PDA

View Full Version : JBL HT4V

oznob
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
In my seemingly endless search for the right speaker for my main listening room, I came accross a good deal on a pair of HT4V's. Does anyone have any experience or heard these speakers? There seems to be very little about them on the web or on the forum. I will not be able to audition them before I buy due to the distance from where I live. I have dealt with the seller several times, all very positive transactions. He says they are like new with the factory box and manual. I would be pairing them, at least temporarily, with the Venue Sub 10. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

clubman
11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I myself am wondering about the same line? I can't find any in my area to listen to for HT applications.

grumpy
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Haven't heard 'em. Would get you a start on the Synthesis HT system (now
deprecated?):

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

What would be going out if these go in? Not sure I'd personally go with this type of system for main listening... at least not w/o auditioning. :dont-know

oznob
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm wanting to put my L1's back in my bedroom and have something new and compact in the living room for both music and movies. I have a quality pair of stands for them and they would fit nicely flanking my TV. I like the vertical array concept and they are video shielded. The L1's do rainbow the TV a bit.

brutal
11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Too bad you just missed these. Hope you're getting a good deal. Sorry I can't help with anything subjective.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-HT4V-THX-CERTIFIED-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ130167625652QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14991Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Titanium Dome
11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Read this:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=HT4V&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=HTE

then this:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=SVA1500&CheckProduct=Y

Don C
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
More reading:
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HT4V-Z&status=

Titanium Dome
11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
The HT4V is essentially an updated SVA1500 with a Ti dome instead of a soft dome tweeter (and crossover adjustments). The HT4H is essentially an updated SVA Center.

So, anyone who's heard an SVA1500 or SVA1600 will have a good idea about the imaging, presence, dynamics, clarity, etc. of the HT4V. Of course, the Ti dome in the horn is a bit more direct and its response is more precise and powerful than the soft dome it replaces. The soft dome seemed to be a little too easy to overdrive and burn up, plus it was sibilant when driven hard.

Still the SVA Series is admired by some, including me, and the HT Series is an improvement on the bottom model, the SVA1500. Plus the HT Series is intended to be used with the HTPS400 subwoofer, and a pair of HT4Vs and an HTPS400 will kick the ass of my pair of SVA2100s with their 10" woofers.

oznob
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. The "special" price for the reconditioned speakers is nearly $800 from Harman and a new pair sold on ebay for $300, thanks Brutal! Quite a difference in price! It sure pays to shop and get advice from the forum. The seller wants $400 plus shipping for his pair which he says are like new. I will certainly have to think about this.

Hey Ti, I have heard the HTPS400 sub and it really thumps! Sure would like to get my hands on one!

oznob
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I went ahead and bought the HT4V's for $400 only because the seller included shipping. They arrived today in almost like new condition. I have been listening to them for a few hours with a variety of music, DVD's etc. I have them hooked up to an HK 3480 stereo receiver with the Venue Sub 10 set to about 80 hz, low volume. They are on 24" inch heavy metal stands which seems to be a good height with the tweeters at ear level. Thinking back to the boat load of speakers I have had, I believe these are my first in a "D'appolito" configuration. The first thing that struck me was the great integration of the bass drivers and the tweeter. To my ears, no one particular instrument drew much attention to itself. I like the vocals, both male and female, which do seem to take center stage with most recordings. From Sade to Keb Mo, the vocals sound right to me, maybe a bit forward. I plan to really put them through their paces over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Titanium Dome
11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Good on ya, mate! Those little biters will chew some 'nads.

Wear a cup.

oznob
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I have lived with these for a short time and I am trying to like them. I am not impressed with the upper frequencies but vocals are spot on. It almost seems the highs get a bit "washed out" in exchange for upper mid-range. No doubt a home theater influence on voicing. They are rated to 20K hz but with a +/- 6 db. I have read some specs that rate them to only 18K hz. Probably not a huge deal at my age? I did pick up a pair of Studio L 830's, brand new, off ebay at a great price! I will do an A/B/C with the HT4V's and the L1's. I did do some listening to the 830's today and I can tell the high end is more pronouced than the 4V's and they have that puchy JBL bass. I'm considering starting a JBL bookshelf collection of which I have a good start. Would really like to pick up a nice pair of 18ti's as well as 20's.

Titanium Dome
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
If they haven't really grown on you by now, they probably won't. Frankly, I find the SVA1800 and SVA2100 speakers more satisfying.

The SVA1800 runs from 35Hz to 20kHz crossing over at 1.6khz with 92db sensitivity, and the SVA2100 runs from 30Hz to 20kHz crossing over at 1.2kHz with 93dB sensitivity.

The HT4V runs from 50Hz to 20kHz crossing over at 2.5 kHz with only 88dB sensitivity, much like the SVA1500. The HT4Vs will like more power than their larger cousins in order to provide similar output. Since the Ti tweeter in the horn is covering so much territory it may be purposefully attenuated at the top to keep it from frying.

Heaven knows I've roasted a few of the soft dome tweeters in the SVAs.

Using them with a sub helps a lot, especially if it covers up to 100 or 130Hz.

oznob
01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
About a year ago I boxed up a nice pair of HT4V's and put them away. At the time I wasn't all that impressed with their sound in my old house, especially without a good subwoofer.

Fast forward a year, new house, new flat screen w/cabinet, new Marantz AV receiver and an L8400P sub. They fit the cabinet perfectly flanking the TV. After a lot of fine tuning, I am now more impressed with their performance.They have a very good soundstage, pin-point imaging and vocal accuracy. They are great for music, movies or just watching TV.

I am really glad I hung on to them as they are a near perfect fit for my current needs.

Titanium Dome
01-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear they've got a second lease on life. I never considered putting them with an L8400P, but since I paired some PT800s with one, I can imagine that it works well with the HTs too. It's really a pretty good sub.

oznob
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Glad to hear they've got a second lease on life. I never considered putting them with an L8400P, but since I paired some PT800s with one, I can imagine that it works well with the HTs too. It's really a pretty good sub.

It is quick and tight and keeps up with the HT's very well. I feel that, musically, it's better than those "one note wonders" from Velodyne and Sunfire.:yes: Some may laugh at this but another sub I really like, and currently own, is the Klipsch RSW-15. Very balanced, very tight, and the corner placement in my den with the rear firing woofer and front passive helps it blend seemlessly with my L1's. That and, it makes a great end table!:thmbsup: