PDA

View Full Version : Almost funny...

Regis
03-03-2004, 10:51 AM
The whole crazy situation started out with wanting to get a picture of the 128H woofer for Ebay. The wife, who I'm separated from has the digital camera too, so there I am at her house, snapping pics of this woofer, when I decide that I need to test this thing too. But what to test it with? I spy the 4628 Caberet speaker and figure, what the heck, I can pull the woofer out of the huge cab and hook up this 12" just to see how it sounds.

Mmmm, after pulling the grills, I see there's eight screws instead of four. Damn is thing heavy! It's almost a wrestling match to get the huge E145 out of the hole. I've got the 128H next to it and it looks very small in comparison. The gent who mod'd his L-150's with bigger wiring, might percieve better bass, but the stock woofer wiring on the 4628 is just as small as the speakers I have at home.

The 128H tests ok, though I do have to push the volume up to get it to even run off've the crossover. Now to put the E145 back. It's best to do this with the speaker laying on it's back, because you aren't going to be holding the woofer with one hand and starting any of the eight screws with the other. After lining up the rubber gasket on the giant woofer, I hook it up and prepare to drop it in. I nearly pinch a couple of finger tips doing it, this thing has to weigh at least 25 pounds! I'm screwing in all the screws when I notice that one of them is just spinning, meaning the T-nut fell out. Damn, this is screw number 7 I've started. How do I get the T-nut out?

Doesn't take long to figure out. I can actually put my whole arm all the way up to my shoulder into the port and rummage around in the bottom. There it is! I reach up underneath and get it going. I finish up, put the ugly black grill on with the garish orange plastic JBL logo on and plug the phone jack in, then wiggle the 108 lb beast back against the wall. Gotta test it, right? The wife is not home yet. This is good. I haven't heard these speakers for a long time.

Rummage around what little CD's I have there and find "The Best of U2" and my gold edition of "Dark Side of the Moon". Power it up and you know what? BoPutnam is right on. It's better to hear a large speaker loafing, then a small speaker working. I've been told that these beasts just aren't efficient or don't make as good as speakers for the home (besides being brutally black, with handles no less). They sounded really good. I put a moderate amount of volume to U2's "Bad" and you could here the tamborine clearly, the midrange was solid and when the drums came on, the bass was running effortlessly. Next was "Money". A tad more volume, but nothing you couldn't hear outside the house. God, do these speakers sound great! Crisp, clear and powerful. Damn, the key is rattling in the door. The wife is home. "Turn that crap down! It's too damn loud!" 'Au contraire! It ain't loud enuff!' No wonder I'm on my own.

Robh3606
03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Hello Regis

Now you went add did it! I had a similar experience with 4655bk which are not as good as the 4628. Big is good! Damn those 12's do look small compared to the 15's! Especially out of the cabinet.

Rob:) :cheers:

boputnam
03-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Regis
God, do these speakers sound great! Crisp, clear and powerful. :yes: But just wait 'til you hear them after you get your arm OUTA that port!! :rotfl:

mikebake
03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
"It's better to hear a large speaker loafing, then a small speaker working."

Hey, you're stealing my stock phrase!!!!!!!! That has been my motto forever!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!

Regis
03-03-2004, 12:27 PM
I thought that was Boputnam who quouted that. I did try to attribute it to the correct author. That phrase fully applies in this case. Damn, maybe I should sell the 150's...

Hofmannhp
03-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
:yes: But just wait 'til you hear them after you get your arm OUTA that port!! :rotfl:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

thats Bo ORIGINAL......:spin:

thank for this humor

:thmbsup: HP

Regis
03-03-2004, 03:14 PM
They are fugly. But pretty in a "Mack Truck" kind of way. "Yes, honey, these will look fine in the living room" (yah, who cares what they look like? what do they SOUND like?)