PDA

View Full Version : 4355 variant

Woody Banks
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is a shot of a 4355 variant that I have been putting together. I have always lusted after Ken's Westlakes but could never afford the price. If they sound bad, I will part them out and make a tree house out of the cabinet.

saeman
11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Woody: OUT-----STANDING. Just logged on and saw your post. I saw your drawing some time back but they always look better in real life. I like the powerful vertical grain pattern on the baffle. As you now know, doing a veneered baffle really adds a lot of time to the project - but the results on your end appear to be worth the effort. I'm sure I'll do another one sometime too.

Waiting for pics of the finished project - Rick:bouncy:

grumpy
11-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Very Nice! Make sure you hang them upside down ;)

Robh3606
11-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Nice!! You using the Smith Horn/2397??

Rob:)

richluvsound
11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Woody,
I'm looking forward to more info on this project. keep us posted . What are you using for a Xover ? I can get an eastlake design to clone , but westlake is another matter.

Rich

Woody Banks
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Nice!! You using the Smith Horn/2397??

Rob:)

I will be using the Smith horns I built out of 1.5" jotoba.
The crossovers are thanks to Giskard's schematic that he posted and the cabinets were built using Rick Riessen's posted plans. Thanks guys!

yggdrasil
11-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Looking great. Keep the pictures and impressions coming.

Woody Banks
12-16-2007, 05:08 PM
It appears that the 4355's variants and everything else I own will soon be offered for sale. I will post progress photos later this week. The Hartsfields clones, the L300 clones the granite covered surround system (4702X), crossovers, compression drivers etc. etc. I hope to generate a complete list with photos. It looks like the Hartsfields will be the first to go. :(

Joe Alesi
12-16-2007, 05:52 PM
It appears that the 4355's variants and everything else I own will soon be offered for sale. I will post progress photos later this week. The Hartsfields clones, the L300 clones the granite covered surround system (4702X), crossovers, compression drivers etc. etc. I hope to generate a complete list with photos. It looks like the Hartsfields will be the first to go. :(
Hello Woody,

I hope everything is or will be OK for you and it is not a reluctant/forced sale. Best of Luck

mech986
12-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Ditto, sorry to hear that and hope everything is OK. Where in Oregon are you located as I have family in Portland and a number of audiophile friends in the area who might be interested. Will the cabs go empty or populated with parts and drivers?

Hope we can help.

Regards,

Bart

Woody Banks
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
The 4355 variants will be loaded this week with two new in the box 2235H's and two more in MINT condiotion. The 12" drivers are both new ME120HS's also used in the S2600 system. The Smith horns are constructed of 1.75" Jotoba and are heavy as hell. The 2441's both have 2440 diaphragms for what ever reason. The tweeters are new 2405H's or I may decide to use a pair of 077's I just rebuilt. The crossovers are Giskard's design using premium components. The grill cloth is the OEM "Blue" thanks to a good friend of mine.
To power this pile of speakers I have available a Quicksilver preamp, a Bryston 3B NPB and and old Harmon Kardon Citation 16. The active crossover is the Ashly XR1001. Photos will be forthcoming. I will be happy to arrange an audition with any interested folks after the Holiday rush.

Regards
Woody

richluvsound
12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Hello Woody,

I hope everything is or will be OK for you and it is not a reluctant/forced sale. Best of Luck

DITTO

Rich

Woody Banks
12-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Here are a few photos of some of the components .

Woody Banks
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
After a few hours of effort I managed to squeeze the horns into place. I moved the operation from my 40 degree shop to the heated rec. room. A few more coats of Watco are still in order.

Woody Banks
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I finally got around to loading the drivers in the cabinets. I have the grills built for the top but I think I will not install them for now. The L pads are mounted inside. You need to reach through the port to make adjustments. The fabric looks black but it is the OEM blue color.

rs237
02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello Woody,
Cool, almost as beautiful as your Hartfields.

regards

juergen

ps you have your Hartfields already sold?

Woody Banks
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello Juergen

I thought I had the Hartsfields sold, but my buyer did a disappearing act on me. I even went ahead and built the shipping boxes and had them ready to go. Oh well, such is life!
Excellent job on your Hartsfield project. Many hours of hard work there. Very nice photos.

Regards
Woody

rs237
02-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Hello Woody,

That I am sorry. You are right, such is life! I wish you to the next buyer more lucky.
Thank you for the compliments. Yes, there was a lot of work, but it has also made a lot of fun :D.

regards
juergen

richluvsound
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Hello Juergen

I thought I had the Hartsfields sold, but my buyer did a disappearing act on me. I even went ahead and built the shipping boxes and had them ready to go. Oh well, such is life!
Excellent job on your Hartsfield project. Many hours of hard work there. Very nice photos.

Regards
Woody

Woody,

he did'nt deserve them my friend. They are real butes !!!!!!

Rich

Woody Banks
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Since the Hartsfields are still around, it looks like I will be putting the 4355's on the auction block in a couple of weeks. I may hook them up where they sit and see how the piano likes them. I picked up an old HK Citation Sixteen for the bottoms and a little Bryston 3B for the top. I will at least give a listen first.

Woody Banks
04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Finally got around to finishing the grills with the OEM blue cloth.

hjames
04-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Finally got around to finishing the grills with the OEM blue cloth.

I love your cabinets - the wood finish and that beautiful baffleboard ...
You did great with this project.
Thats said, there is just something strange about those duck lips poking through the grill screen!
:applaud:

Woody Banks
04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Heather

You are correct. These were designed after watching a Daffy Duck cartoon. Thanks for making me laugh. :D