PDA

View Full Version : JBL L56

clubman
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Is 100 bucks cash to much for these, all components in good working order.

BMWCCA
11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
You buyin' or sellin'?

clubman
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
buyin, dont know what for. But one can never have to many speakers:D

jay
11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Careful Clubman, for some unknown reason, L56's sound 'peculiar'. I can't say why exactly, maybe there's a hole in the response, or the drivers don't agree somehow, but they are different sounding. All I know is, I much preferred the L46's to the L56's.

Suggest a thorough audition for you buy.

Jay

DanMan
11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
100 bucks is a very decent price if they're in good acoustic condition. I agree with jay, they do sound different, but its all in how you define different and what you use that for.

to me the L56 have an 'electric' sound similar to the gibson les paul electric guitars of the early 60's. you can just hear the electricity coming out of those guitars (not feedback) it was just the electric sound coming out of them. I dont know how else to describe it. the L56's have that same sound and seem to be moreso than the L46. (maybe cause they have a larger voice, that sound comes through more).

if you're playing rock-ish music from the 60s and 70s through the L56's you will be amazed as it reproduces sound from that era with amazing realism, or maybe an amazingly matched boost to the sound from that era.. imho.

but yeah if you're playing more modern music (without much electric guitar) or classical or similar, they have what could be described as a funky hole or disagreement in the response.

curious to see what you hear with them.

brutal
11-18-2007, 12:25 AM
My L56's are pulling duty in a spare room I use for tuning & repairing gear. I listen to them while working in there, and occasionally hook them up to a new amp after I've adjusted DC offset and bias levels, just to check things out.

They're not bad little 2-ways, but do seem to have a hole in the response. But then, my ear is trained to 3-ways. FWIW, I STOLE mine off CL for $40. They needed some TLC due to a pretty pronounced plant ring on the top of one. A quick sanding and re-oiling brought them right back.