of guitar from Surrey have always been uncomfortable or worse with the hyperbole and acclaim bestowed on them by press and fans. So I should stop talking about Jeff Beck in those terms for his sake. I promise not to say it again!

Clark

edgewound
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Jeff Beck's only problem is musical genius. His grasp of rhythm, feel, and harmony and harmonics is way beyond us mere mortals.

I saw him up close and personal at the Universal Amphitheater a few years ago....also saw him at the LA Sports Arena with SRV.

The acoustics at the Sports Arena are as good as any high school gym.

Universal was awesome. The man speaks though his guitar. There is a reason that every modern day guitarist from the last 40 years idolizes him.

Even Jimi Hendrix learned from Beck....and Beck can smoke Clapton and Page on any given day...but Clapton can sing with his voice.

4313B
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
For what it's worth, it seems that all three of the "Gods" of guitar from Surrey have always been uncomfortable or worse with the hyperbole and acclaim bestowed on them by press and fans. So I should stop talking about Jeff Beck in those terms for his sake. I promise not to say it again!Yeah, they're guitar players... it's probably best to put that fact in context. :)

jblnut
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
His live album "Trio" is even worse - I made better bootlegs with a cassette walkman 20 years ago. The man needs to hang with better engineers - period !

jblnut

When you get his "Continuum", arguably his best work, please let me know why the AE decided to take a good recording and give it the sound of an over-driven car stereo. Is it to make it sound like someone over-driving their car stereo when they play it in their car? I enjoy it in the car, but at home on a decent system it's aggravating to hear intentional distortion apparently keyed to the kick-drum. I haven't listened to it in a while to remember when or where it occurs, but you'll figure it out. He was doing something similar with his voice on the Crossroads program. Don't know if that was on purpose or not.

speakerdave
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Jeff Beck's only problem is musical genius. His grasp of rhythm, feel, and harmony and harmonics is way beyond us mere mortals. . . .

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something.

. . . . There is a reason that every modern day guitarist from the last 40 years idolizes him.
. . . .

Maybe that's who he's playing for. His technical mastery is certainly unmistakable.

David

speakerdave
11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, I sure didn't mean to start something. . . .

You didn't; I thought I was the one that had started something. Anyway, I thought I'd come back here and find I'd been run over by a train. I'm surprised at the degree of agreement. Evidently it's a really-like-him-(his playing)-alot or really-not-like-him-very-much-at-all kind of thing.

David

BMWCCA
11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
His live album "Trio" is even worse - I made better bootlegs with a cassette walkman 20 years ago. The man needs to hang with better engineers - period !I recall hesitating to buy that just on the packaging alone. A lot of money for something in a cardboard folder. I played it once and hated it. Figured I'd go back and try it again and hated it even more. Haven't touched it since and don't even know where I threw it. It ain't in with my other CDs. Trash? That would be fitting. :barf:

rockin'rushmore
12-08-2007, 07:39 PM
If you do decide to get John Mayer's new disc,look for the two disc version.It has a live disc from this summer that's worth the price of it.And btw it's TRY not trio.

BMWCCA
12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, it is called TRY!, but the group is called "The John Mayer Trio", so I guess everyone is right. Certainly right about it being a terrible CD!

rockin'rushmore
12-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Yep,it don't sound to good.To get back to the show ,it was on again last night.Was good to see Los Lobos doin there thing!

Jeff M
12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I think Albert Lee is a far better player then all that were present.:applaud:
Beck always made me want to put on some real music after 10 minutes. Talented..........yes. Enjoyable to listen to.........NO.:blink:
Clapton is WAY overated, but has his devoted followers from the 60's when he made an impression and think that every signature/ repetitive solo is "magic". :blah:
Ricky Skaggs is a pheominal talent and like him jammin with others more than solo.
Mayer is talented, but he is a little too wimpy, atleast in alot of his material. :D

BMWCCA
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
If you're having trouble finding the Crossroads 2007 DVD, hang in there. It was in stock the night the program first aired at Best Buy and many others but soon went into backorder status. I ordered it from Amazon with a bunch of other stuff to give as gifts and the status was listed as "in-stock shipping in two days". A week later the entire order remained un-shipped because "Crossroads" was on backorder and that was holding up my entire "free-shipping" order. I canceled the DVD and the rest of the order shipped within hours. Then I went hunting for Crossroads and hit pay-dirt at Buy.com, and at one of the lowest available prices ($19.98), placed the order last night and got shipping notification today. I just checked and they still show some in stock: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205709177&loc=107

(no affiliation, just a satisfied return-customer)

BMWCCA
11-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Clapton's latest Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 has hit the market and it's well worth a listen/look. Good highs along with some bad lows but Best Buy had their special edition version with extra material on-sale in DVD ($17.95 3-disc set) or BD ($21.95 2-disc) in-store only.

Very well-recorded, though better on some tracks than others.

Some lame observations:

Sonny Landreth deserved the opening set.
I can't seem to get enough of Derek Trucks. This helped.
Sheryl Crow can't sing or play guitar.
Gary Clark, Jr. is a man to watch.
Joe Bonamassa lives up to his well-deserved reputation and I need to get around to buying some of his work.
Sheryl Crow should go back to teaching school.
Robert Cray is still great to hear and see.
B.B. is getting on in age, sadly, but no less-revered, as is his just desert.
John Mayer and Pino Paladino make some great music together.
Earl Klugh can still wow an audience.
Jonny Lang must be doing steroids but it hasn't helped his singing or playing, and I like him. His Live at the Ryman is a fine album.
Who the heck is this Citizen Cope guy and why should we care? I'm open-minded but . . .
Susan Tedeschi has some pipes and can actually play guitar when she wants to;
Sheryl Crow cannot.
ZZ is still ZZ!!
Robert Randolph just gets better and better. What a nice guy.
Bert Jansch! He's still alive??
Stefan Grossman and Keb' Mo' were a pleasant surprise
Warren Haynes has my respect. Overlooked him for too long.
Derek Trucks should have kept his old drummer, Yonrico Scott. Loved his track with Earl Kliugh.
Jeff Beck should have kept Tal with him but he can still make some noise!
Sheryl Crow wouldn't make the first cut on American Idol.

The Extras disc in the Best Buy DVD version may not be worth searching for unless you like Sheryl Crow or Citizen Cope. You do get Glad with Clapton and Winwood and another Trucks/Tedeschi piece though, more Gury Clark Jr., and a Clapton interview. I believe the same extras are included on the 2-disc Best Buy Blue Ray version.

grumpy
11-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Sounds worth a spin...
... but what do you think of Sheryl Crow?:duck:

BMWCCA
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Even Lance got fed up with Sheryl, and he's a jerk.

I guess I should have recognized Gary Clark Jr. from the John Sayles film Honeydripper which had its debut right here in my home town with the director present. It was a great film and I'm a real Sales fan. Now I realize just how well-cast it was, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si3_TSw2wQ

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/

Ducatista47
02-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Jeff Beck's only problem is musical genius. His grasp of rhythm, feel, and harmony and harmonics is way beyond us mere mortals.

I saw him up close and personal at the Universal Amphitheater a few years ago....also saw him at the LA Sports Arena with SRV.

The acoustics at the Sports Arena are as good as any high school gym.

Universal was awesome. The man speaks though his guitar. There is a reason that every modern day guitarist from the last 40 years idolizes him.

Even Jimi Hendrix learned from Beck....and Beck can smoke Clapton and Page on any given day...but Clapton can sing with his voice.

Edge, you and I got kind of lonely here extolling Jeff Beck's musicality as well as talent. Here is some backup from the Man himself. Not a "trick" in sight that Hendrix himself didn't play, and while not an imitation, as close to the original's feel as I have ever heard. As good as SRV did it. Isle of Wight, June, 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcpiD0ZwBUw&feature=related