PDA

View Full Version : pignose tube amp

indycraft
11-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I am curious as to the suitability of a couple of pignose tube amplifiers for home stereo use. These are in extemely good condition and I have known the seller for 35 years. He is not sure whether they would make good amps to drive either l-100s or 4311bs. They are 40 watts rms. Tubes are 2-6L6GC, and 3-12AX7A. They have volume, bass, mid, treb, presence, and gain. They are AB amps.

He wants $150 each.

Thank you in advance.

Indy

Rusnzha
11-16-2007, 01:54 AM
I never saw Pignose tube amps, but the little solid state Pignoses were guitar amps. The presence of a gain control probably indicates that these are also guitar amps. This would make them unsuitable for playing CDs through your JBLs. Guitar amps are not very flat and usually have limited frequency response. They are also made to distort. This is very cool for playing electric guitar on speakers made for this purpose, but not so hot for listening to music on your JBLs.

indycraft
11-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Yes they are guitar amps and I had assumed one wouldn't plug their stereo sources directly into a guitar input. I guess I had hope there would be a way to modify the inputs to the amp to accept a line level (?) signal.

Thanks.

Bart

Allanvh5150
11-16-2007, 04:12 AM
yes , the Pignose is a guitar amp and would have gain and coloration not suited for audio playback. However, I think $150 each for them is a steal. Being a guitar player I would snap them up just for my amp collection.