PDA

View Full Version : Diy Cabaret

John W
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Just finishing up on a pair of Cabaret-like 3 ways. I’ve had my eye on the 4628's for a while and decided to build a pair updated just a bit.

The overall size, baffle layout and tuning are the same as the original but from there I made a few changes. One change was to mirror image the pair and angle the side walls back a little in a trapezoid fashion. I also set up the grills to wrap around the front a little, to reduce the side reflections if I decided to listen to them without the grills. The handles are recessed into the cabinets.

Like the originals the cabinet material is birch plywood, hoping to make them a little lighter and tougher for lugging around. With the E145s they are still a back breaker no matter what you do.

I already had the E145s and 2404s. The midranges are the equivalent but somewhat higher power 2119H rather than the 2118H.

I started out with a home built version of the stock crossover. This sounded just ok in full-range mode but the speakers really came alive when bi-amped. Not sure I wanted to bi-amp all the time, I swapped in a charged coupled 800hz crossover from a different project. The other crossover is a lot more complex, but doesn’t run the E145 full-range all the time. This sounded so much better, I decided to rebuild using this version. I kept in the bi-amp switch, which leaves the mid-tweeter section as is, and releases the E145 to run flat out.

Anyway here are a few pictures.

John W
11-20-2007, 03:23 PM
A few more...

4313B
11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Really nice John! :)

yggdrasil
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Great work, again, John. :applaud:

mikebake
11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
That's a great box! Way to go. What use will you put them to?

macaroonie
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
well those are cute and built to your usual superb standards. Birch too no MDF.
I like the biscuit joint. :applaud:
Only one question -- could you not get a whisky tube for the port:D

John W
11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
That's a great box! Way to go. What use will you put them to?

Thanks,
My oldest daughter is getting married on March. The plan is to use them at the reception, with one of her friends acting as DJ. Anyway, its a good excuse for more speakers...:D

macaroonie
11-20-2007, 05:57 PM
So these are for your speech that you are preparing already hmmmmmm ?:p
The very best of luck to all of you and your family when the big day comes.

mikebake
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks,
My oldest daughter is getting married on March. The plan is to use them at the reception, with one of her friends acting as DJ. Anyway, its a good excuse for more speakers...:D
Wow. Those will be great. Fidelity plus power. A fun box to play with. I hope the friend/Dj appreciates them.

Fangio
11-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Drop-dead gorgeous, the finish. You'd think SR stuff can have good WAF as well! :)

johnaec
11-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Those came out really nice! Maybe someday I'll try something similar for my beat-up 4628B's...

John

edgewound
11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Great work as always, John!

I bet they sound even better with those new networks.

Your daughter's wedding will rock....Congrats.

jlac4
07-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Hello John I' m planing to rebuilt my 4628b like yours .It' s a good idea and you did a good job .Would you mind to give me the schematics of the crossover you did like the photos with the values of the components .

John W
07-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Hi,
I still listen to these, they are one of my favorites.

Here is the crossover, and a few rough plots of the response. The measurement was taken with the speakers pointing out the back of the garage door. I was considering making a change to bring down the small hump around 2k, but changed my mind. I guess I just like the way they sound, so don't see the need.

jlac4
08-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the reply

badman
08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Nice build- if I may, a simple addition of a series inductor on the mid would likely smooth things out quite a bit- .5mH would probably be a good starting point.

DualTriode
09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Hello John W,

I see in post 14 of this thread that the crossover frequency between the 2119’s and 2404’s is near 4.2kHz.
JBL calls the 2119 a high power 2118. I cannot put my eyes on any data for the 2119. Will you tell us more about how you selected the crossover frequency and your impressions regarding the performance?

I am in the process of using 2118’s and hopefully 2404’s in a personal, compact 3-way, project.

All just for fun!
DT

John W
09-01-2014, 07:51 PM
I kept the original 4628 crossover frequency for the 2118/2404. From what I read at the time, it was best to treat the 2119 the same as a 2118.
It seems like a fairly good range. You gain the advantages of the small horn and don't compromise too much in power handling. I don't think you should go much lower, and I'm not sure how much higher the 2118 will go before it begins to drop off on it's own.

martin_wu99
06-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Just finishing up on a pair of Cabaret-like 3 ways. I’ve had my eye on the 4628's for a while and decided to build a pair updated just a bit.

The overall size, baffle layout and tuning are the same as the original but from there I made a few changes. One change was to mirror image the pair and angle the side walls back a little in a trapezoid fashion. I also set up the grills to wrap around the front a little, to reduce the side reflections if I decided to listen to them without the grills. The handles are recessed into the cabinets.

Like the originals the cabinet material is birch plywood, hoping to make them a little lighter and tougher for lugging around. With the E145s they are still a back breaker no matter what you do.

I already had the E145s and 2404s. The midranges are the equivalent but somewhat higher power 2119H rather than the 2118H.

I started out with a home built version of the stock crossover. This sounded just ok in full-range mode but the speakers really came alive when bi-amped. Not sure I wanted to bi-amp all the time, I swapped in a charged coupled 800hz crossover from a different project. The other crossover is a lot more complex, but doesn’t run the E145 full-range all the time. This sounded so much better, I decided to rebuild using this version. I kept in the bi-amp switch, which leaves the mid-tweeter section as is, and releases the E145 to run flat out.

Anyway here are a few pictures.
Great job!my friend want to make new 4628 just like yours,do you have the cab drawing?thank you!